PDA

View Full Version : Abs with weights

IronMonkey
10-28-2005, 06:25 PM
Just a question actually.
Working abs with weights isn't good because it builds and thickens abs... is that supposed to be bad or the dude made some error...?

johnyk
10-28-2005, 06:26 PM
What dude?

IronMonkey
10-28-2005, 07:00 PM
Ok, what are some positive and negative effects of working your abs with weights?

_William_
10-28-2005, 08:14 PM
Benefits:
Increased trunk stability
Less injury prone

The importance of a strong trunk cannot be understated considering the force from the lower extremities has to transfer through the torso.

The whole trunk should be strengthened: lower back, obliques, abs. Don't just train the rectus abdominus(trunk flexors).

Negative effects:

Erm... Situps can cause the hip flexors to pull against the lumbars too much and cause hyperlordosis among other problems. So after you do situps you must stretch your hip flexors.

The abdominal muscles don't hypertrophy much because of their structure. So don't worry about that.

IronMonkey
10-28-2005, 08:30 PM
1. What is hyperlordosis?
2. You mean doing the situps with weight right?
3. What I also meant of this topic is that in some fitness e-book, the dude stated that "working the abs with weights will build and thicken them." And that was supposed to be bad, not good. So yea...

Also, can you please provide a stretch or two for hip flexors? :)

Thanks for your helpful post.

_William_
10-28-2005, 09:37 PM
1)Hyperlordosis is caused by the excess pull from the hip flexors on the lumbar spine, if the trunk flexors aren't strong enough to counteract their pull. Basically this causes a big arch in the lower back.

2)Yes but I actually find unweighted situps for high reps to be harsher on the back than lower rep weighted situps

3) He's wrong.

Heres a hip flexor stretch:
http://www.exrx.net/Stretches/HipFlexors/KneelingHipFlexor.html
Push your hips forward on this one. Hold for minimum 30 seconds.

You can also do a dynamic stretching exercise: swing your leg from front to back, under control(don't whip the leg out with force). Just move it within a comfortable range of motion and don't force it.

IronMonkey
10-29-2005, 01:23 AM
Ok thanks man. And yea, I dun do situps anyway.

Nice link, thx again. :)

IronFist
10-29-2005, 08:45 AM
The abdominal muscles don't hypertrophy much because of their structure. So don't worry about that.

What structure would that be?

_William_
10-29-2005, 03:20 PM
They are a flat sheet of muscle. I've heard it explained that because of this, the potential for hypertrophy is limited.

IronMonkey
10-29-2005, 05:22 PM
One more thing.. how do you do the stomach vaccum?

Trey
10-29-2005, 06:11 PM
The stomach vaccuum is performed by basically sucking in your midsection and trying to touch your belly button to your spine. I really like these, because you can do them everywhere and anywhere and no one will know your doing them. I tend to do them in school alot. Oh ya hold it for a certain period of time, like 30 seconds or whatever you feel comfortable with.

IronMonkey
10-29-2005, 08:19 PM
Yep thanks, I researched on it too lol. Im a start doin em often.

Chief Fox
10-29-2005, 09:34 PM
Abs with weights, YES
Abs without weights, YES

I don't like to think "abs" though, I like to think "CORE".