PDA

View Full Version : The difference's between YKS & SN Siu lim tao

UNDERDOG 2
10-12-2005, 05:38 PM
:eek: I thought this might provide some interesting reading I was discussing yesterday with sifu about the amasing ammount of variations with SLT between styles. I asked about Yuen Kay San's SLT and Sum Nungs SLT thinking that they would of been the same except for the opening which i had heard ( probably from this forum :oP ) that it was created by Sum Nung, which it turned out to be. AS told to me by my Sifu, Yuen Kay San saw in Sum Nung the potential for him to be a really good practisioner of wing chun and a really good master one day so YKS told Sum Nung to add or change some things in SLT to make it his own so to speak. Sum Nung changed 3 things, He changed the opening. I thought he added the opening which we have but Sifu showed me the way YKS would perform SLT and it also has an opening which is a bit different which has a totaly different application, he also changed the wrist movement from a circling movement of the wrist ( not hand ) , to moving the wrist in individual directions ( Palm facing in ) down, up in, out, ( palm facing down) out, in, down. and also the Bong sau section, Although again it is just a minor adjustment, it makes the world of difference to the application of SLT, instead of going from Bong to bringing the hand down real low ( which although looks like a tan sau it isnt, it is a defence against an attack to the lower stomach, by striking with the back of the hand ( palm open) or something ( this is from my observation, I asked if it was a tan but was told no) with SN SLT after the bong sau rolls down then comes across the body instead of straight down to the centre. If you want to see YKS version of SLT check out Mai Gei Wongs site, their SLT is very similar as to how YKS's was, as for SN version, I have not found it on the internet, so if any of my gong fu family ( or me) get a digital camcorder I'll stick it up for you all to see. :o)

take care

Louis

Sihing73
10-12-2005, 08:30 PM
Hello,

It's funny how many ways there are to say the same thing. I am reminded of all of the different variations of fonts found in word processing and graphics programs. Many of the different fonts are very similar. Yest despite all of the "differences" with few exceptions, when you put the letters together, even in different fonts, the end result is the written word. In other words they end up saying the same thing.

The forms are a guide to understanding the concepts and provide a point of reference. Explore other martial arts and you will find that very few people can perform the same form exactly alike. Look closely and tell me if you see the subtle differences in energy and weight distribution even when two students are from the same school. I think that each and every one of us needs to "make the art our own". As WSL said we should not become slaves to the system.

Rather than focus on the outward shape, look at the underlying concept. You may notice more alike than different.

UNDERDOG 2
10-13-2005, 06:21 AM
Hello,

It's funny how many ways there are to say the same thing. I am reminded of all of the different variations of fonts found in word processing and graphics programs. Many of the different fonts are very similar. Yest despite all of the "differences" with few exceptions, when you put the letters together, even in different fonts, the end result is the written word. In other words they end up saying the same thing.

The forms are a guide to understanding the concepts and provide a point of reference. Explore other martial arts and you will find that very few people can perform the same form exactly alike. Look closely and tell me if you see the subtle differences in energy and weight distribution even when two students are from the same school. I think that each and every one of us needs to "make the art our own". As WSL said we should not become slaves to the system.

Rather than focus on the outward shape, look at the underlying concept. You may notice more alike than different.Thanks how true, I have studied many different wing chun styles every schools seems to teach the forms different but they are still the same. Agreed