PDA

View Full Version : Chum Kiu/Sabao Jong search

iamleaving
10-22-2005, 11:07 PM
I am trying to find any information on the Sabao Jong or Chum Kiu Jong.
I'm not exactly sure what it is but it is a training appratus similar to the Mok Jong.

Does anybody have any information on it?
Thanks in advance.

YongChun
10-28-2005, 07:46 PM
Standard for Wing Chun is just the Wooden Dummy 108 or 116 movements or 240 or so for the Pan Nam version? Then there is the three pole kicking dummy. Some Wing Chun lineages also say there is a pole dummy and a knife dummy. There are all kinds of wooden training dummies in the Chinese arts. The Black Tiger style has a cement dummy that rotates and has steel pipes sticking out of it. Choy Lee Fut has various kinds of dummies including an iron fan point hitting dummy. Hollywood even had the Greeks using dummies in the move Spartacus (I think). I also have met a couple of people who train Tai Chi for combat and they also use a dummy that's not the same as the Wing Chun Dummy. The book Chinese master's and there methods by Robert Smith shows a couple of photos of Southern style dummies where on is just a pole with a single arm sticking out of it. Then there is the movie Wu Dong that shows a Wu Shu lady learning Tai Chi from an old master and he has her beat up another kind of dummy in order to train for fighting the Japanese. The movie Prodical Son also has a dummy for training single sticking hands. James Lee built all kinds of training gadgets for Bruce Lee. I met a Filipino Master Sonny Umpad (very fast with a knife and does chain striking with his sticks the same as Wing Chun's chain punching: http://www.defend.net/deluxeforums/showthread.php?t=3272) who used a dummy with many arms coming out of it that he used to train his stick routines. One Hong Kong student of Yip Man has developed all kinds of specialized training dummies. One is even electric. The 1980's Hong Kong magazine Real Kung Fu has articles about this sifu.

Ray

NeedsPractice
10-28-2005, 08:00 PM
Its not a dummy per se, and much easier to build by far than a wooden man.Your sifu should know of it or be able to put together something along the correct lines.

iamleaving
10-29-2005, 09:33 AM
Thanks NeedsPractice
My Sifu first mentioned it to me and we his students want to get one as a gift for him.
So I can't really ask him.

If anybody knows it would be greatly appreciated.

NeedsPractice
10-29-2005, 04:45 PM
Well I dont think anybody sells it, you would have to build it or get it built.
Best bet see if any wing chun schools close to you have one , take a look and go from there.

nojack
10-31-2005, 05:07 PM
One Hong Kong student of Yip Man has developed all kinds of specialized training dummies. One is even electric. The 1980's Hong Kong magazine Real Kung Fu has articles about this sifu.

Ray[/QUOTE]

Are you be talking about Ho Luen of Los Angeles, he is one of Yip Man disciple. He now is 80+ years old still making Dummies as far as I know, I heard he is also the one who taught Koo Sang to make Dummies. He use good quality woods to make dummies, and is expensive too.