PDA

View Full Version : Does it Really matter what martial art you do?

manofkent
10-17-2005, 03:32 AM
I have a therory That It doesn't really matter what martial art you do.

There are some obvious Exclusions like Boxing (being a sport)

But I believe that while diffrent styles carry diffrent methods of training and techniques, surely no 1 martial art is better in the long run.

If you take two twins, put one in a karate school and one in kung fu, both had the same physical skills, had the same amount of training with instructers of the same level of skill. I dont think you could say that one of the styles would win over the other.

Im not saying I'm right, I just think its an interesting topic.

Wong Fei Hong
10-17-2005, 05:08 AM
Unless this is super troll bait, lol -

No i dont think it really matters what you do as long as the teachers are of relatively equal competence. I think that is more important , obviously some arts take longer to develop and get good at than others.
But having a good teacher is the most important thing as well as method of training.

manofkent
10-17-2005, 06:09 AM
Your not supposed to just answer the question right off!!!

Any way the reason I wanted to bring up the subject is because my karate Sensei is very interested in kung fu and tai chi, and has spent many years training in diffrent Chinese systems. I found it easyer to learn kung fu, from someone who's 1st art was karate, even tho I feel that kung fu is a superior art.

SPJ
10-17-2005, 07:51 AM
everything takes time.

one posture or one horse stance at a time.

true, all paths may lead to personal development both physically and mentally.

Karate is from Okinawa and used to be called China hand.

Some said it was from 5 ancestor fist or Wu Zhu Quan from Fu Jian Shaolin temple.

Karate is Kung Fu.

Tai Chi is Kung Fu and more.

:)

Mel
10-17-2005, 08:41 AM
Manofkent, I'm a bit confused because in your first post you said:

"....surely no 1 martial art is better in the long run."

But in your second post you said:

"....I feel that kung fu is a superior art."

Which is it?

ShaolinTiger00
10-17-2005, 08:51 AM
http://www.realfighting.com/0702/danaherframe.html

lkfmdc
10-17-2005, 12:23 PM
Above list by you know who is ok, but fails to mention the most important point

it is HOW you train

if you train all the above in a dead manner, against a guy just standing there, it does't matter

got to train against a resisting opponent and got to test your skills, otherwise, the issue is moot :cool:

SifuAbel
10-17-2005, 12:31 PM

Nutriding at its best/worst.

SifuAbel
10-17-2005, 12:32 PM
Above list by you know who is ok, but fails to mention the most important point

it is HOW you train

if you train all the above in a dead manner, against a guy just standing there, it does't matter

got to train against a resisting opponent and got to test your skills, otherwise, the issue is moot :cool:

Yes, this is beyond style.

lkfmdc
10-17-2005, 12:44 PM
I thought this is just common sense and no need to mention it and I assume everybody on this forum had already known this by heart. Should I assume that?

never assume or you.... figure it out from the break up :p

ShaolinTiger00
10-17-2005, 12:56 PM
Nutriding at its best/worst.

ayyyyeee pobracito! did I hurt your feelings? You know it's the truth in your heart but you've wasted so much time with crap that you can't accept it.

I still love you compay!

lkfmdc
10-17-2005, 01:05 PM
you two need to get a room or something....

SifuAbel
10-17-2005, 01:06 PM
Yes, he does need a room. A hospital room. :rolleyes:

SifuAbel
10-17-2005, 01:09 PM
[A]yyyy[...] pobr[e]cito! [D]id I hurt you['re] feelings? You know it's the truth in your heart[,] but you've wasted so much time with crap that you can't accept it.

I still love you compay!

Actually, YOU didn't do anything, you just posted a link.

A link, that starts out with a trueism about the need for live training that follows into self serving TMA vs. MMA style bashing. Its so 2000.

"Crap"....LOL......... Here..............have an exlax....................you seem to be full of **** again.

SifuAbel
10-17-2005, 01:12 PM
never assume or you.... figure it out from the break up :p

A Benny hill fan........... :D

SifuAbel
10-17-2005, 01:23 PM
Doesn't matter what style do you do. You will need the following:

- Kick, punch, lock, and throw ability.
- Entering strategy
- Finish strategy
- Footwork
- Speed training
- Power training
- Counter ability
- Combo ability
- Ground fight ability
- Weapon fight ability
- Handle multiple opponents ability

So which style will have all the above that you need?

