PDA

View Full Version : What can we learn from watching Cung Le fight?

Royal Dragon
10-13-2005, 05:12 PM
Besides that a butterfly kick may have applications after all?

gfx
10-13-2005, 06:23 PM
where can I find some of these butterfly fights?

ChinoXL
10-13-2005, 06:37 PM
i wanna learn his takedowns and scissor kick :D

ShaolinTiger00
10-13-2005, 07:55 PM
then train combat sports like MMA, wrestling & judo (kami basami)

btw: Cung does a reverse scissor takedown.

Fallout
10-13-2005, 08:06 PM
Cung Le is a joke. Those scissor takedowns are from his TKD background. He's not even a martial artist. He's a sports artist. I refuse to accept him as chinese martial arts. He has sold out to TKD and sports.

IronFist
10-13-2005, 08:22 PM
Cung Le is a joke. Those scissor takedowns are from his TKD background. He's not even a martial artist. He's a sports artist. I refuse to accept him as chinese martial arts. He has sold out to TKD and sports.

Could you beat him?

If not, then he's a better fighter than you.

And that's what martial arts are about.

Pork Chop
10-13-2005, 08:56 PM
we can learn that outrageous conditioning, coupled with sick takedown skills & defense, powerful kicks, great strength, and good speed can trump just about anything when it comes to san shou. In otherwords:

excellent skill + excellent physical conditioning + natural talent = one scarey mofo

can't wait to see him in mma.

SiuHung
10-13-2005, 09:16 PM

That's right, a real kung fu fighter would use exotic animal techniques, chi power, and all those "unique" little esoteric moves that all CMAer's know...but can't use in the ring.:rolleyes: Let's face it, in application CMA's are soooooo different from all those other MA's that there is no crossover or comparison. That's right, the scissors takedown I learned in kung fu is waaaaaaay better than the one done in TKD, Jiujitsu, Karate, and any other MA that has it. And sports...Oh no! Sport aren't real fighting! We all know from our vast daily experiences in real fighting that sporting fighters would get eaten alive in the real thing. Really, come on, all that work on conditioning, timing, strategy, toughness, spirit, technical skill, and heart have nothing to do with real martial arts.

SifuAbel
10-14-2005, 01:25 AM
excellent skill + excellent physical conditioning + natural talent = one scarey mofo

Period. NEXT!!!

please, no sport vs. real life BS discussions.

Royal Dragon
10-14-2005, 05:12 AM
I was watching the last Cung Le fight in K-1 reacently, and I have to say he was a vastly superior fighter than his opponent. One thing I noticed was his solid, but mobile footwork. He seems to know how to be in just the right place, at just the right time.

Another thing I noticed is he does not keep his hands up at all times. Instead he seems keenly aware of when he's in danger, and only puts them up at that time. The rest of the time he appears to be useing them to facilitate take downs or offences that he makes look rediculously easy.

I also noticed he seems to be able to use high kicks, under pressure, with knock down power.

bodhitree
10-14-2005, 05:14 AM
You refuse to accept him as a chinese martial artist? This is probably coming from a white guy.

Cung Le is an incredibly awesome martial artist. He fights and more often then not wins. He is inovative and unorthodox in his approach, and maybe has an eclectic background. THis makes him even better in my book.

SevenStar
10-14-2005, 09:12 AM

LOL...ROFL...LMAO...ROFLMAO...shut up.

EarthDragon
10-14-2005, 12:32 PM
I had the pleasure/ pain of sparring with Mr lee when I lived in San Fransisco above noriega street at my shrfu's school.

I tried multiple times to get one good hit in just once but was unsuccessful and felt more like his personal punching bag. but I can assure you his kicks hurt and his hands are very fast.
I have mad respect for him...

fallout your kidding right?

Fallout
10-14-2005, 06:28 PM
You guys do not understand what i'm saying. His techniques are from Taekwondo. He throws SIDE kicks, and SCISSOR takedowns. He has a TKD BLACK BELT.

Those unrealistic techniques work for only a select few people in the world. Cung Le happens to be one of them. He does not use traditional martial arts. He relies on his TKD and wrestling sports and then he wants respect? Respect for selling out to sport styles?

I'm not saying he can't fight. But he needs to stay ouf of chinese competitions and stick to TKD.

Wood Dragon
10-14-2005, 07:31 PM
And CMA has no "sidekicks" and "scissor takedowns"? Anywhere? Ever?

****, CMA is kind of......limited.

Least he doesnt use "punches", then he'd be boxing!

Royal Dragon
10-14-2005, 07:36 PM
Excuse me, but I do Tai Tzu Long Fist. it's a traditional Chinese Kung Fiu style dateing back to NINE SIXTY AD!!

