PDA

View Full Version : Old School Hooker

Radhnoti
10-17-2005, 06:29 PM
Went to a great "private lesson" today, myself and a good friend made a one and a half hour or so trip to Knoxville to visit Mark Hatmaker. He's a MMA type who made his "focus"...and really his whole program meshes together very nicely...the Western arts of boxing and "old school" wrestling. My title for this thread comes from a comment he made about we two moving well toward being "old school hookers", or wrestlers. Drew you right in didn't it? :p
We were there from 8:15 AM or so until 1 PM, and I really picked up a lot. I have a LITTLE bit of ground experience from years ago, my friend had zero. In an hours time he was easily my equal on the ground (I used to just beat him like a drum), the rest of the day was just an exponential increase in knowledge.

We started out with around an hour and a half of boxing...it was demanding and tiring, but basically quite similar to the information he had in his book, "Savage Strikes". I was glad to get his feedback on how we were doing. For example,I wasn't bringing back my guard far enough after the second part of a jab, cross, lead hook, rear uppercut combo. A few rounds with the focus mits and one solid "correction" across the cheek drove that particular lesson home very well...thanks Mark. :D Numerous other corrections (placement of elbows/forearms, when to "juke and jive", etc.) made me glad we asked for the assessment, I feel a lot more solid with "boxing style" punching and combos now. He was very technical, but kept it interesting.

The next three and a half hours was...really a lot of fun. We hit the groundwork portion of his curriculum. He said this was really more complex (actually I believe his term was "scientific" than most things we'd been exposed to) and that did seem to be the case. He sat us down before EVERY drill and explained the unlying principles behind whatever we were doing, which was just fantastic. He gave us a real understanding of WHY we were doing what we were doing before we got started, then he worked with us and observed every motion, making sure we had it. Soon after he would set us up with different mostly freeform drills that would start at point A and end at B, encouraging us to take the principles he'd shown us and get creative. The depth of his knowledge and research was obvious, and I think he showed himself to be a dedicated scholar and fighter in his chosen field.
Needless to say, I hope to find the time and funds to train with him again. Meanwhile, I'm probably going to order another book or two from Paladin Press via Amazon. I'd encourage anyone interested to check out his stuff, or if you happen to live close by set up a class. For me, it was well worth the time, energy and funds.

Judge Pen
10-24-2005, 12:24 PM
Rad,

Next time you come down to K-town, let me know. I'd like to attend a lesson with you.

Radhnoti
10-25-2005, 10:47 AM
Hey JP.

Yeah, that'd be great amigo! Bryan and I went down last time, and he's excited about going down again after we absorb a bit of what we got.
I'll let you know when we plan the next trip...we had to give him around two month's notice last time to mesh our three schedules together. :eek:

I'll be in touch.

Shaolinlueb
10-28-2005, 06:21 AM
so how is there a hooker involved? what did she come in when you were training and look for a good time then?

Radhnoti
10-30-2005, 06:18 PM
Oh, we trained in a local school gymnasium. During one of the breaks the 55 year old lunch-lady came up and asked us if we were having a good time...after hearing our exhausted "no" she asked if we wanted to.
Old school hooker.

:eek:

Actually, somewhere in my blathering above I wrote:

"My title for this thread comes from a comment he made about we two moving well toward being "old school hookers", or wrestlers."

"Hooker" actually made sense after some of the ways he showed us to break our opponents base. Lots of punching's hook motions to pull or slap a limb the way you want it to go. I was surprised how often he suggested "attacking" the legs...not something I was used to doing.

Judge Pen
10-31-2005, 06:06 AM
I was surprised how often he suggested "attacking" the legs...not something I was used to doing.

When I worked with some jiujitsu people a few years ago, they showed me a couple of techniques that reminded me of that. I'm curious to see how similar or different his techniques are from what little I've been shown.

Radhnoti
02-21-2006, 07:42 PM
We've invited Mr. Hatmaker up to our part of KY to teach a two day seminar on March 18th and 19th. I'm looking forward to it, and I'll post a summary when it's all said and done.

Judge Pen
02-22-2006, 01:39 PM
My sister is due about that time so I'm weighing my options about coming up there.

Radhnoti
02-22-2006, 08:09 PM
Wow, uncle JP! Congrats amigo.

Radhnoti
02-23-2006, 04:47 PM
JP, your PM inbox is full. Let me know when you get it clear, ok?

Judge Pen
02-24-2006, 06:14 AM
Its clear now.