To go with what Ross commented, "Which style?" has to be followed inevitably by "Which school?".

SifuAbel
10-17-2005, 01:28 PM
So "which school?" is a better question.

brothernumber9
10-17-2005, 01:35 PM
Does it really matter which martial art?

Take a set of twins

put twin "A" in a school that trains and participates competetively in Full contact.

put twin "B" in a KF school that trains meditation, chi cultivation, no touch knockouts, and chi blasts and participates and competes in point competition.

A fights B. so does it matter?

SifuAbel
10-17-2005, 01:45 PM
So AGAIN, "Which SCHOOL?" is the better question.

Twin "A" could also be in a KF school doing the above.

SevenStar
10-17-2005, 02:02 PM
There are some obvious Exclusions like Boxing (being a sport)

I'm trying really hard to not respond to that...

SifuAbel
10-17-2005, 02:04 PM
I know, posts like that only add to the quagmire.

IronFist
10-17-2005, 03:53 PM
No, it doesn't make a difference. Coincidentally, however, all the people who are good fighters have chosen to study Muay Thai and BJJ and that's why they always win. :D

SPJ
10-17-2005, 04:14 PM
What is your focus?

If you focus on ground game, you would use other moves as tactics to get the opponent on the ground ASAP and do your over 100 techniques stuff on the ground.

If you focus on strikes, you just punch and kick away.

If you focus on throwing, then use other moves as entry and do your 1000 ways of throwing.

How do you end the fight?

Do you need to learn every single style on the planet to be a all around fighter?

probably not.

You build a fast and light fighter jet.

You also build a stealth and heavy but slower bombers.

Do you train yourself to be several ways?

probably not.

based on your physique, you train your best quality and cover your weakness.

---

styles are only relative to your focus or YOU.

:D

jungle-mania
10-17-2005, 08:08 PM
Actually your style really does not matter at all, its your exposure to an environment. You can learn all the art in the world, but you still won't do well in MMA. Why? Because you never fought under such rules, unless of course your art so happen to have the same rules.

Take it to the next level of streetfighting, things began to change even more. I never had a single streetfight, only a couple of random challenge matches whom I kick the crap out of their 'my art is better than your art' arse.

And I only won them because I played even less rules than these guys. I had my arse whopped regularly by MMA guys (I am from sanshou) when I play their rules, but I get better at it. So art is really a mental block to me, just learn to duke it out under different rules all the time, puts your art to the test and you can see alot of limitations.

Even if you are a MMA guy, try playing semi-contact with a sports karateka, you will be surprised to learn a few things, hopefully nothing bad.

Royal Dragon
10-17-2005, 10:46 PM
The art does not matter, the style does not matter. What really matteres is that it fits YOU!, and you make it yours.

manofkent
10-18-2005, 02:10 AM
OK then, Does any think that a TKD Guy could win against a Karate guy, if they both had the same training, Very simular martial arts but TKD is a sport and so they dont use any deadly strikes, where the Karate guy would be looking at hitting vital points

SifuAbel
10-18-2005, 02:23 AM
Grow up................

n.mitch
10-18-2005, 02:29 AM
I dont think it matters which style it depends on the person. Different styles suit different people. If you train hard in your chosen system you should be able to handle yourself.
When you have twins you can give us a correct answer till then we will never really know

MasterKiller
10-18-2005, 06:18 AM
OK then, Does any think that a TKD Guy could win against a Karate guy, if they both had the same training, Very simular martial arts but TKD is a sport and so they dont use any deadly strikes, where the Karate guy would be looking at hitting vital points

Lots of guys with TKD experience fighting in the UFC right now. You think all those spinning kicks come from Muay Thai?**

**SevenStar will say the real Muay Thai has those techniques, but they aren't used in the ring.

SimonM
10-18-2005, 07:03 AM

:rolleyes:

SifuAbel
10-18-2005, 10:09 AM
Ride 'n, Ride 'n, Ride 'n,

Oh them nuts are Ride 'n,

Ride 'n, Ride 'n, Ride 'n,

RAWHIDE!!!

