PDA

View Full Version : a book on sports nutrition

Oso
10-29-2005, 05:54 PM
found it in B&N but Amazon has it.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0736034048/103-0735063-5258227?v=glance&n=283155&n=507846&s=books&v=glance

and, for some reason, B&N had it priced at $12.

seems like a good one but I'm still reading about lipids

Chief Fox
10-29-2005, 09:38 PM
COOL, if you get it, I'd be interested in your opinion on it. Right now I'm reading about the Zone diet.

Mel
10-30-2005, 05:02 AM
Oso, you said you were still reading about lipids. I'd be interested in hearing what that book has to say about them.

I read this article: http://www.westonaprice.org/knowyourfats/oiling.html (and others from that site) about a year ago and it changed forever the way I look at the lipid hypothesis. Fascinating. And scary.

Oso
10-30-2005, 06:47 AM
CF, got it at B&N.

Mel, I just learned that lipid is the broadest term for fats.:)

This will be a slow read for me.

Here is the title of each chapter

General principles of Nutrition

Fuel Sources for Muscle and Exercise Metabolism

Energy

Gastric EMptying, Diegestion and Absorption

Carbohydrate

Fat

Protein and Amino Acids

Water REquirements and Fluid Balance

The Micronutrients: Vitamins and Minerals

Nutrition Supplements

Weight Management

Eating Disorders in Athletes

Nutrition and Immune Function in Athletes

Appendices:

Key concepts in Bilological Chemistry relevant to Sport Nutrician

Unit conversion tables

REcommended Daily Allowances for North AMerica

REference Nutrient intakes for the UK

REcommended Dietary Intakes for Australia

Glossary

read the larger of the two reviews on this book at Amazon, the one by the cycling coach. he summarizes it pretty well as basic textbook.

Here is the authors' statement:

"We have written this book primarily for undergraduate students of sport science, exercise physiology, and other sport-related or exercise-related degree programs."

I can't believe I got this thing new off the shelf for $12. I think it would be a good purchase even at the 40-52 dollar price IF you didn't have an intermediate understanding of the process already or other sources for the information.

ThaiMantis
10-30-2005, 11:12 AM
This http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Sports-nutrition-by-Anita-bean_W0QQitemZ8344798413QQcategoryZ23236QQcmdZView Item

is also an excellent book.

IronFist
10-30-2005, 11:57 AM
$12 vs. $55?!

IronMonkey
10-30-2005, 01:35 PM
****, 12 dollars is good! Maybe I should go to my local BN store and check it out :)

Mel
10-30-2005, 02:17 PM
Oso, thanks for the play-by-play on the chapters. I did read the write-up on Amazon. It sounds like an interesting book. I go for anything that furthers my understanding of nutrition and health--and sometimes that means taking very alternative paths.

Oso
10-31-2005, 07:00 AM
there was a sticker over the printed on bar code. i pulled it up to check the isbn numbers to see if they just used a generic to reprice the book but the isbn's matched. my guess is that it may have been a special order that wasn't picked upt and they reduced the price instead of sending it back. It's not exactly a front list title due to it's textbook like structure. i'll just count myself lucky.