PDA

View Full Version : Freedom

PangQuan
10-27-2005, 11:31 AM
I have been thinking alot about the method my teacher has in regards to form studies.

He will show us the movements and explain the application, sometimes more than one version of the application.

From there he doesnt really pose to strict of a method. It seems he leaves it partially up to the individual to create their own interpratation, within the guidelines of the application. For instance, sometimes he will show 2 or 3 applications for a move, and some people will perform the sequence with one application in mind and others will use a different. This gives a bit of a different flavor to the form from individual to individual.

There are certainly specific ways to move for each movement in the forms. Sometimes he will be quite specific on certain movements, giving implication that "this move is like this"...

I have seen other schools, where every student does every form as close to each other as physically possible. To me this seems to restrict the "liveness" of the form, and confines it to a more rigid imitation of true personal expression within the form being performed.

I know a form itself is just a creation by another man, based on scientific priciples around the possible angles of attack and defence with specific situation in mind. But at the same time everyone moves differently, and to confine a persons movements to be so quarantined seems un natural to me.

Dont get me wrong, Sifu doenst just let people do what ever they want. Their are guidelines to our stylised forms, but at the same time he leaves us room for freedom of movement and personal expression.

No two students do a form in our school exactly the same. But they will un doubtedly do the same forms.

As far as sincronized multiple person sequences this may not be the best thing, but as far as becoming comfortable with your forms and pulling the most you can from them i think its great.

Just some thoughts I have been running around in my head.

What do you think?

MasterKiller
10-27-2005, 01:13 PM
That's why it's called Martial Arts and not Martial Sciences. There is a lot of room for individual interpretation and expression (flavor) within the confines of a style.

GeneChing
10-27-2005, 01:57 PM
I did a lot of Mil. Sci. special studies because my fencing degree came out of the military department. I almost had enough to petition for a minor, but they made special rules against special studies courses. But my point is that military martial arts training is highly uniform, and for good reason. You got to be totalitarian in the military. Can't have free thinkers in the infantry, if you know what I mean. Any school descending from a military traditions, or perhaps taught by someone who went through military training, will tend to be more restrictive. There's nothing wrong with either pedagogical strategy. To each their own, yes?

David Jamieson
10-27-2005, 02:18 PM
easy on those 50 cent words G~ there's a lotta red staters that read this forum. :D

PangQuan
10-27-2005, 02:22 PM
True that gene.

Actually I think alot of military trained fighters are some of the most deadly on the planet.

Thats thier job.

As a simpleton citizen, i really enjoy my freedom of creation and personal interpritation.

GeneChing
10-27-2005, 02:59 PM
I completely admire the military practitioners - in fact, I was under military fencing masters at the time and my kendo master was trained from ex-military police. There's this great orderliness of it. Everything has it's place. And of course, it's all about efficiency. But the familial basis of Chinese styles is what appeals to me more. I'm not saying that's better for everyone, it's just better for me. I konw a lot of people really blossom in a regimented system. You know, I just worked the Exotic Erotic near SF - there's nothing like good discipline. :eek:

PangQuan
10-27-2005, 03:09 PM
strict regimented practice has its ups and downs.

there are certainly things in my training that are such, just not a very large amount.

I think part of what appeals to me in my current training is that it seems to fit my life. I have always been a free thinker, and for the most part, have had to feel my way through life and make all of my most important decisions solo.

As my martial art is as much a part of me, as I am of it. I think this type of training suits me best.

but as you said to each his own, which, now that i think about it, actually is just a larger version of the freedom of personalized expression. Just a different scale and version of the same model i suppose. A bit of nips and tucks here and there to keep it where it should be.

There are those who will certainly excell greatly in a military fashion training program and those that wont. I guess you could say, for those that would, have found what fits them the best, and my well be worse off in a more impromptu invironment.