(some of you are too young to remember that show.)

bodhitree
10-18-2005, 10:48 AM
You guys just don't know how superior judo katana is;)

SevenStar
10-18-2005, 12:41 PM
Lots of guys with TKD experience fighting in the UFC right now. You think all those spinning kicks come from Muay Thai?**

**SevenStar will say the real Muay Thai has those techniques, but they aren't used in the ring.

actually, that's not what I'd say. I'd say that the back kick is like the third most common kick you see in muay thai. it's quite prevalent. Spinning.... maybe not as prevalent, but definitely there.

SevenStar
10-18-2005, 12:48 PM

ROFLMAO!!!!!

Oh man... I needed that today...

lkfmdc
10-18-2005, 01:14 PM
actually, that's not what I'd say. I'd say that the back kick is like the third most common kick you see in muay thai. it's quite prevalent. Spinning.... maybe not as prevalent, but definitely there.

Well, maybe, but only if you accept the order like this

1. round kick
2. front kick
3. back kick

but after "1" you got
1a low round kick
1b front leg round kick
1c bent leg round kick
1d bent leg front leg round kick
1e neck round kick
1f inside round kick
until
1z final variation of round kick humanly possible...

FuXnDajenariht
10-18-2005, 03:20 PM
yea dude. you gotta fight to learn how to fight. you know like every other skill in life you hafta practice the skill to do it well.

its like trying to learn how to cook by watching the cooking channel and then wondering why everyone gets the ****s everytime they eat at your place, or learning how to fix your car by watchin pimp my ride and wondering why u almost dropped the engine on yourself.

it isn't quite the same if you dont experience things urself. alot of martial artists still can't figure that out tho.... if they did we wouldn't be having so many style debates i dont think. everyones a kickboxer in the end ;)

zuiquan1
10-18-2005, 06:23 PM
put twin "B" in a KF school that trains meditation, chi cultivation, no touch knockouts, and chi blasts and participates and competes in point competition.

your kidding right
this post shows everybody your obvious misconceptions about Chinese martial arts, what you think we all can fly too right
why dont you do some actual research

SifuAbel
10-18-2005, 08:38 PM
ZQ,

He was talking about the stereotype mckwoon. He didn't mean all kung fu schools in general. I hope.

IronFist
10-18-2005, 09:06 PM
If a guy who fights with Muay Thai techniques 99% of the time lands a technique from TKD or something, that doesn't mean he's a TKDist and it doesn't mean TKD is the ultimate art.

If he does it successfully REPEATEDLY, then you can say that that is a good technique he took from TKD.

If he wins repeatedly PRIMARILY with TKD techniques, then you can say TKD is effective.

SPJ
10-22-2005, 06:38 PM
Oh. Irony.

SimonM
10-23-2005, 07:41 PM
YKW what you wear has no bearing on what you can do.

You often focus too much on style and not enough on substance.

Pork Chop
10-23-2005, 07:53 PM
spinning techniques pay extra in thailand, so you bet your hiney they're in there.

phantom
10-26-2005, 04:00 PM
Style, the method of training, and your natural ability all matter. Boxing makes you proficient at punching probably faster than any other art, and they spar full contact, which is closer to a real fight. However, if you are looking for kicking or grappling, you need to look elsewhere. Tae kwon do has the largest variety of kicks in probably all of the martial arts, but if you want to spend more time on punching or grappling, you have to look elsewhrere. Many people study tai chi just for its health benfits. While tae kwon do is more limited than most other arts, there are some tough tae kwon do fighters out there. I have heard that some tae kwon do people have soundly defeated muay thai and kyokushinkai fighters, and iI don't doubt it.
I think the Filipino and Indonesian arts are the best for learning knife and stick defenses, although some people claim that Kalaripayattu are just as good. Many karate schools have you stop sparring after you or your opponent gets one good hit in, then have you move away from each other and start sparring again. That is definitely not a good habit to get into if you are serious about learning self-defense. BJj is an awesome ground grappling art, but is also lacking in other areas.