PDA

View Full Version : Important Announcement from CCK TCPM - Open Letter to Mr. Lam Wing Kit ...

mantis108
10-18-2005, 10:50 AM
I was contacted by Galen who was informed by the Chuk-Kai Tai Chi Mantis Mantis Chinese Boxing Gymnasium Alumni Association (Alumni Association) that they have issued an open letter to Mr. Lam Wing Kit and Ms. Ying Fun Fong about a recent publication of a book which mislead and incorrectly identified as Chiu Chuk Kai Tai Chi Praying Mantis (CCK TCPM). Mr. Lam Wing Kit is or at no time was a student of the late Grandmaster Chiu Chuk Kai. No student of the late Grandmaster Chiu has officially taught or practiced with Mr. Lam or Ms. Ying. The information contained in the recent publication by Mr. Lam and Ms. YingDOES NOT correctly represent CCK TCPM. The Alumni Association is considering legal action. Here is an open letter which was posted by another CCK TCPM student in HK on behalf of the Alumni Association, and Grandmaster Chiu's Son Chiu Han Luen:

公開聲明
聲明團體: 竹溪太極螳螂同學會(以下簡稱本會)
群威太極螳螂國術健身院

竹溪太極螳螂同學會及群威太極螳螂國術健身院就林永傑先生及應芬芳女士出版”
太極螳螂拳譜上下卷之事,發出以下公開聲明:

最近在市面上出現一本由應傑出版社有限公司出版,由林永傑先生及應芬芳女士合編”
太極螳螂拳譜上下卷(以下簡稱為該書),感到十分驚訝及憤怒,林先生和應女士並非
太極螳螂門弟子,以一個門外漢編寫竹溪太極螳螂門(以下簡稱本門)拳術,內容錯漏
百出,嚴重歪曲本門武學,有誤導讀者及武術愛好者,而林先生和應女士的目的是別有
用心.

(1) 林永傑先生及應芬芳女士並非趙竹溪宗師門下弟子或再傳弟子,所以並沒有任何
資格代表本門著書立說.
(據本會及群威太極螳螂國術健身院記錄,並沒有林永傑先生及應芬芳女士任何資料
,所以証明林先生及應女士並非本門傳人.)

(2) 該書提及本門又名太極梅花螳螂,完全是誤導讀者及武術愛好者
(本門自趙竹溪宗師由山東煙台南傳,輾轉執教於澳門,越南及香港凡六十年,一直號
稱”太極螳螂”本門稱號由師祖孫元昌正式定名,一脈相承之今.而趙師自少於智藏
寺隨清泉大師及覺東大師習”少林太祖門”其後再遇張萬秋道長傳太極摩雲掌,趙師
以轉益多師精神,博采眾長,自成一格,為發揚”太極螳螂門”作出畢生貢獻由於門下
弟子眾多,傳人遍及世界各地,故亦稱為”竹溪太極螳螂門”以茲識別.

(3) 該書的拳譜是由林永傑先生及應芬芳女士自我創作,並非本門拳譜
(林先生及應女士是抄襲北螳螂黃漢勛編制拳譜的方法來創作,套用成本門的拳譜.除
拳譜外馬步名稱也錯漏百出,用的都是北螳螂名稱)

(4) 該書示範者也並非本門弟子,從招式形態,身法,手法皆與本門有所出入,而且相
差甚距,而拆門解義也是林先生及應女士自行虛構創作,與本門留傳拆解方法完全兩
個版本.
(在示範者動作上可以看到是模仿本門動作,但身法,招式形態,手法,一些細緻動作是
欠缺的,而風格上基本上不是本門演繹的風格)

鑒於林永傑先生及應芬芳女士合編”太極螳螂拳譜上下卷, 內容錯漏百出,嚴重歪曲
本門武學,有損本門聲譽之行為,本會及群威太極螳螂國術健身院保留一切追究責任
及權利,所有海內外竹溪太極螳螂門人,一同聲討,義不容辭,堅決維護本門聲譽.
特此聲明 ,並敬告武林各界,以正視聽

竹溪太極螳螂同學會
主席 : 黃亮群
趙竹溪宗師哲嗣 趙漢麟

Due to the pending legal action, I will not translate the letter in English. Instead, I will layout some key points in another post. Thank you for your kind attention and your understanding of this grave matter.

