PDA

View Full Version : Can Traditional Wing Chun Guys Fight

Sirus
10-18-2005, 06:29 PM
Why do some people portray Traditional Chinese Martial Artist or Kung fu people in general as not being interested in fighting or not having the ability to fight with their kung fu?

Back in the “old days” TCMA/Kung Fu people were not questioned about their ability to “really fight” using their kung fu. Did it have anything to do with the environment and the greater possibility that you might find yourself in a situation where your life depended on your kung fu?

Quick story:
Been a cop 7 yrs. Our department teaches grappling to every officer and in order to convince us that grappling is “superior” to all martial arts, they show us a video where a particular grappling family beats up martial artists from various styles with one being a so called “kung fu representative”. First of all I knew this kung fu guy couldn’t fight because he was wearing those old 70’s gym shorts with knee high tube socks and those kung fu slippers that everyone buys when they first start taking martial arts. That was the first clue. The second clue was obvious when the “kung fu representative” went into a “karate kid” crane stance as he and the grappler faced off. oh yeah don't forget the sash he wore around his gym shorts, which qualified him as a kung fu fighter. Well, as you would imagine, the grappler punished the “kung fu representative” very quickly. Now I was extremely embarrassed watching this video in a room full of cops who know I study traditional kung fu. By the way if anyone knows this “kung fu representative” please slap him for the entire kung fu community (just kidding, I’m sure he’s a wonderful person ).

Are some of the people representing kung fu today responsible? What about SOME people who say that they are experienced TCMA, but when they fight they basically get “pimp slapped” by other styles of martial arts?

What about “kung fu Joe” (Hung Ga Sifu Joe Colvin) on the east coast? He actually got his name from the karate circuit guys, who respected him for kicking their a$$es with obvious kung fu techniques?

No disrespect to anyone, just trying to stir up discussion about this matter, which keeps popping up lately.

Fajing
10-18-2005, 07:35 PM
I think that most depends on the fighter (individual). Our natural skill/ability makes a huge difference in our fighting. I'm sure you could take some traditional kung fu practitioners and put them up against ground fighters, and the traditional guy would win. It all depends on who's fighting. If Jet Li were using only traditional kung fu against a ground fighter in this forum, I would bet on Jet Li. SKILL LEVELS, SPEED, BALANCE, POWER, TIMING, AGILITY, NATUAL TALENT, all have to be considered. We are all different and capable of different things. Men/Women are not all created equal. So basically it all depends on the fighter in my opinion. There are great fighters in any/every art.

stuartm
10-19-2005, 02:19 AM
....yawn yawn yawn yawn yawn !:mad: this is getting really tiresome, and the whole debate can be wrapped up very simply:

- are you training in wing chun to defend yourself against the idiot on the street?

- ...or are you into wearing lycra pants and rolling round a ring trying to prove youre a hard nut or something?

I certainly sit in the former camp, as i suspect most people do

Stuart:)

stuartm
10-19-2005, 05:14 AM
Hey,

Read my previous contributions to decent threads, i have always contributed fairly and squarely, and have stated that its just an opinion. These other threads though are pretty much pointless, i dont know what people hope to gain from them:confused:

I'll happily discuss training technique and approach all day mate:)

PS - ive never been rude, if you think so its your hyper-sensitivity im afraid. Do yourself a favour and have a look past the last two comments ive made and you'll see ive been helpful and always anti-trolling.

Chill my friend.....im off to start a coulpe of threads on:

1. Which Yip Man students finishes the system.........#
2. Who knows the real knife form............
3. did William Cheung learn a different version of.............

ONLY KIDDING!!!!!;)

Sirus
10-19-2005, 09:21 AM
Hey,

Read my previous contributions to decent threads, i have always contributed fairly and squarely, and have stated that its just an opinion. These other threads though are pretty much pointless, i dont know what people hope to gain from them:confused:

I'll happily discuss training technique and approach all day mate:)

PS - ive never been rude, if you think so its your hyper-sensitivity im afraid. Do yourself a favour and have a look past the last two comments ive made and you'll see ive been helpful and always anti-trolling.

Chill my friend.....im off to start a coulpe of threads on:

1. Which Yip Man students finishes the system.........#
2. Who knows the real knife form............
3. did William Cheung learn a different version of.............

ONLY KIDDING!!!!!;) Wow! those would be great topics to start