PDA

View Full Version : Why are we here

Sihing73
10-22-2005, 06:49 AM
Hello,

I wanted to post this hoping that all who visit here will read it.

Recently one of our members offered a public appology for the actions of others who seem bent on attacking him and some of his fellow lineage members. This person seems to believe that he is in some way responsible for the actions of these others. His message simply put could be paraphrased simply as: "if I were not here then they would not be posting negative crap and subjecting the forum to such nonsense." To this I say you are wrong! If it were not you under attack such people would simply find someone else and concentrate thier efforts on them and/or their lineage. Such people are not here to discuss Wing Chun/Tsun or however you wish to spell it. They are here to gain the attention and implied status they fail to achieve in real life. Sadly, such people can not be reasoned with nor are they likely to ever change. In a way they remind me of a teenagers bad case of acne, an irritation and not too nice to look at, but in time it will clear up. Although, there is always the possibility of some lingering signs of the condition, some minor scaring perhaps, but in all but the most extreme cases, no real damage.

Each person who visits this board does so for their own reasons. Some wish to learn about others or get some assistance in their own journey down the path we call Wing Chun. Some wish to engage in social discourse and make friends. Some are just curious and are exploring what's out there. Some are trying to promote their own lineage or approach to the system. Some have chosen to use this medium to make the attacks which they lack the courage or conviction to do in real life. For it is easy to post things from the safety of your computer keyboard rather than in the presence of those you are attacking.

It takes far more courage to actually step outsid eof the box and accept the fact that we will all have instances where we run into those we do not like. What defines us is how we deal with and respond to those instances. No matter how we feel it is on us to respond to those in a proper manner. We decide how to react and in the end this is our responsibility. We can not blame anyone else for our actions. We can try to justify them by pointing to this or that, but in the end it was/is our decision that results in our actions/reactions. I feel that one of the bigest problems today is the lack of accountability. Too many excuse their actions by pointing to what someone else did and using that as an excuse. If this is how you live then you are truly less of a person, as you are incapable of defining your own life and will always be at the mercy of someone else, as their treatment of you is what actually defines you.

I would ask that everyone think about what I have said, if I am wrong then so be it, it is after all only my opinion and as such means little, except to me. However, I urge everyone to take the steps needed to make this forum a better place. Do not give in to the trolls or others or post negative attacks and crap, some under the guise of trying to hold valid conversations. Be true to who you are, whatever that may mean to you, and let you be the one who defines your life and actions not others. Realize that not every attack requires nor deserves a answer and be man/woman enough to let the other guy win, at least on the surface. Spend your time building up rather than tearing down. No matter what anyone does as you can only be responsible for yourself.

Oh, and Phil (kept this at the bottom in order to make you read the whole thing :p ) if you leave because of the actions of some troll then I, myself will think less of you, FWIW. Having had the opportunity to meet you in person only briefly once, I still got the impression you were made of sterner stuff. If you do choose to leave then let it be your decision not because of someone else. If you allow another to drive you away then you are in reality hurting all those who enjoy your presence here.

One last thing: While we also have other lives we are not blind to what goes on here. Have patience and report posts and those making them. I promise you that anyone not contributing here will be banned. Just realize that there are many ways to get an id and like a Steven King movie "Sometimes they Come Back", in which case we will get rid of them again.

Ultimatewingchun
10-22-2005, 08:17 AM
You hear that, Phil?

Better stick around or else we'll REALLY be calling you names! :cool: :eek: :rolleyes:

couch
10-22-2005, 01:15 PM
I also enjoy your company here on the board. You bring a wealth of knowledge and wisdom with you.

Forever in support of friendships between lineages,
Kenton Sefcik

Phil Redmond
10-22-2005, 04:08 PM
I got the point guys. :)
Thanks,
Phil