Sincerely,

Robert Hui (Mantis108)

PS sorry about the smilie. I think I clicked the wrong one.

mantis108
10-18-2005, 11:36 AM
These are just key points.

1) Mr. Lam and Ms. Ying are not students or grandstudents of the late GM Chiu. They are not qualified to respresent CCK TCPM. There is no exsiting record of any affiliation of them with the Alumni Association or Kwong Kwan Wei Tai Chi Praying Mantis association.

2) The book Tai Chi Praying Mantis Boxing Manuscripts vol. 1 and vol. 2 (rough translation of the book title only not official) erroneously mention that CCK TCPM also known as Taiji Meihwa Tanglang. This is misleading the general piublic. The unique experience that the late GM Chiu had is largely reflected in the style and material of CCK TCPM and this can not be confused.

3) The so called Boxing Manuscripts in the book is a fabrication of Mr. Lam and Ms. Ying. It used the naming method of Wong Han Fun of Northern Praying Mantis. It is not the CCK TCPM convention to use such naming method. The naming of the stances, etc... in the book does not correctly represent the movements or postures of our style.

4) The person who demonstrated the postures is not affiliated with CCK TCPM; therefore, the flavour and style of this so call manuscripts are totally different from our style. The applications illustrated are also not from the teachings of the late GM Chiu. They would be the fabrications of the Mr. Lam and Ms. Ying.

5) The Alumni Association is shocked and angered by this publication which totally distorted the style and late GM Chiu's teaching that it is considering legal action against Mr. Lam and Ms. Ying.

Mantis108

Ou Ji
10-18-2005, 12:46 PM
Ok, so it's official. There's nowhere to go in CMA to avoid politics and BS.

Sigh *brushes the dust off and rolls out yoga mat*

-N-
10-18-2005, 01:19 PM

Sigh *brushes the dust off and rolls out yoga mat*
That's why sometimes it's better just to go to your backyard and practice by yourself. Oh wait, you kicked yourself out of your own system.... nevermind.

N.

p.s. So was your yoga master like some famous Indian dude or something? :)

-N-
10-18-2005, 01:27 PM
Well, at least Mantis politics could KTFO Wing Chun politics.... maybe.

N.

Ou Ji
10-18-2005, 01:37 PM
p.s. So was your yoga master like some famous Indian dude or something? :)

My yoga master has the REAL yoga. I'd show you but I'm not allowed. :p

mantis108
10-18-2005, 01:40 PM
I am merely doing a service and duty to my fellow CCK TCPM community and may be to those who are interested to seek proper instructions from those who have actually studied and practiced the style. This coming from my mentor who brought me into the style and those people that I have trained and met during my training in the HK Kwoon, I have no reason to refuse their request.

Personally, I rather be left alone on this since I know Mr. Lam personally. I know where, when, what, and who Mr. Lam might have possibly got the information from. In fact, when Galen called me he said "Your buddy Lam Wing Kit... " which I also clarified with hm. BTW, Galen had met him also. But they don't see eye to eye on things. According to Galen, the book is not the only one thing that Lam has capitalized from CCK TCPM.

I have foreseen the situation that someone who has no official affiliation will eventually profit from the style and I have voiced my concerns to our people in HK. There are a whole host of things that could have been done to prevent things like this. But no one paid much attention to me. Anyway, I feel sorry that it has come to this point.

The situation would have been totally different if Lam has gone through the proper channels and observes the protocols that tradition requires IMHO.

All I can say is the "Ren Zai Jiang Hu" (men in rivers and lakes). BTW, watch the movie "Mission" by Johnny Tu. You might understand somewhat where I am at (not that I am a gang member or such things just similar in senario).

