PDA

View Full Version : What's your typical class look like?

YongChun
10-25-2005, 09:59 AM
What's a typical class in your school look like?

He is an example of what we might do. we use various class plans, evaluate if they work or not to progress students at an appropriate rate. If not, we scrap it and try a new approach. The class plan also depends on the student mix that particular day.

Example of a typical two hour class plan: (assumes students are warmed up)

Part 1: 7:00-7:30 pm: 30 minutes: Warm up

1. Little Idea Form – Siu Lim/Nim Tao
2. Punching – pads/wall mounted bags etc.
3. Stepping + punching/kicking – footwork training

Depending on the class mix (level), this part may include Chum Kiu, Bill Jee etc.

Part2: 7:30-8:00 pm: 30 minutes

Applications of the various 18 or so hand techniques of Wing Chun: Tan sau, Bong Sau, Fook sau, etc. vs punching, kicking, grabbing or weapons attack. Sometimes we train applications from the live dummy and variations.

Part 3: 5 minute: Video break – watch martial arts stuff of all type especially Wing Chun material.

Part 4: 8:05-8:30 pm: 30 minutes Sticking Hands

1. Single sticking hands
2. Lap sau + various changes
3. Rolling hands + standard attacks or just plain rolling hands (Poon sau)

Some very basic (beginner tool kit) changes in the Lap sau exercise can include: Tan and punch, Pak sau and punch, long pull with inside or outside defense, low strike with either hand, foot attacks.

Five very basic entries in chi sau (beginner tool kit) can include center palm hit, Tan and punch, Pak sau and punch, Lap sau and punch, Jum/Gum sau and punch.

Part 5: 8:30-9:00 pm: Random freestyle practice

Those who do not have the prerequisites of the SLT, single sticking hands, Lap sau and Rolling hands (Poon sau) work on this with an assistant teacher or senior student.

Group1: those who know the SLT, single sticking hands, Lap sau and Rolling hands do the mixed freestyle sticking hands training. The idea is to work on something not on who can hit who with their one technique.

Group2: Those who know the mixed Chi sau pretty well but don’t have the second form down or parts of the dummy, work on this as a prerequisite to sparring training. Later the Pole, weapons, provide further aids to the sparring training.

Group 3: Those people who have done a lot of freestyle Chi sau and who wanting to learn sparring, are ready for it and have a sense of safety, control and maturity engage in the sparring training. This part includes punching kicking, grappling or weapons with or without protection.

The minimum mandatory training that everyone must know:

1. SLT
2. Entry footwork + a few hands
3. Single sticking hands
4. Lap sau
5. Rolling hands

With this minimum, everyone can work together to help each other.

Once a month or so the entire 2 hour class might be devoted to a particular topic like:

1. Chi sau
2. Entry techniques
3. Applications
4. Weapons
5. Locking and counters
6. Sparring training
7. Grappling and counters
8. Guest martial artist (Thai Boxing, Grappling, Filipino stick work , Tai Chi, anything)

The goal is to be able to fully utilize the art against anything. Emphasis is always on good structure and position. Over time practitioners should become more and more relaxed although some can be very relaxed from day 1. The intensity is just governed by who practices with who and the idea of safety. Experienced people can look like they are almost killing each other yet no one gets hurt. Most people’s training is mild mannered in looks.

The type of videos and CD’s I expose people to include:

Gary Lam, Tsui Shan Ting, Wong Shun Leung, Kenneth Chung, Eddie Ching, Duncan Leung, Hawkins Cheung, Moy Yat, Wang Kiu, Emin Boztepe, Kernspecht, Leung Ting, Lo Man Kam, William Cheung, … in fact anything on the market. We also look at grappling, boxing, Aikido, Tai Chi, Hung style, Silat and anything else.

We don’t use any ranking or belt system because we are a small (maybe 20 students of so) group who just do this for a hobby. We don’t have people these days who like to do professional fighting. So sometimes beginners practice with beginners but part of the class anyone trains with anyone.

stonecrusher69
10-26-2005, 04:08 AM
Sounds like a well rounded session.We train similar but more time is put into chi sao training maybe more like an hour each class,but then sometimes we don't train it all and work on something particular..

El Tejon
10-26-2005, 06:00 AM
20! Wow, you guys are bigger than us.

Tuesday night: variable--footwork, shift drills, chi sao, I've been doing the swords a lot recently with my sihing. He's so good with them. We usually circle spar and then put on pads and beat on each other, sometimes with pugil sticks (about once a month).

Thursday night: circuit training. We have five exercises (varies but usually jump rope, the mook, pull ups, heavy bag, long pole, recover drill [oh, that's fun!], stationary bike, wall bag, doing the biu jee over and over, inter alia) that we repeat four times by rotating around the exercises (we even have a large time clock now with a buzzer). Takes about 2 hours and then we do abs and call it a night.

