PDA

View Full Version : Book Review: Shaolin Secret Formulas...

Qiman
10-26-2005, 12:04 PM
I am considering buying the book Shaolin Secret Formulas for Treatment of External Injury The Author is Patriarch De Chan.

Anyone familiar with this work? Is it legit, or a bunch of crap someone is just trying to make a nickle with? Thank you in advance for your kind response.

herb ox
10-26-2005, 11:13 PM
I have this one... it's actually compiled and translated by Bob Flaws, who is a most prolific TCM writer.

While I really enjoy the book, some of the ingredients are pretty wild, and finding a suitable replacement often requires some knowledge of TCM herbology. Let's see... well, there's the urine, roaches, some legally-prohibited substances and even prepared human feces.... like I say, I really enjoy the book :p !

Unfortunately, Flaws does not go into much detail about the recipes other than a brief description of what it's used for (i.e recovery powder for injury due to metal object striking baihui (top of head)), or the principles behind the forumulae. However, it's still a worthwhile read... but still, most of the formulae are beyond reach for the lay practicioner.

Anyone else?

herb ox

GeneChing
10-27-2005, 09:56 AM
I saw Shi Deqian in 2003. He's the monk best know for compiling the Shaolin Encyclopedia. He told me that Bob Flaws never compensated him in any way for the translation of his book into English. Now, this is weird gray zone in international copytright law (not that Deqian has the capability to bring any sort of legal action about anyway). When something enters the public domain, like say, the Dao De Jing, anyone can translated and own their translation of it. Now, Deqian didn't write this book - like the bulk of his Shaolin works, he only compiled them. But at the same time, it is credited to him (although not in pinyin) and it's the just a direct translation of what he published, or so I'm told. To be honest, I've never engaged Deqian's Chinese version. That being said, I do have the book and think it's an interesting read. Of course, I'm somewhat absolved because I first discovered it years ago, and was the first to introduce it into the martial arts market with my previous company. At that time, I was completely unaware of any controversy around it. I have great respect for Shi Deqian. I respect Bob Flaws too. And as a writer myself, plaguerism is a big issue. There's a moral high ground here - the choice is yours.

Qiman
10-27-2005, 02:00 PM
Thank you gentelmen,

Wow, talk about opening can of roaches! It sounds to deep for me. I just want a good Dit Da Jow formula or Iron Palm liniment. I think I'll pass.

GeneChing
10-27-2005, 03:55 PM
...the controversy, the urine, the roaches, the legally-prohibited substances or the prepared human feces? :p

Qiman
10-28-2005, 11:38 AM
Ill go with:

F. All of the above.

Although as a Psych RN I have had plenty of experiences with all of the above.

herb ox
10-29-2005, 12:04 AM
:D

hmmm... I know what you mean! I think I have all those merit badges too...:p

salsa ox

Asmo
10-29-2005, 03:30 AM
Thank you gentelmen,

Wow, talk about opening can of roaches! It sounds to deep for me. I just want a good Dit Da Jow formula or Iron Palm liniment. I think I'll pass.

If you want good cheap iron palm liniment by making it yourself, there are quite a few webshops that sell herb packages you just need to go soak.

I'm sure this forum has quite a few tips on where to find them online, Google is your friend also =)