Regards

Mantis108

Ou Ji
10-18-2005, 01:52 PM
I don't mean to make lite of a serious situation but CMA in general is getting pretty da mn ridiculous these days. Too many:

secrets
flakes
frauds
egos
prestige
love of money

and not enough:

openness
sharing
helping
giving
honesty

The first list seems to be human nature while the second list are virtues most of us strive for, especially the MA peeps. So what happened to CMA along the way?

mantis108
10-18-2005, 01:58 PM
If anyone feels like collecting misinformation, then by all means. It's a free world after all. I wish that the HK group had printed a book or two for comparsion if you ask me.

I personally think that it is important to issue a caveat emptor in this case. When I teach, I will always emphasize on what is from GM Chiu and what is from others whom I have learned from (ie Galen, Roger, Kevin, etc..) and what is personal experiences and preferences. I have taught a few professionals (soldiers, police, corrections, bouncers, etc). Most of them prefers GM Chiu's stuff. So...

Mantis108

-N-
10-18-2005, 02:04 PM
Hi Robert,

No offense from any of my wisecracks I hope.

It is unfortunate that these kinds of things happen. Only those directly involved know the real story. Everybody else has just impressions.

I'm sorry that you got dragged into this kind of stuff.

best wishes,
N.

mantis108
10-18-2005, 02:19 PM
Thanks for the best wishes. I totally understand the humor and you meant no ill intention.

For better or for worst, we are part of our Kung Fu family and sometimes we just have to be supportive as sons. I am sure most of you would understand. :)

Warm regards

Robert

-N-
10-18-2005, 02:40 PM
I don't mean to make lite of a serious situation but CMA in general is getting pretty da mn ridiculous these days. Too many:

secrets
flakes
frauds
egos
prestige
love of money

and not enough:

openness
sharing
helping
giving
honesty

The first list seems to be human nature while the second list are virtues most of us strive for, especially the MA peeps. So what happened to CMA along the way?What happens is that when people do these:

openness
sharing
helping
giving
honesty

A whole bunch of other people take advantage and do these:

secrets
flakes
frauds
egos
prestige
love of money

N.

-N-
10-18-2005, 02:57 PM
he said "Your buddy Lam Wing Kit... " which I also clarified with him.Haha, some of us have been there before.

BTW, watch the movie "Mission" by Johnny Tu. You might understand somewhat where I am atThe IMDB is your friend :)

Ok, Robert == Curtis

That sucks.

N.

-N-
10-18-2005, 03:26 PM
Btw, in light of several recent post topics, I think it would be very nice if we all declared the month of October to be International Kung Fu Politics Month. Any topics relating to issues of legitimacy etc will be posted in October, and only in October. That will leave us with the other 11 months of the year for technical discussions. That is, of course, if your lineage approves.

But first we need to create an organization...

N.

K.Brazier
10-18-2005, 04:09 PM
Hi Robert,
Sorry to hear about the new history.

Why don't you write the book?
You have all the qualifications and skill.

Just think...if you took half your writing time and devoted it to a book you could finish in no time.
Of course I'll help anyway possible.

Kevin

mantis108
10-18-2005, 04:09 PM
Well, "traditionally" October is a month of revolution.... ;) So, I think it's pretty much sticking with tradition. lol

BTW, life does suck a lot especially being a Chinese and all. lol... But Robert Curtis does sounds pretty cool. Now, I have to go look for a dark suit and a cool shade. :cool:

Warm regards

Robert

-N-
10-18-2005, 04:34 PM
My yoga master has the REAL yoga. I'd show you but I'm not allowed. :pThat's ok, I achieved enlightenment just the other day...

*flashback with wavy lines*

I was so frustrated at not being able to sit cross legged, that I went into the forest to sulk. I found a peaceful spot, and practiced sitting like a normal person for a while.

Suddenly a faint rustling sound caught my attention. I turned towards the source of the noise and saw a pile of empty beer cans and some junk food wrappers. I looked more closely and found that although it was very windy, one of the wrappers remained steadily in place.

