PDA

View Full Version : Songshan Shaolin Wuseng Houbeidui

Shaolindynasty
11-01-2005, 12:25 PM
Does anyone know how I can contact this school? I've already tried the China international travel services that are advertised in KFM and got no response.

I also tried the website contact that was at the end of an article about the school written by Gene but it is unavailable.

Any help would be great

GeneChing
11-03-2005, 10:51 AM
The website seems to be down. Did you try the newer site for Dengfeng CITS (http://www.shaolinkungfutour.com/home.htm)? It's more efficient to ask for Shi Deyang's school because it actually has several names...:rolleyes:

Shaolindynasty
11-03-2005, 10:58 AM
Thanks for the info.

I have another question for you Gene or anybody else who has been to shaolin.

I am planning a trip to shaolin for me and some KF brothers of mine. They'll be there for only one week, I may stay from 6 months to a year (I'm going for the week first to see if it's somthing I want to do) Anyway what schools do you reccomend for us

GeneChing
11-03-2005, 12:52 PM
There's a tremendous selection, you know. You have our 2003 Shaolin Special (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/magazine/article.php?article=397), right? That's a good starting resource, even if it's dated two years. What are you looking for?

I'd be remiss if I didn't recommend my master's school - my master is Shi Decheng (http://www.sdcshaolin-kungfu.com/). The advantage of his school is that it's smaller and a little more intimate. It's just off the beaten track, but in easy walking distance of the new Shaolin Village area. He only has a few hundred students. The only downside is that my master travels a lot, so you might miss him, although I'm told that his teaching staff is still quite extraordinary. Also, his focus is more on traditional Shaolin forms. They offer Sanda, but it's his brother that you'd want to go to for Sanda (since he was a national champ) and his school is in Beijing. They probably offer wushu too. You could probably get private lessons there at a reasonable price.

Deyang's school is by the front gate and it's huge - thousands of students. Deyang throws his foreign students right in with his thousands of regular students. I wouldn't like that but you might. I like privates. The big three - Tagou, E-po and Xiaolong's school - all offer special programs for foreigners. Those schools also have thousands of students. Taguo has 19,000 last I heard, but is the strongest for Sanda. The other choice, IMO, would be the Shaolin Wushuguan. That one is the only one remaining in Shaolin Valley - it's pricey, but gives you great access to the mountains, temple, etc. I've heard there are programs through the temple itself, but I'm not sure about them yet. I've trained in the temple, but I wouldn't want to stay there - conditions are a little harsh and squatting over pits gets old very quickly for me.

Mr. Wang Yu Min of CITS should be able to assist you in getting into any of the five schools I've mentioned above. Feel free to mention my name and the magazine - he does give our serious readers special attention, and he's the very best at what he does. What's more, if you don't like those five choices, there are 75 more...

Shaolindynasty
11-04-2005, 11:45 AM
Thanks, I just got a reply back from him. Me and my kf brothers are going to stay at the wushu guan for the first 2 weeks. He said he could arrange my stay at deyangs school also.

Oh and yeas I have all your shaolin specials, they helped allot. Actually it was your article on deyang that got me really interested in his school. I kinda like the fact that there won't be "special" consideration for me also his focus is on traditional kungfu.

I'll look at your sifu's school and consider it also since it was another place I was interested in.

Fitdoc
11-04-2005, 12:31 PM
i just got back to the states after spending one month at Shi DeCheng's school in Deng Feng. Too much to write here, but check out my blog at http://fitdoctr.blogspot.com where i documented every single day of my living and training in Deng Feng.

Great training in traditional Shaolin gong fu.

Shaolindynasty
11-04-2005, 04:15 PM
I was also curious about what the costs should be. I was quoted some prices by CITS and they seemed a little higher than I previously heard.

Fitdoc
11-04-2005, 05:48 PM
I was also curious about what the costs should be. I was quoted some prices by CITS and they seemed a little higher than I previously heard.
I paid about $1300 for my flight to Zhengzhou, then 1.5 hour taxi ride to deng feng. Flight was from cleveland to chicago, chicago to beijing, beijing to zhengzhou. Then taxi ride (an adventure in itself, let me tell you).

The month cost at Shi DeCheng's school was $1200 USD and that was a slight discount. This included training, lodging at his school (dont expect usual facilities), and meals (mostly vegetarian, small portions).

Shaolindynasty
11-06-2005, 08:58 AM
ok the costs for train/loding/food/uniform at deyangs school is going to be $5000 for 6months and $8500 for 1 year. (still seriously considering a long stay like that)

So that sounds about right. I saw somewhere that someone was saying it should only cost between $150 to $375 per month:eek:

That must be without lodging etc.

xiao
11-06-2005, 02:21 PM
Hey ,

You can train for 300-400$ / month....including lodging, training,etc..but don't expect any luxery :D

GeneChing
11-07-2005, 12:56 PM
..of course, that assumes you have a skill worthy of trade...