PDA

View Full Version : What do pro UFC make?

johnyk
10-16-2005, 07:24 PM
What does a MMA fighter makes? like UFC, K-1, etc.
I am just wondering if their life is a glamourous as people make it out to be.

Wood Dragon
10-16-2005, 09:54 PM
Quick addendum to that question: How do you qualify for, or enter, K1?

FatherDog
10-16-2005, 10:18 PM
Your standard "entry level" UFC fighter makes $3k to show, $3k to win. The more successful you are and the more name recognition you have, the more leverage you have when contract renegotiation time comes around - the champs and big stars make considerably more than that. Pride and K-1 pay much better than the UFC, because MMA is more popular in Japan, so they have more ticket revenue to pay them with.

WanderingMonk
10-16-2005, 10:22 PM
I read for the last Liddel title fight, he made 200 K for showing up and 200k for the win.

Mr Punch
10-17-2005, 03:03 AM
Shooto Class A: about 250000 yen to fight, about 400000 yen to win.

So about 2350 and 3700 dollars respectively. Interesting... that makes shooto higher than UFC too.

Wong Fei Hong
10-17-2005, 05:48 AM
From what ive heard also they are paid an amount to show and an amount for winning, and it varies last time i had read the purses was on a mma forum and the majority of the top ufc contenders were around 50k/50k to about 125k/125k

About the k1 i dont know i think the final world championship prize is around 1million nowadays.
I have heard thought that at the lowest levels if you are fighting in the elimination rounds for say k-1 United kingdom. The pay is around 2-3k gbp which is around 5000 dollars.
About getting in to the k-1 the rules are along the lines of you have to be a world champion in a respectable organisation , say a pro boxer or a full contact karate world champion in japan. Or a world champion full contact kickboxer.

Now i think you can also gain entrance if your country hosts k-1 elimination competition and you find who the promoter is and set up a couple of fights so he can check your talent out before hand.

Lastly you can be a freak in some way, i think that is also an asset

Wong Fei Hong
10-17-2005, 05:50 AM
From what ive heard also they are paid an amount to show and an amount for winning, and it varies last time i had read the purses was on a mma forum and the majority of the top ufc contenders were around 50k/50k to about 125k/125k

About the k1 i dont know i think the final world championship prize is around 1million nowadays.
I have heard thought that at the lowest levels if you are fighting in the elimination rounds for say k-1 United kingdom. The pay is around 2-3k gbp which is around 5000 dollars.
About getting in to the k-1 the rules are along the lines of you have to be a world champion in a respectable organisation , say a pro boxer or a full contact karate world champion in japan. Or a world champion full contact kickboxer.

Now i think you can also gain entrance if your country hosts k-1 elimination competition and you find who the promoter is and set up a couple of fights so he can check your talent out before hand.

Lastly you can be a freak in some way, i think that is also an asset :D you could be a steroid monster a super fat pig, pretend to be a sensation in your own country and i think that helps

johnyk
10-17-2005, 04:23 PM
Wow, I told my parents that one day a martial artist will make good money. :)

FatherDog
10-17-2005, 09:47 PM
Shooto Class A: about 250000 yen to fight, about 400000 yen to win.

So about 2350 and 3700 dollars respectively. Interesting... that makes shooto higher than UFC too.

I'd expect so - it's more popular in Japan, after all.

Mr Punch
10-18-2005, 02:43 AM
Than UFC in the States? Bigger sponsors?

FatherDog
10-18-2005, 08:30 AM
Than UFC in the States? Bigger sponsors?

Well, MMA in general is more popular in Japan than the states - I don't know about Shooto specifically. How long has Pride been on free tv over there, vs less than a year for the UFC over here?