PDA

View Full Version : Are Hsing-I, Ba Gua ,Tai Chi Inferior to Ba Ji/Pa Chi ????

moslem boxer
02-17-2001, 07:53 PM
Greeting's All:
First up, this is not an attempt to disrespect the practitioners of the Internal Arts, but rather to gain edification.!!!!
It is often heralded and trumpeted that Hsing-I,
Ba Gua and Tai-Chi are lethal, brutal and highly effective.
If that is the case then why were they overlooked when body guards were needed /trained for Chairman Mao Ze Dong, Chiang Kai Shek and Sun Yet Sen.
Thank you for your informative replies...
"verilly, when truth arrives all falsehood shall perish".......

Zhin
02-17-2001, 09:32 PM
Mao supposedly had a bodyguard who did bagua. Chiang Kai Shek had a bodyguard who did taiji, and one who did bagua and baji/pigua.

baji-fist
02-17-2001, 09:35 PM
Hello,

I am a bajiquan practitioner of Bajiquan/Piquazhang system as taught by GM Liu Yun Qiao. I wouldn't necessrily say that Xingiquan, Baguazhang, or Taijiquan to be inferior styles (I also study Chen Taiji and dabbled in Yin Bagua). Baji is not the only styles to be used by the imperial court. Gong Bao Tien of the Yin Bagua style guarded the Empress Dowager, Yang Lu Chan was the imperial court's martial arts instructor. As for Xingiquan, they are quitew powerful once they reach a high level. Maybe one of the reason why Baji was preferred other styles was because it has a very straight forward method in fighting and it's shortcut method to acquire fa-jing. Bajiquan takes very little time to learn compared to the other internal styles. The military needed something that can be taught to soldiers in a very little and efficient time. But then again, many of the guards did not recieve the complete training that Baji has to offer.

You must eat bitter before you can taste sweet.

count
02-17-2001, 11:14 PM
I was going to say that!

baji-boy
02-18-2001, 12:36 AM
I second count on that! :)

BTW, Richard Miller told me to say hello and give his regards to everyone in response to what you told me count, so hello to Jason Tsou and everyone! :D

Waidan
02-19-2001, 06:48 PM
Just out of curiosity how long did it take you to become proficient (for the sake of clarity, I mean capable of fighting unrehearsed using your art) in Ba Ji? I know this answer will vary greatly from person to person, but I'm just asking about your personal experiences.

baji-fist
02-19-2001, 10:24 PM
I believe within four years of study. The reason being is one most develop the necessary fa jing that is found in Bajiquan. Three years of study is dedicated to Xiao Baji, Baji's first form and also it's power training form. There are approximately 24 movements in this form that are held for 8 breaths. Each posture also are capable of doing away an opponent. Afterwards the other fist sets are learned along with the spear training.

As for my own personal experience, I am still learning. It has only been a yearand a half since I began my training in Baji. Baji is reserved only for disciples in the Wu-Tan Lineage. Also, it helps to have background in other styles before getting into Baji. Prior to my Baji training, I was studying Seven star Preying Mantis (in our lineage our mantis is very much influenced by Bajiquan), Chen Taijiquan, and Jiao Men Changquan. But I have been able to actually apply the Baji I have learned while working out with my friends who study other styles.

In Baji, the strikes are continuous and never ends. Each strike are done in a relax manner until the moment of impact. I have noticed even if one of my strikes are blocked, I am able to immediately find an opening in the defense. Ting Jing, or hearing energy is applied once you come in contact with your opponent. Baji has really opened my eyes to combat and taught me different ways of issueing power and also how to break in the opponents gates.

You must eat bitter before you can taste sweet

[This message was edited by Guo Bao-Lo on 02-20-01 at 12:40 PM.]

Waidan
02-19-2001, 11:14 PM
Thanks for your reply. Very interesting stuff!