PDA

View Full Version : Deer Horn Knives

Zhin
02-10-2001, 06:30 PM
Okay,

How the heck do you carry these things without slashing your clothes, etc apart?

and weren't they meant to be concealable?

count
02-10-2001, 07:02 PM
You want to carry these things? Are you nuts? The palace guards would conceal them in there sleeves. You don't wear one of these Palace Guard uniforms in the street do you? And yes, when they did use them logic would tell you the sleeves got ripped and more, but hey, in a fight, torn clothes are the last of your worries.

Don't mean to be inflamatory cause I like these deerhorn knives too. It's just there are better knives that you can easily conceal if you need to carry them.

;)

˙

Daniel Madar
02-10-2001, 08:47 PM
This actually brings up some things I had been thinking about for a long time.

You don't wear one of these Palace Guard uniforms in the street do you? And yes, when they did use them logic would tell you the sleeves got ripped and more, but hey, in a fight, torn clothes are the last of your worries.
Don't mean to be inflamatory cause I like these deerhorn knives too. It's just there are better knives that you can easily conceal if you need to carry them.

I can't speak for Shin, but I would carry them around, I just would not conceal them. Of course, I wouldn't carry them to a club, but then I won't bring a knife into a club either.

The reason for that I would carry them around is this: If you are carrying around the deerhorns, you have automatically classified yourself as a lunatic, and potentially more dangerous than other people. Thus people are less likely to mess with you.

If the police stop you, and they find a knife, it's a concealed weapon. If the police stop you and you've got the deerhorns on you, you have a variety of options. If they are in your coat you can say that --at least according to cal law-- you were bringing them back from practice. By law you need to keep them in a carry case, but they don't have cases for DH knives. At the very least you'll make them scratch their heads enough that if you remain calm and reasonable, they may let it slide.

I had a situation like that happen in Mountain View CA, where I was walking along with a Bokken. All I got was a warning and a ride home from the officer to prevent me from "frightening the populace".

In an aside, do you know where I can get an imperial guard or even a qing outfit? I've found two places with Wong Fei Hong Style robes, but not Manchu stuff.

count
02-11-2001, 01:29 AM
Dan,
Where did you get your deerhorns from? I'm looking for some decent ones.

:rolleyes: 0

Daniel Madar
02-11-2001, 03:42 AM
I actually don't have any though I was thinking about it. The nicest one's I've seen seem to be the ones on the www.bokleipo.com (http://www.bokleipo.com) site. They look a lot like the ones in Crouching tiger. Very nice.

Depending on my cash flow, I'll let you know when I get them, and what I think. I've seen most others out there, and they all look like crap.

-D

Daniel Madar
02-13-2001, 08:20 PM
Hey,

I called bokleipo, and sadly their deer horns are aluminum. Still, I may pick them up anyway.

TaoBoxer
02-14-2001, 04:11 AM
I have heard of them being carried 3 ways:

1: In the sleeve. My only problem with this is mine are pretty big.....how the heck are you supposed to get at them??

2: Behind the back. They would be layed on top of eachother in opposite directions in your sash

3: Front of your vest. They would be worn in the front of your vest...like a Shuai Jiao player wears...or the kind work over a cheong sam, one on each side.

I make a nice set of aluminum Deer Hooks and I can also make steel (sharpened) but they are quite a bit more expensive. If you're interested, email me at Taoboxer@altavista.com

TaoBoxer
02-14-2001, 04:11 AM
I have heard of them being carried 3 ways:

1: In the sleeve. My only problem with this is mine are pretty big.....how the heck are you supposed to get at them??

2: Behind the back. They would be layed on top of eachother in opposite directions in your sash

3: Front of your vest. They would be worn in the front of your vest...like a Shuai Jiao player wears...or the kind work over a cheong sam, one on each side.

I make a nice set of aluminum Deer Hooks and I can also make steel (sharpened) but they are quite a bit more expensive. If you're interested, email me at Taoboxer@altavista.com

Bill Lewitt

Daniel Madar
02-14-2001, 07:54 AM
Got any pics? I find that I prefer the variant offered by bokleipo, and would want any that I purchased to be of that pattern. Can you reproduce those in steel?

TaoBoxer
02-15-2001, 04:24 AM
All of my work is done off of a AUTOCADD/CAD-CAM style machine. I can reproduce or make original work for ANYTHING.

Email me at Taoboxer@altavista.com

Bill