Intrigued, I picked up a stick and poked at the trash. It was then that I uncovered the mystery of the unwavering cellophane. Inside that bag, that discarded wrapper, I found... one remaining uneaten pretzel.

Quickly, I snatched the pretzel from amidst the crumbs and salt crystals. I stared at it in awe. I knew that somehow it was my destiny to meet this pretzel. I knew that I was special, and that gave me a warm fuzzy feeling inside.

All the other pretzels I'd seen before had been straight little sticks, and they came from cans. This pretzel was different, it was twisted and bent with flowing curves, and it came from INSIDE A BAG!

I studied the pretzel for many hours. I counted 7 hugeass salt crytals on it, shaped in the pattern of the Big Dipper. As I analyzed the intricate bends and twists of this pretzel, all the secrets of the universe became revealed to me. I finally realized how simple it could be to sit cross legged. I just had to become like the pretzel.

And then I ate it.

N.

btw, if you combine pretzels with 17 other junk food items, it becames a really awesome party snack for you and all your friends.

Three Harmonies
10-18-2005, 04:42 PM
So I am a bit confused....................
Are these books actually WHF Mantis, with CCK Taiji Mantis nomenclature? Are these CCK forms that have been "borrowed" in one fashion or another? Any links to these books?

Thanks
Jake :)

Michael Dasargo
10-18-2005, 04:47 PM
>>I am merely doing a service and duty to my fellow CCK TCPM community

Hey Robert,

I beleive you are doing the right thing. Personally, I was confused as I read Lam Wing Kits book, as I observed notable differences from the CCK TCPM that I have been exposed to. For someone as ignorant to the art as I, I felt lost in a world of misunderstanding. Your post helps to dissipate some of the fog.

I personally don't consider notes of this nature to be "political". Rather, I perceive it as factual as long as the material presented is in truth. I don't necessarily see it as discrediting another organization, but simply clarifying what is represented...and if I understand you correctly, the material presented in the book is not an accurate representation of CCK TCPM. It is what it is.

But since -N- declared October to be International Kung Fu Politics Month, I would like to attack Ou Ji.

On behalf of Jim Carey, we are now taking legal action towards the misrepresentations of Infinite Monkey Style. The true and accurate depictions may be found in the well known documentary entitled, "Dumb and Dumber". Please make note of the proper use of "Monkey Reaches the Heavens" in "Swaying Horse Stance".

M.

mantis108
10-18-2005, 04:52 PM
Thanks for the support and the suggestion. I know I can count on you always. :)

I do have a project or two in mind but I think it needs a bit more time to develop. Anyway, I am in no rush. When the time comes, I definitely will appreciate all the help from you.

BTW, how is your book project coming along? I know that you will be pretty busy since this is getting close to the big move back to the States. Have you decided on where you will be teaching yet?

Warmest regards

Robert

Michael Dasargo
10-18-2005, 05:02 PM

secrets
flakes
frauds
egos
prestige
love of money

and not enough:

openness
sharing
helping
giving
honesty

What's funny is that I was just thinking the same thing about strangers who want to join my school. And this may all be due to culture shock. Most "shoppers" who aren't familiar with traditional Guoshu customs tend to treat a "Shifu" like a prostitute of Martial Arts. "I pay you this so you teach me that!" Well, it's not quite that simple. Most capitalist societies are educated to get the most out of their hard earned money. But regardless of the service, CULTURE CAN NOT BE COMMODIFIED.

"Easier to move a mountain than to change a man".

I believe many authentic Shifu had to adapt to survive in capitalist society, and thus began the screening of students based on their "manners" or lack thereof. Thus, the consequence of learning what you want, versus what you need.

I believe that the energy you put into a traditional teacher, the more will be returned to you. Many authentic teachers get "raped" for their knowledge and experience by students who use the teacher to get what they want, and ultimately abandons them.

If you treat your teacher like a prostitute, then you'll get over charged...and screwed-over (no pun intended).

Dos Centavos,
M.

