PDA

View Full Version : Legends of Wingchun!

reneritchie
10-13-2005, 10:28 AM
http://www.legendsofwingchun.com/

Discussion welcome!

Ernie
10-13-2005, 12:55 PM
somebody's fishing for a movie deal ;)

Wayfaring
10-13-2005, 03:13 PM
http://www.notalegend.com

Equal airtime, man. :D

reneritchie
10-13-2005, 06:56 PM
Make it a trifekta:

I AM LEGEND (http://www.wingchunkuen.com/modules.php?name=Amazon&asin=031286504X)

Now enough with the hijacks/hijinx :p

snakebyte8
10-13-2005, 08:54 PM
Looks interesting. :)

n.mitch
10-13-2005, 10:24 PM
sounds good do we get a free copy on the forum (ha ha)

reneritchie
10-14-2005, 07:17 AM
BeLikeWater - We've had on-and-off talks about revising Complete Wing Chun. No decision has been made yet. It's always a trade-off between revisiting the old and doing something new.

Wayfaring
10-14-2005, 08:24 AM
Rene,

Your novel sounds interesting. I always have liked fiction that has some reality based elements to it. That way you can have a good story line and include points of reference that are true enough to lend credibility to the story line.

Plus, there just aren't that many fictional novels written by wc practitioners, so you have niche market appeal.

I'm an avid reader, so would probably enjoy sitting down with it over a plane flight or long weekend...

reneritchie
10-14-2005, 09:16 AM
Wayfaring,

Same here. Most of the time I only write what I want but can't get. That was true for CWC and YKS, and it's true for Legends of Wingchun.

marcus_pasram
10-14-2005, 09:55 AM
Rene!

You just HAD to go and write another book; didn't ya? :p :p :p

Seriously, congratulations. Not many people get around to do the truly rewwarding things in life. Your story interesting and I look forward to splitting my hard earned ca$hola between you and your editors (http://www.soyouwanna.com/site/syws/publishbook/publishbook.html) ;) What do we gotta do for signed copies? :D

BTW, any book fans out there, check out Timothy Mo's Sour Sweet (http://www.postcolonialweb.org/uk/mo/soursweetov.html). Its a interesting perspective of a chinese family struggling to make it in 1960's England.

/Marcus

Wayfaring,

Same here. Most of the time I only write what I want but can't get. That was true for CWC and YKS, and it's true for Legends of Wingchun.

reneritchie
10-14-2005, 11:11 AM
Hey Marcus,

I'm working out the distribution now, so I'll find out and let you know :)

Writing is a compulsion for me. If it wasn't this, it would have been something else. However, I'm happy it was this :)

kj
10-14-2005, 12:01 PM
Kudos, René. Like Marcus, I'm happy to see that you've found such a productive way to immerse yourself in something you so enjoy. I’m looking forward to the read.

Seeking to learn from the best practitioners in any field, here is something I’d like to pick your brain about:

I realize you've amassed an incredible array of notes and source materials through the years, and of course the influx is continuous. How have you managed to organize your wealth of material in a usable fashion? What things worked well, and what things frustrated you or could have gone better? Do you keep virtually everything, or do you instead have an effective method for "leaning out" your library?

Little doubt your near photographic memory is instrumental in your particular case. Still, even for you there must be at least a little something more in the way of process, methods, or useful habits. Posing my question here rather than offline in that I'm sure there are others who could benefit from improvements in their Wing Chun "materials management" processes as well.

Thanks in advance for any tips, hints, techniques or ideas you can share!

Regards,
- kj

reneritchie
10-14-2005, 12:44 PM
Hey KJ,

Saddly, for some reason, I tend to just remember WCK related stuff. I don't really have a photographic memory, but my brain seems to natively store what I'm most interested in, and kind of let other stuff (like chores) slide to balance it out :)

I have in the past tried various forms of file folders (by lineage) and database stuff, but I was always either too lazy to do it properly, or when I got into some mad rush, I would toss it all out and never quite get it back into order again, so eventually I just stacked it all in my office for reference, when needed.

Now, of course, Google Desktop Search can help go through lots of digital backlogs :)

And thanks for the kind words! I'm dying to get the the book out!

KPM
10-14-2005, 01:39 PM
Looks great so far Rene! Can't wait to read it! :)

Keith

anerlich
10-14-2005, 09:59 PM
I just signed up for order notification, Rene.

Looks great. Given me a kick in the pants to get more done on my own MA/acupuncture/junk DNA/Forty Six and Two sci-fi MA epic.

Jeff Bussey
10-15-2005, 04:25 AM
Hey Rene,
Without giving anything away, cause I'll be buying a copy, is there possability of a series here or is it a one time story?

wait don't answer that

no go ahead

ya
go ahead

:D

J

reneritchie
10-17-2005, 02:15 PM
Hi Jeff,

Since WCK continues, there's certainly the possibility, however I'm bustin my @$$ trying to get this one shipped off, so I'm not gonna think that far ahead yet.

Probably.

Perhaps.

n.mitch
10-21-2005, 08:51 AM
Hi Rene where abouts can you buy the book apart from internet, will it also be in martial art shop or normal book shops as well

reneritchie
10-21-2005, 10:01 AM
I'm not sure yet, as we're in the midst of working out the details, however the major online retailers should have it available. Bookstores should be able to order it easily on demand, however Fiction is a very different game than Non-Fiction and how many will keep it in any quantity on the shelf (where Harry Potter is their bread-and-butter) I'm not sure about (might depend on initial demand they see, and it's typically a store-by-store decision for anything outside established best-selling authors--which I'm not yet ;) )