Sunday afternoon: we run as a club and my office-bound backside needs it. Sometimes we go to my sihing's place and run the swords or run through the mook.

We don't do the empty hand forms much. But every 6 months my sihing will watch me do them. My sifu looks them over maybe once a year.

We don't watch any videos. Well, we have had video night, watch a fave movie of someone (non-martial arts stuff: Unforgiven, Justice for All, Way of the Gun), but that involves beer drinking and not Wing Chun.:D

Ultimatewingchun
10-26-2005, 09:39 AM
Monday 7-9pm:

A few minutes of stretching, followed by SLT, various pak sao exercises, various bong sao/lop sao exercises, dan chi sao, various aspects of double arm chi sao and long arm (kiu sao)...various semi-to-fully spontaneous drills that start from non contact range dealing with wing chun striking attacks (and defenses against strikes, both wing chun strikes and boxing type attacks)...followed by about 20 minutes on the wooden dummy for those who are up to it.

Wednesday 7-9pm:

week 1: (A) 20 minutes of stretching, conditioning, cardio...followed by 1.5 hours of standup wrestling in the clinch, setups for takedowns, use of elbows and knees.

week 2: (A)....followed by 1.5 hours of wrestling takedowns, throws, and sweeps - and defenses against takedowns, throws, and sweeps.

week 3: (A)...followed by 1.5 hours of use of and defense against the mount and guard ground positions.

week 4: (A)...followed by 1.5 hours of other ground positions, transitions, escapes, and reversals and submissions.

week 5: (A)...followed by use of wing chun butterfly swords (apx. 50 minutes) and dragon pole (apx. 50 minutes).

week 6: (A)...followed by self defense class: unarmed vs. knife attacks, standing headlocks, bear hugs, chokes, multiple opponents, etc.

Saturdays (12-3 pm)

(A)...followed by forms, footwork, punching, kicking, some chi sao and related drills like pak sao, bong/lop sao, etc...long range drills that involve attacking with kicks and defending against kicks...long range drills that involve using some boxing hands and boxing/kick boxing/TWC footwork to bridge the gap to very close contact range....followed by gearing up and engaging in semi-to-full contact spontaneous sparring, including headshots and full power kicking to the legs and body.

Mortal1
10-26-2005, 10:11 AM
Many times when I get to class he just throws me in the back with the senior students for free sparring and we just do that for 2 hours.

Other times

We do a a little chi gung

The first form

Basic blocking drills. The four gates.

Lop sau. Then all the transitions.

Chi sau. Transitions.

Chi sau sparring. We don't always stick on each other. We start in chi sau then it goes where it goes. No euqipment hard contact(80%).

Light free sparring. Sometimes staring from different ranges so we learn how to close the gap.

Hard free sparring. Basically no equipment 80% power. A little lighter to the face. No contact is ok if your whole body is close and your arm isn't completly extended. It has to be a structured attack that got in with room to spare. Controlling the opponent after hitting.

Then we work on different ranges. Start ten feet away. Then decrease the starting distance by a foot everytime.

n.mitch
10-26-2005, 09:21 PM
You guys get good value training for 2 hours most places ive been are around 1 hour.
In our snr class which consists of about 4 or 5 people class goes for 1hr and 20 or so we warm up for around 15 minutes with statitic stretches and balancing exercises,squates and total body stretching then every one has a go up the front of the class doing sil lim tao then being corrected by sifu or points to work on, then we do some self defence drills or foot work training depending on what sifu wants to improve.
then go throught chum kiu, then dummy and bil jee depending who is there and what form your up to then the rest of the lesson on chi sau or sparing and some chi gerk.( note at different stages we work on different things which is good keeps it interresting 0

Mortal1
10-27-2005, 09:01 AM
I also train sport wushu and those classes are 2 hours also. I can't imagine class being any shorter and still getting to all the elements we need to work on. Also I always come early and leave late.

Don J
10-27-2005, 11:29 PM
A typical day at the gym starts with

3X 3min Rope Work
about i would say 15-20min Stretches with Squats Pushups etc
Some Techniques done in the air for about 5min or so not to sure never usually look at the time. Then we move onto some partner drills eg Offensive combinations or Defensive sequences. Then we do the pad work for about 30min my estimate would be, then usually cool down with some chi sao. Then we do Ab work and finally the first form usually done. The class is a total of 1hr 30min and then after class is done its onto some sparring.

YongChun
10-31-2005, 12:39 PM
Before class: look at the Choy Lee Fut style video showing arm smashing drills and their wooden dummy training.

Class PLan for yesterday October 30, 2005

1. Part 1: 30 minutes

a) Little Idea Form
b) Chum Kiu form with various pices repeated to train turning and stepping
c) Stepping practice for Tan + punch, with Fook and punch and with Gan + chop + grab + punch.