There is a side kick in my first form.

May consider the Sizzor leg take down to be the application for the butterfly kick seen in gobs and gobs of Chinese forms.

AND, Cung Le's base is in some sort of Vietamise kung Fu style if I am not mistaken.

AND, AND! Just becasue he may have TKD, Muy Tai and other experiance does not negate his skills.

Many Kung Fu systems have high kicks, Cung Le has high kicks, and he uses them effectively. Instead of trashing his "Kung Funess" maybe you should be asking why it is he can use them effectively, and you can't?

SimonM
10-14-2005, 07:42 PM
Cung Le could whup me like a red-haired stepson. He has my respect and he IS CMA.

AHA! Edit is working again! 1!111!!!one

I just wanted to add that I could have sworn that wrestling was a large part of TCMA. We call it... Shuai Jiao. And I swear that I was doing it just yesterday. I ended up putting my opponent into Cross-Body position on the ground before letting him up because he was hurt. But I guess I wasn't doing Gong Fu, I was doing BJJ because BJJ has that technique too right?

lkfmdc
10-14-2005, 08:23 PM
At this time, LKFMDC would like to say

PLEASE DON'T FEED THE F-IN TROLLS!

Thank you, this has been a public service announcement from LKFMDC

SimonM
10-14-2005, 08:29 PM
Sage wisdom from LKFMDC but sometimes they are so much fun to toy with when they are new. ;)

SifuAbel
10-14-2005, 08:45 PM
You guys do not understand what i'm saying. His techniques are from Taekwondo. He throws SIDE kicks, and SCISSOR takedowns. He has a TKD BLACK BELT.

Those unrealistic techniques work for only a select few people in the world. Cung Le happens to be one of them. He does not use traditional martial arts. He relies on his TKD and wrestling sports and then he wants respect? Respect for selling out to sport styles?

I'm not saying he can't fight. But he needs to stay ouf of chinese competitions and stick to TKD.

Ok, which one of you guys let the gimp out of the box?

Remember, use the gimp, put him back in the box. I don't want to have to say it again.

greendragon
10-14-2005, 10:53 PM
Styles don't matter anymore. Learn all you can from anywhere. I am not into sports, but if I decide to use a ballet move and piruette on someone's skull it does not make me a sell out, just more creative with a diverse arsenal.
I once had a teacher that would use TKD moves to draw in the opponent and then crush them with Hsing-I. I would not criticize someone I did not know personally, perhaps he is just giving what the masses want to see. Maybe in a real fight he would act differently.

Royal Dragon
10-15-2005, 05:47 AM
perhaps he is just giving what the masses want to see. Maybe in a real fight he would act differently.

Reply]
No, I doubt that. I think he just does what works for him.

Cung Le, today, isn't CMA, or TKD, or anything really. He's become a master of his own style. He's compiled his own training methods, his own strategie, and his own methods of attack and defense, Like masters of the past, he's traveed around, and learned what he could from a number of styles, and teachers and he's created something all his own that is VERY effective for the enviroment he exists in.

What can we learn from watching him fight?

LeeCasebolt
10-15-2005, 12:38 PM
No, I doubt that. I think he just does what works for him.

Cung Le, today, isn't CMA, or TKD, or anything really. He's become a master of his own style. He's compiled his own training methods, his own strategie, and his own methods of attack and defense, Like masters of the past, he's traveed around, and learned what he could from a number of styles, and teachers and he's created something all his own that is VERY effective for the enviroment he exists in.

What can we learn from watching him fight?

I think you've captured it there - learn what you can, adapt it for your needs, and don't worry too much about where it comes from.

Royal Dragon
10-17-2005, 11:15 PM
No one has any more to offer? I was hopeing for a bit more insite to discuss.

Shaolinlueb
10-19-2005, 10:05 AM
what can you learn form cung le? he is one nasty sports fighter. but i think that was said many times over here.

PangQuan
10-19-2005, 11:33 AM
Besides that a butterfly kick may have applications after all?

Ive even used butterfly kick in sparring. the following foot generates a nice kick, only problem is to pull it off its kind hard. If your fighting/sparring someone you can dance circles around then its fun to try the funky stuff.

I think the best thing we can learn from watching Cung Le fight is control. The man has an amazing amount of control and calm over his opponents. His timing is impecable as well.

As far as techniques and methods, he has what he likes to use, and pretty much goes in there and goes impromptu. He has a medium game plan you can tell, but pretty much just responds to his opponents actions. This is just it, he has an arsenal which posesses a technique for all of the situations he has encountered in his sport fighting carreer. That is what there is to learn, be prepared, train, prepare some more , train some more and then when your done with that, train again. Then when you cant get up anymore, get up anyway and start training.