PDA

View Full Version : Typical CLF Curriculum

adwired
10-20-2005, 12:24 PM
I’ve been training in CLF for about 4 weeks now and I was wondering about the typical curriculum. My classes always start with a 30-minute workout followed by another 30 minutes of either forms or drills (depending on the day) but we never seem to cover the basics (stances, blocks, punches, kicks, etc…) that make up those forms or drills. Are these typically covered separately or am I suppose to pick them up as a result of doing the more complex forms or drills? I’m new to CLF but I’m coming from a Kempo background that seems to follow a more defined curriculum, basics first then leading up to more advanced stuff. The CLF seems to be more disorganized.

Ou Ji
10-20-2005, 12:55 PM
Chinese styles seem to be disorganized when coming from a Japanese style. At least that's how I viewed it when making the switch. It takes a little getting used to and of course there are pros and cons also.

I can't help wondereing what drills (block, punch, kick?) you are doing if you aren't practicing basics?

Fu-Pow
10-20-2005, 01:11 PM
I’ve been training in CLF for about 4 weeks now and I was wondering about the typical curriculum. My classes always start with a 30-minute workout followed by another 30 minutes of either forms or drills (depending on the day) but we never seem to cover the basics (stances, blocks, punches, kicks, etc…) that make up those forms or drills. Are these typically covered separately or am I suppose to pick them up as a result of doing the more complex forms or drills? I’m new to CLF but I’m coming from a Kempo background that seems to follow a more defined curriculum, basics first then leading up to more advanced stuff. The CLF seems to be more disorganized.

I'd say that usually those things should be covered individually, although we also get people started on forms pretty quickly. However, before every class we usually go through basic stances, kicks and hand techniques. Just out of curiosity, who is your teacher?

lkfmdc
10-20-2005, 01:26 PM
Even my teacher, who didn't run a conventional school and was more into teaching those who already had experience, stressed BASICS

What is the point in showing you the basic form, so, jong, haut, pon, chaap....

if you don't know how to correctly so
if you don't know how to correctly jong

etc etc

Skill, and being able to use any technique, is about practice, breaking down and building up...

If you're getting the large pieces and not doing the pieces that make up that larger whole, bad news in my opinion

Ben Gash
10-20-2005, 02:19 PM
If you'd done 4 weeks of Choy Li Fut with me, basics is pretty much all you'd have done. Have to agree with Sifu Ross on this one.

Sow Choy
10-20-2005, 02:39 PM
CLF Curriculum,

Each school will different with the way they teach... It's up to the sifu... Some people open schools thinking they can do better than others... But I also agree the basics are most important...

We have a warm up, then basic stances, kicks, basic fist sets of blocks/strikes, and basic techniques each class before we go into the training...

But we do not have any one-step sparring drills or many combos to memorize...

In our school, after learning the basics, they can be interchanged according to your needs...

Joe

adwired
10-20-2005, 05:54 PM
Thanks to all for your valuable feedback. I didn't mean to say we don't cover the basics, we just don't cover them individually, we do them as part of drills or forms. I can see how some people might get bored with that but I prefer to start simple and build on it.

hskwarrior
10-20-2005, 06:08 PM
Everyone is right in this case. except in my school, it may take you 1-3 months strictly on basics before you learn any hand forms.

for example, if my students have never thrown a kick or a punch properly then i break it down to the most minor parts and build them up from there. my students have been with me for more than 6 months now and the are only 1/3 of their 2nd hand form. basics are very important. you will find out that you will always go back to basics, even when you are advanced as a student.

in my school, i put them thru jot ma training, then our 7 star punching drills, kicks, 3 star blocking (stationary and mobile), for more warm ups i put them thru 1 step, 2step and 3 step applications. i also take out the combinations from the sets they are learning or about to learn and train them in that before learning the set.

basics are your best friend.

hsk

David Jamieson
10-21-2005, 05:54 PM
I believe the standard curriculum is first you learn 70 billion forms and then in the second year you have to spend at least 11 months arguing with other clf-ers in a internet forum about whether or not the lineage you belong to is dubious.

And then you learn drunken style.

yep, that's about it.

:D

If you can't take a joke, you know what to do. :D :D

Ou Ji
10-21-2005, 06:11 PM
I'm confused, I thought that was Shaolin Do. :p

David Jamieson
10-21-2005, 09:38 PM
I'm confused, I thought that was Shaolin Do. :p

It's a small world and circumstances may be similar, though the names have been changed to protect the innocent. :D

Infrazael
10-26-2005, 08:08 PM
Adwired -- I got your PM at MAP.

I know your Sifu, because he goes on this very site.

I won't say who he is, and I haven't disclosed any information yet.

Mabye you should ask him? PM me if you wanna know who I'm talking about.