Ou Ji
10-18-2005, 05:27 PM
*** WARNING - IMMENENT THREAD DERAILMENT *** WARNING - IMMENENT THREAD

On behalf of Jim Carey, we are now taking legal action towards the misrepresentations of Infinite Monkey Style. The true and accurate depictions may be found in the well known documentary entitled, "Dumb and Dumber". Please make note of the proper use of "Monkey Reaches the Heavens" in "Swaying Horse Stance".

Gou Lou Cai to your legal action. Infinite Monkey Boxing is NOT simian based therefore cannot be equated to any other monkey based systems or techniques.

Judge Pen help me out. There's a parchment with cool chinese writing on it for you as a retainer in this legal action.

Ou Ji
10-18-2005, 05:41 PM
Many authentic teachers get "raped" for their knowledge and experience by students who use the teacher to get what they want, and ultimately abandons them.

I've seen that more than once and what bothers me is that the result is the witholding of information to those that come along after the fact. I don't agree with the 'smash and grab' mentality of training but if someone agrees to teach and does so then there's no turning back if the student decides not to stay.

Look at the current 8 Step discussion where Master Shyun will never teach all ten set to any one person again. Why? Got me.

Guess I'm just simple. If the system has ten sets and I'm willing and able to learn all ten then why not teach me?

Once you teach something does it not belong to the student after learning it?

Why aren't college students considered 'raping' their teachers knowledge and experience for personal gain? I mean they do learn all they can then run off and get paid for the knowledge they now possess.

MantisCool
10-18-2005, 10:10 PM
We understand that Lam Wing Kit does not learn from a proper sifu in both 7* mantis or other branches of mantis but that does not keep him from publishing books on that subjects.

I dont think he can make a lot of money out of writing the books. It is just a matter of passion and prestige. I think he didnt mentioned that he is a student of the mantis school either, he just say these books are all about the 7* or CCK TJPM etc. If you look at the 7* mantis books he published, it is all his own flavour and are not exactly from the WHF or CCM lineages. All he do is using the WHF's style of naming all the stroke name.

The problem is that some people cannot write books and wanted to keep away others from doing so. Even if they can write books they are still not the sole representative of that school because no one is exactly the same. If we are 100% same as our sifu than we can say our writing is representing his style but than other students who are not would still say we are wrong and they are right!

Regards
khoo

Indestructible
10-18-2005, 11:40 PM
Hmmm... Babel Fish says:

Male □□Ming?ming □□: 竹溪 too □praying mantis with □□(below □□this □) group prestige too □praying mantis □□healthy body courtyard 竹溪 too □the praying mantis forever □gentleman and □fragrant woman will publish "too □the praying mantis fist □on 下卷 matter with □□and the group prestige too □praying mantis □□healthy body courtyard on the forest, □below male □□bright: Recently □was published in the market condition by □□the publishing house limited company, forever □gentleman and □fragrant woman will gather □"too □the praying mantis fist by the forest □on 下卷 (below □□□□□), felt extremely □□and □the anger, Mr. Lin and □woman □too □the praying mantis □disciple, by a □□outside □□□竹溪 too □praying mantis □(below □□this □) the fist □, □Rong?lou was must full of, □heavy crooked song book □military □, had □□□and Wu?? good, But Mr. Lin and □woman's goal is □has attentively (1) forest forever □gentleman and □under fragrant Ms. □non- □竹溪 Zong?? disciple or again □disciple, therefore □□has any □standard to represent this □□is standing □ (□this □and group prestige too □praying mantis □□healthy body courtyard □□, □□will have forest forever □gentleman and □fragrant woman any □material, therefore □Mr. Ming Lin and □woman □non- this □□person.) (2) □□mentions this □other name too □plum blossom praying mantis, completely is □□□and Wu?? good (this □from □竹溪 Zong?you shan?? the Tainan □, □□□teaches Yu Ao?, Vietnamese and the Hong Kong every 60 years, continuously □□"too □the praying mantis" this □□□prosperous officially chooses a name by □the ancestor □Yuan, one □succeeds one another now But □□from are few big □and □□big □□"the few forests too ancestor □" the hereafter meets □□fall to wisdom Tibet temple □清泉 □□too □to touch □the palm again, □□to □benefits many □spirits, abundantly picks □□, from becomes a standard, □□□"too □the praying mantis □" makes □lives □□because □under the disciple □are many, □the person spreads world each place, therefore also □□"竹溪 too □praying mantis □" by □□□ (3) □□the fist □will be forever □gentleman and □fragrant woman self- □does by the forest, □the non- this □fist □(Mr. Lin and □woman will be copies □north the praying mantis □□□□system fist □method □□to do, applies mechanically the cost □fist □ Besides a fist □□step of name □also □leaks full of, with all is north praying mantis □) (4) □□shows □also □the non- this □disciple, □the style shape □, the body law, the technique all □this □has the discrepancy, moreover differs really is apart from, but opens □Xie?ye is Mr. Lin and □woman voluntarily □□□does, □this □remains □opens the solution method completely □□edition (In shows □□does may see is mold copybook □□does, but body law, style shape □, technique, some □□□does is short of, but □in standard basically is not this □develops □□standard) □Mr. Yu Linyong □and □fragrant woman will gather □"too □the praying mantis fist □on 下卷, □Rong?lou is full of, □heavy crooked song book □military □, will have □this □□□line □, this □and the group prestige too □praying mantis □□healthy body courtyard will retain all to investigate □no matter what and □the advantage, all seas □outside 竹溪 too □praying mantis □person, □□, □will not accommodate together □, □□□□this □□□ □is specially bright, □informs martial arts world from all walks of life, by □□ 竹溪 too □praying mantis with □□president: □bright group □竹溪 ancestor □your heir □□large male deer

