PDA

View Full Version : Distance To Class

Rickster
10-20-2001, 05:46 PM
Hi

I was just wondering - and it's probably been asked before - how far would you be prepared to travel, or how far do you already travel, to a MA class?

There is one about 20 miles from me which takes about 30 mins to get to, but after going a few times after work, it's turning out to be a bit of a grind :-(

Any views?

Cheers.

Rich.

MonkeySlap Too
10-21-2001, 03:42 AM
There was a two year period in my life where I traveled 1 1/2 hours each way to train with one teacher, 30 minutes each way on opposite days to train with another, and 45 minutes each way on Sundays for a third. Eventually I moved so those commutes would be shortened.

Currently, the group I train with is 45 minutes away. I meet them twice a week, and the top student(s) come over to get extra training from me twice a week. He drives 1 and 20 to get there and 45 back.

Another group I study under is two hours away. I was commuting there once a week until my situation changed. I'll get back to it when I can.

So I guess you either want it or you don't.

I am a big beleiver in luck. The more I work, the more luck I have.

joedoe
10-21-2001, 03:47 AM
Monkeyslap is right - it all comes down to how much you want it. I travel 5 minutes twice a week, and sometimes when I can get away I travel 40 minutes to my sifu's house to train.

If the training is good and you really want it, then get used to the travel :)

cxxx[]:::::::::::>
You're fu(king up my chi

Lost_Disciple
10-21-2001, 04:01 AM
Maybe I'm just weird, or Texan, but anything less than an hour each way seems "like battah".

http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/ezine/4_3/images/gk1.jpg
Just some thoughts from an ignoramus.

Godzilla
10-21-2001, 04:03 AM
I travel approximately 2 hours to New Jersey 4 times a year. 2 times to Boston a year (Dr. Yang weekend seminars). The Boston trip costs me over 400 bucks each time! Gotta love that Chin Na with Dr. Yang!

I remember walking 5 minutes to my first Dojang! That lasted almost 3 years. That was the best. Still was late sometimes.

My next school was about a 20 minute drive. Not too bad. Went there almost 5 years. (MacDojo, but that’s another story.)

Eight years later, a wife and two kids prevent me from training away from home. But I do train several times a week at home, after everyone is sleeping. Wife much prefers that although she still wants me in BED. Occasionally she makes me miss my training (he, he). And it’s always worth it!

Thing I miss the most is the sparring! Definitely has hurt my ability to fight. But I do what I can and enjoy every minute!

I say train with whom you like. Been to a few local schools to try them out. Didn’t care for the instructors. Must be me.

Godzilla

Chang Style Novice
10-21-2001, 04:12 AM
Man, I'm obviously ridiculously lucky.

My taijiquan school is about 15 minutes walk from my last (academic) class of the day. The Judo club meets on campus, right across the street from the art building (where all my classes are.)

And I like em both a lot!

I'd go a lot ****her, but only if my car rose from the dead. F@# logistics, man, I tellya...

Pointy
10-21-2001, 06:12 PM
I used to travel 1 hour to our kwoon for a year.
Now I have 15 minutes trip.

"Pain is only natures way of telling you're in terrible agony"

The Whyzyrd
10-21-2001, 06:24 PM
Takes me any where from 45 minutes to an hour and a half (depending on traffic) - 4 days a week.

"The Wolf does not regard the barking dog"

Rickster
10-21-2001, 08:39 PM
Thanks for the all the replies - seems like 30 mins isn't so bad after all...

Cheers.

Rich.

Yuen
10-21-2001, 08:44 PM
The distance to my kwoon is 8km and usually takes 15-30 minutes. Maximum distance for me could be something like 25km, because you have to notice that training is several times a week. I don't like to travel with public transport too long distances.

Robinf
10-21-2001, 09:15 PM
I actually travel 40 -60 minutes to work so I can live close to my martial arts school (7 minutes).

I guess you can tell what's really important to me.

Robin

Surrender yourself to nature and be all that you are.

Budokan
10-21-2001, 10:05 PM
We moved recently too and now I'm only 3 miles from my dojo. Nice.

K. Mark Hoover

Johnny Hot Shot
10-21-2001, 10:12 PM
I takes me 10 mins to one dojo, 15 mins to another and 5 mins to my Gym. Some people may have other opinions but I belive that the closer the Dojo the esier it is to train and the more likely you will keep training. Really who wants to drive 1.5 hours five times a week every week for the rest of your MA career?

"Life's a great adventure, mate."
Jacko Jackson

Watchman
10-21-2001, 11:32 PM
I live across the street from our kwoon.

It takes me four minutes to get to the front door - less than a minute of I sprint. :D

Of course, I relocated 350 miles from another area in order to do so.

HuangKaiVun
10-21-2001, 11:54 PM
3 hours driving.

The training alone is worth it, but the drive is nice too.