PDA

View Full Version : The rise of MMA in China

Sirus
10-18-2005, 06:25 PM
I've recently been training with a few friends of mine who are MMA-ists, and they asked me about MMA growing in China. I know of a few groups (like the Adoria group www.mmachina.com , Beijing Jiu Jitsu Academy www.baxiroushu.com , etc) that are acting as springboards for MMA events in China (like www.wohsai.com). Most of them are bringing people like Rickson Gracie, Vanderlei Silva, and others over to train them in grappling, muay thai, boxing, etc. It's not necessarily just beginning to rise (as my thread title kinda implies), but its a movement that has been going on since the mid to late 90's.

What strikes me as odd is the nature of the movement. Some groups, like the Adoria group, are promoting traditional martial arts, but more for the purpose of performance (mainly to attract attention for the Olympics), and not function. The indigenous arts, for which the country is known for, are not being considered for this venture into MMA. Even arts that are very compatible, like Soi Gaau (Shuai Jiao), which would have to go under minimal restructuring for the venue, are not being considered. San Da is basically forming the nucleus of the China-based MMA arsenal, with "outside" skills like BJJ, etc being integrated to compliment the skill base. "Modern Kung Fu" (i.e. San Da) is being touted as the "traditional" in some instances. In general, there is very little traditional gung fu finding its way into the mix.

Not to put too fine of a point on it, but do any of you see this as a wake up call for traditional gung fu? How is it that such a vast array of arts from the "motherland" are not even being considered? Are they so antiquated that they can't even be streamlined to meet the demands of such a venue? How does it look when the country of origin doesn't even have faith in the arts that it produced?

However, on the flipside, you have countries like Taiwan, who DO put traditional gung fu people, and other traditional arts from other nations like Aikido, etc, into these types of events.

What do you guys think?

Peace

Edmund
10-18-2005, 10:11 PM
Not to put too fine of a point on it, but do any of you see this as a wake up call for traditional gung fu? How is it that such a vast array of arts from the "motherland" are not even being considered? Are they so antiquated that they can't even be streamlined to meet the demands of such a venue? How does it look when the country of origin doesn't even have faith in the arts that it produced?

I'd say the wake up call has been calling for a few decades now. People within China have been learning arts from other countries for a long time. TKD, Judo, Boxing, etc. Traditional gungfu has somehow managed to find students as well so I doubt they care if the few people interested in MMA in China aren't knocking on their door.

Ultimatewingchun
10-19-2005, 10:44 AM
"Not to put too fine of a point on it, but do any of you see this as a wake up call for traditional gung fu? How is it that such a vast array of arts from the "motherland" are not even being considered? Are they so antiquated that they can't even be streamlined to meet the demands of such a venue? How does it look when the country of origin doesn't even have faith in the arts that it produced?

However, on the flipside, you have countries like Taiwan, who DO put traditional gung fu people, and other traditional arts from other nations like Aikido, etc, into these types of events.

What do you guys think?" (Sirus)

***WHAT DO YOU THINK, SIRUS??? :confused: :confused: :confused:

Sirus
10-19-2005, 02:05 PM
in every thread Sirus starts are you going to act like a troll just b/c he started one thread on the emin/willliam fiasco???

william and many in his camp spent years criticizing HK wing chun and labelling it "modified". now all new interested people all get exposed to what they separate into "traditional" and "modified" versions in their minds, with obviously the "modified" bearing a negative image. those who are of the HK camps somehow automatically got stuck with that label. so once in a while a person will bring up something about william in this context. no sifu is perfect and if they publically criticize others for so long about something it's somewhat understandable that issues will continually arise out of that. you make your own bed...you sleep in it.

we can't all try to force people to not express their opinions on this or think a certain way about it. that's censorship. since the HK camp still bears the effects of the damage already done to its reputation perhaps some from the "traditional" camp could be a little less sensitive and get all hot under the collar after every perceived slight?

I'm not necessarily saying Sirus didn't intend to stir things up, but perhaps it was an honest mistake and maybe we should not be too quick in pouncing on him... This sorta the reason I quit posting on these forums cry babies men wearing the bloomers.

Ultimatewingchun
10-20-2005, 10:33 AM
Either Sirus is who I say he is OR the two of you have no clue as to what has transpired on this board in recent weeks/months regarding some very ugly trolling and all-in-all disgusting and outrageous posts about William Cheung,TWC, and a few different TWC instructors (myself included) - that resulted in the culprit(s) being banned SEVERAL TIMES - as he (they) were reappearing under different names again and again.

Sirus
10-20-2005, 11:47 AM
Either Sirus is who I say he is OR the two of you have no clue as to what has transpired on this board in recent weeks/months regarding some very ugly trolling and all-in-all disgusting and outrageous posts about William Cheung,TWC, and a few different TWC instructors (myself included) - that resulted in the culprit(s) being banned SEVERAL TIMES - as he (they) were reappearing under different names again and again.
(DISCLAIMER: Please do not participate in any serene, open-minded discussion if you are easily offended! The purpose of any topic is not to define what is "right" or "wrong", rather to share and discuss different personal opinions of truth, reality, and religious beliefs/practices, regardless of basis.)

Sirus
10-20-2005, 12:08 PM

Well I have been known to give constructive critisim Vic you should not get caught up in petty things, I do not know how old you are but some of your whining and complaining resembles that of my teenage daughter. I think back to the basics is in order. (STICKS AND STONE WILL BREAK YOUR BONES BUT NAMES WILL NEVER HURT YOU)
hAVE A GREAT DAY

Edmund
10-20-2005, 06:10 PM
I don't know what happened in recent weeks/months here as I only began the majority of my posting the last few days.

Well, read previous posts!

There's only one guy who keeps bringing up the same crap over and over using different screen names each time he's banned. The guy's a fruitcake who just can't stop.

Sirus has exactly the same style. He's also just "joined" after a previous incarnation was banned.

anerlich
10-20-2005, 07:40 PM
in every thread Sirus starts are you going to act like a troll just b/c he started one thread on the emin/willliam fiasco???

He just started a second William Cheung thread, and made a clumsily veiled insinuation that Yip Man molested William Cheung as a boy on another thread.

I'd say the evidence is mounting that he has issues with William Cheung that for some demented reason he feels need to be rehashed for the zillionth time.

In that context it appeared that you may have overreacted with too little information to go on up until that point in time.

And perhaps you did the same, huh?

Sirus
10-20-2005, 07:59 PM
He just started a second William Cheung thread, and made a clumsily veiled insinuation that Yip Man molested William Cheung as a boy on another thread.

I'd say the evidence is mounting that he has issues with William Cheung that for some demented reason he feels need to be rehashed for the zillionth time.

And perhaps you did the same, huh?
Instead of always being the wanna be moderator why don't you start a thread.

anerlich
10-20-2005, 08:56 PM
Instead of always being the wanna be moderator why don't you start a thread

Clean up your own backyard, particularly your obsession with YM's supposed paedophilia, then you can start criticising my posting habits. you've only been here a few days, no? So what's with the "always"? How would you know?

I have no interest in moderating. I find it moderately amusing to track and highlight the obsessions of some ( or is it one?) on this forum.

I've started plenty of threads in the past. More than you, Underdog2, Samson (although he gave it a nudge), Mortal 1, MSN13, Silent Warrior, etc. put together.

Sirus
10-20-2005, 09:37 PM
Obsession you seem to be obsessed with underdog ect. Grow up dude this is terrible me and you going back and forth I will no longer respond to you.:mad:

anerlich
10-20-2005, 11:01 PM
Grow up dude this is terrible me and you going back and forth I will no longer respond to you.

Suits me fine.