PDA

View Full Version : Chan hak Fu & Wu gong yi

Jin
02-08-2001, 07:06 PM
Any comment on the fight?...I'm depressing right now....man!...he was Wu jian quan's oldest son and look at his skill.....may be i should switch to jkd or something....I asked erle montaigue about the fight ans he replied that Chan(who was his friend) could not move his arms for weeks after the match..and to the untrained eyes.it might seem like a chidish fight.but..all i saw is exchanging in punch...and tha's all...thank you in advance...

Sam Wiley
02-08-2001, 07:37 PM
I have never seen the fight, but I have heard Erle's description of it. He said that when Wu Gung-yi could no longer penetrate to the center for a strike, he resorted to striking Chan's arms. Actually, "pounding" was the word he used. The arms are also good targets, you don't have to strike the center. He also mentioned that Chan could not move his arms for quite a while afterward. He said they were so swollen they were the size of "tree trunks."

Erle also said that it was a real fight, never said anything about any light sparring charity match. I wonder if years from now people will call that fiasco between the two Wing Chun masters a light sparring charity match. Maybe this fight between Chan and Wu started out to be that way, I don't know, but by all accounts it did not end that way.

Do you have good footage of it? I'd love to see it and make my own assessment.

"To enter is to be born, to retreat is to die."
-An Old Taijiquan Saying

GLW
02-08-2001, 09:26 PM
I have seen the film footage of it. I have also talked to two people who were there.

One attendee maintainted that it was just plain bad on both sides.

One was younger and knows little about martial arts or fighting...and maintained that it was a good example of both arts.

What struck me on looking at the footage was that Wu displayed no real technique. Yes, he did hit, but the strikes were anything but well executed. I have NEVER seen any trained fighter strike so poorly. The punches were wild, did not flow, did not seem to have a clear target.

If Chan did indeed have trouble with his arms, I would be inclined to attribute it more to luck than any plan by Wu.

I watched this with my teachers and a number of other Taijiquan people (from intermediate level to instructor level). My teacher walked away shaking his head. The other people reacted pretty much the same way.

All in all, I would say that it is an event better left out of stories because it showed and proved nothing.

The Emin Boztepe and William Cheung fracas was equally poor. Both sides exhibitted poor technique AND poor sportsmanship.

Jin
02-08-2001, 10:39 PM
http://members.tripod.com/~crane69/index6d.htm :(

Self-Thinking Follower
02-09-2001, 08:57 PM
Kazama, look for my thread with the above title in the archives. Its not enough to learn to mimic the moves, to have the function and theory demonstrated to you or to be shown all. Even if you feel the "touch" of your sifu, it does'nt mean you got it. With that said, Family or not, If you dont get the training from someone who has the skill and play hands, your better off collecting guns, cause it (gung Fu) aint gonna magically appear!....Don't discourage, they're those out there that do have the skills and can train you. The above fighters had reputations but from the film, no skill! Lets hope that after this embarrassment they took to training seriously, instead of trying to dupe others.