2. Part 2: 30 minutes

a) Chi sau + Pak sau and punch entry
b) Chi sau + Jum sau and chain punch entry
c) Chi sau + Bil sau + Lap and punch + press and punch entry
d) Free style chi sau

3. Part 3: 30 minutes

This part will lead up to full sparring with protection:

a) Roundouse kick vs #7 sidestep and entry + Gan above the knee area. Work on entry timing. The main thing is stance movement.

7. Part 4: 15 minutes

a) Knife defense:

Your partner does a horizontal across the throat slash followed by a diagonal downward slash followed by another downward diagonal slash for the other angle, then a straight as fast as you can stomach thrust. You evade, evade, evade then counter the trust, hit and follow with a disarm so that you can take equal turns attacking and defending. As soon as you do the wrist turn and take the knife away you immediately slash the throat of your partner and he has to be quick to move. Of course we also take care not to hurt our partners.

8. Part 5: 15 minutes

a) countering a particular grappler entry

Your partner fakes high which you match. Then he immediately shoots low which you match with an appropriate technique (sprawl, double low bong whatever), then your partner goes high immediately for the head lock, you change angles and apply a variety of things such as Tan + punch for one idea. If you are late and the headlock is applied, then you counter that in various ways.

9. Part 6: 10 minutes:

Everyone gets some pads. Your partner does continuous chain punches for two minutes. Then your partner holds the pads in various positions while you do sort of a Thai workout routine of punching, elbowing, kneeing or roundhouse kicking depending on where the pads are held. The workout is continuous and intense for 2 or three minutes just like you would do in a boxing ring. Eventually you do three rounds of three minutes. The Thai pads are the best but cheaper are the samll round pads.

10. Watch a video clip about something and talk about stuff.

Each section can vary all over the map depending on the background and experience level of the students who happen to show up for that particular class. Senior students usually vary the drills according to what they like to train. Junior students stick to the drills exactly as shown.

11. Have a wrestling match on the cement floor with a student who is studying Gracie Jujitsu kind of stuff. (great workout). People talked about chipping in to maybe buy some mats.

Ray

Ultimatewingchun
11-01-2005, 11:45 AM
"Saturdays (12-3 pm)

(A)...followed by forms, footwork, punching, kicking, some chi sao and related drills like pak sao, bong/lop sao, etc...long range drills that involve attacking with kicks and defending against kicks...long range drills that involve using some boxing hands and boxing/kick boxing/TWC footwork to bridge the gap to very close contact range....followed by gearing up and engaging in semi-to-full contact spontaneous sparring, including headshots and full power kicking to the legs and body." (UWC)

***JUSTED WANTED to add some more detail about what I previously reported concerning our Saturday class...

Namely, after the chi sao and related drills part of the class...we start throwing some LIGHT punching and kicking attacks that I described as "long range...boxing hands and...(various types of) footwork."

And instead of JUST using it to, as I said, "bridge the gap to very close contact range" (so that we can use the quintessential wing chun infighting striking moves)... we ALSO often continue lightly into actual wrestling in the clinch, striking in the clinch, setups for takedowns, go-behinds, and locks while in the clinch...BUT IT'S DONE with a sort of semi-competitiveness and moderate power to the body and very light (pulled) strikes to the head and face - and the same with knee and elbow shots...

SO THAT it becomes a learning drill (with lots of stops and starts), rather than an all out sparring situation per se; so that in effect, although very spontaneous and unplanned - it becomes more of a drill than anything else.

And as it gets a little faster and more intense (as it always tends to do)...we then stop and put on the thin gloves and mouthpieces...and as the kicking aspect of the exercise gets faster and more intense..we stop again and put on the shin and knee pads...

and after some more of this...it's time to put on the headgear and chest protector...

AT WHICH POINT it gradually becomes all out sparring almost always resulting in getting up to 90-100% full power strikes, kicks, etc. - including headshots and kicks to the legs and body at near (and sometimes all out) full power while wearing light sneakers.

There are some big advantages to this approach, imo:

(A) Many fighting bases are covered.
(B) There's an opportunity to learn something new and drill it.
(C) There's an opportunity to spar all out.
(D) The gradualness (0 to 100) of the speed and power allows for confidence to build, without...
(E) Having the whole thing just become a big, sloppy "kick boxing" match. :rolleyes: ;)

lawrenceofidaho
11-02-2005, 10:15 PM
Have a wrestling match on the cement floor with a student who is studying Gracie Jujitsu kind of stuff. (great workout).
Sifu Emin told me that the best way to learn about the realities of grappling was to wrestle around on a hard surface........ I think he made a good point!

-L

lawrenceofidaho
11-02-2005, 10:18 PM
Class PLan for yesterday October 30, 2005 -Ray
Cool class plan, by the way.......
I wish I was there to train with you guys. =)

-Lawrence