-N-
10-18-2005, 11:59 PM
Hmmm... Babel Fish says:

Male □□Ming?ming □□: 竹溪 too □praying mantis with □□(below □□this □) [...]Reminds me of some of the translations I've seen of Mantis terms :)

N.

TaichiMantis
10-19-2005, 06:17 AM
Thanks for the support and the suggestion. I know I can count on you always. :)

I do have a project or two in mind but I think it needs a bit more time to develop. Anyway, I am in no rush. When the time comes, I definitely will appreciate all the help from you.

BTW, how is your book project coming along? I know that you will be pretty busy since this is getting close to the big move back to the States. Have you decided on where you will be teaching yet?

Warmest regards

Robert

My sifu warned me about this. He said there was stuff out there that wasn't really CCK TCPM. The only "real" book out there is the the one on wooden dummy training. I am assuming if Robert did a book on our style he would have to get "official" permission...right?

BeiTangLang
10-19-2005, 07:16 AM
Btw, in light of several recent post topics, I think it would be very nice if we all declared the month of October to be International Kung Fu Politics Month. Any topics relating to issues of legitimacy etc will be posted in October, and only in October. That will leave us with the other 11 months of the year for technical discussions. That is, of course, if your lineage approves.

But first we need to create an organization...

N.

Indeed. Polotics & bash the most hated sifus in your life month. I hate the monkey sifu. He thinks he knows so much! LOL!

(BTW Guys,....I'm KIDDING! NO BASHING!!!!! :D )
~BTL

mantis108
10-19-2005, 12:09 PM
I understand your points and it has been argued for such publication certainly can go under the "freedom of speech" tenet in a free world. That is why personally I don't make a fuss about it. There is certainly a huge market for pulp fictions and academic studies work alike. BTW, I have seen the letter being posted prior to the phone call from Galen and a forum member here (a good friend) notified me. I didn't react on it because I think in this day and age, it's not about stopping someone on doing something. That's reactive and passive. Instead, we should go proactive and aggressively promoting values that we hold true and dearly believe in.

But then I don't believe that freedom of speech can be done without responsibility.

One thing of note (I am also waiting for a copy of this book to verify somethings) is that the HK group believes that Lam did his own rendition of applications. Now, this is a big one even to me, who believe in freedom of speech, if the claim is true. CCK TCPM Sau Fa/Shou Fa is unique and it's essential to our training. Often our Sau Fa is seen in the applications of the forms along side with the forms own applications. If Lam did not in anyway clarify this point, then I am afraid he's really not in any position to show the form. In this case, he is pretty much misleading the general public about the essence of CCK TCPM unless of course he is talking about other lines of TJPM, which I highly doubt that he has trained in those either IMHO.

Hi Jake,

The issue with the naming convention is that some of the stances technically are not the same; therefore, the postures which determine the flavor of the styles would be understood differerntly by the readers. Ding Xi (kneeling stance) in CCK TCPM is not exactly Ruhuan (roughly speaking - enter circle) in 7 Stars. They may look similar to some observers but in the trained eyes. There is a huge difference. Again this would lead to misleading the readers. I don't know the exact content of the book yet, so I will just leave it at that for now until I see the evidence.

Hi Jackie,

If I release anything (histroy, curriculum, quanpu, etc..) that concerns our style, I will seek my mentors' opinions and advices first. This includes the wooden dummy article. That's is without exception. If I were to release my experience of teaching CCK TCPM and ground fighting, I still would have sought their feed back but I don't necessarily have to have their approval. Because it is from my own understanding and blood and sweat. I only have to prove to the audience that I have the goods to deliver which a lot of time is much harder to do. ;)

Warm regards

Robert

MantisCool
10-19-2005, 10:08 PM
Hi! Robert

I understand your point too on responsibility.

LWk's books are only in picture forms and does not offer any explanation on how to move from one step to the other. But then books are for reference only and not for learning without having learnt the form first. Even in WHF's books where explanation is given in each step, one would still not understand it 100% if he doesnt know the form yet. It is always impossible to show "shou fa" in any book which is always so condensed to keep the cost down.

LWK is only showing his understanding of the form. We dont have to follow him in doing so. From what I see, his rendition is influenced by his tan tui understanding or whatever earlier training. If he had being guided out on the form before then I think it is ok for him to write the book if he hasnt then it is wrong.

As you have said, if you were to write a book from your understanding through blood and sweat you dont have to seek anyone's approval.

If let say, your senior said your rendition on a particular move is wrong and you believe it is right because it was taught to you by your sifu would you change it to suit your senior? I dont think you would do so. I wouldnt too for I have seen alot of my senior or junior doing move which is difference from mine.

We should thank LWK instead for publishing the books if it is with good intention and helps to popularise our schools because we our self could not do so and could not give our students reference materials.

Regards
khoo

mantis108
10-20-2005, 02:17 PM
I totally hear you. Personally at the present stage in my study of Tanglangquan, I really couldn't care less if there are more new claims and new books about the subject or even my style for that matter. But I am keeping an eye out for the development of the situation. I have asked a Kung Fu brother in Toronto to give me a copy of that book which will take couple of weeks. I will share my thoughts once I read them.

Warm regards

Robert

MantisCool
10-20-2005, 10:26 PM
Hi! Robert

IMHO, the only person who can take action against someone from misleading publication is the person depicted in the book itself. That is CCK, your sifu. The rest can only critcise and counter back.

Only CCK can know exactly what is right or wrong. The rest can only think so from each person's point of view which are not 100% correct. For example, all the lineages from LGY can say they represent LGY but if you look at his disciples like WHF and CCM, they each have their own flavour. How do we know who is right and who is wrong? Unless we personally saw how LGY taught them and also ONLY IF we saw them correctly!

From what I understand, both WHF and CCM changed some of the actual execution of moves taught by LGY. I can say this because some of the moves my sifu learnt from my sigung, WKH, were changed at a later date due to the influence of WHF's teaching. My sigung thought WHF's move is more accurate but I think my sigung's is more accurate because I saw the old application same as those of CCM.

In order to standardise the name of each movement, some moves which are a bit not the same are compromised with the same name and thus became one. That's why in WHF's earlier books we could initially see same move but different names which IMHO should be a move with a very little bit different in execution and application.

That's my thought of the whole situation whether it is right or wrong but others have their own opinions too.

Regards
khoo