PDA

View Full Version : WHF Students ????

WhiteMonkey
11-01-2005, 05:15 PM
How many of WHF, first and second grad are students are still teaching PM.

Does anyone know?

Also without sounding crude, how many are still alive???

I do know of some who have passed (rest in peace, my their students bring them glory in the afterlife)

But I'm curious to know who is still alive and teaching PM?

Thanks Again

WM

xifanghong
11-01-2005, 09:31 PM
Master Chiu Chi Man was a WHF student originally. If "1st or 2nd grad" means generations then you could go to Lee Kam Wing, I guess.

It all goes back to LGY anyway, so there shouldn't be much difference.

libingshao
11-01-2005, 10:18 PM
Master Hon chiu-wong is alive, or at least last I heard he was. He was apparently a very senior student of Wong hon-fun and wrote a book on the last 100 years of Tanglangquan history that was published in 2000. He lives on the West coast, I believe and has a copy of the "Shaolin Authentics" the book given to those chosen to carry on the system of Master Luo Guangyu. There were many graduates but I don't know how many of them were given a copy of the book, maybe someone who knows better than I can clarify.

Not my area of expertise so that is all I know from reading.

Libingshao.

grifter721
11-02-2005, 10:55 AM
Master Philipman Chow. Teaches in Toronto.

libingshao
11-03-2005, 10:32 PM
Is Sifu Phillipman Chow a disciple, a graduate or a student of WHF who now teaches?

Libingshao

libingshao
11-04-2005, 01:56 PM
WM,

I was emailed a link to Fernando Blanco's Mantis Cave, (guess I should have thought of that myself). It states that Sifu Chow was a student of WHF. I don't want to assume that the lack of mention indicates anything. But while I was there I saw that the late Sifu Brendan Lai had the following under his listing:

"Shifu Li Da Chong was certified by shifu Huang Han Xun while the latter was still alive. He received either or both of the following two items :
1. A graduation certificate from shifu Huang Han Xun school
2. A calligraphy scroll handwritten by shifu Huang Han Xun."

It did not mention the Shaolin Authentics but it is clear that he was certified to teach. Maybe some of Sifu Chow's students could fill in the blanks.

Libingshao

WhiteMonkey
11-04-2005, 10:39 PM
Chow Chi Fung aka Philipman Chow

Born around 1936, shifu Chow Chi Fung started training when he was six years old, he was student of shifu Huang Han Xun in the 40's, a contemporary to shifu Chung Ho Yin.

Chung Ho Yin

Chung Ho Yin (c) / Chung Jong Chong / Cheung Ho Yin / Chen Jun Wah.
Student of Huang Han Xun, graduated in the first graduate class in 1952, finishing his course.
Shifu Chen Meng Huan was certified by shifu Huang Han Xun while the latter was still alive. He received either or both of the following two items :
1. A graduation certificate from shifu Huang Han Xun school
2. A calligraphy scroll handwritten by shifu Huang Han Xun.

Some info from the mantis cave

libingshao
11-05-2005, 08:21 AM
WM,

It seems that there is a forumula to Mr. Blanco's listings then. CHun Ho Yin and Li Da Chong have the same listing. As Phillipman Chow does not, it would seem that, though he is definately a long time student of WHF he was not a graduate. Not that this detracts from the apparently decades long work Sifu Chow has given to the art or his expertise. I personally believe that students together would learn the same thing in a class, especially with an examination process such as WHF apparently had. It was mearly a matter of note as you were asking about grads.

Thank you for pointing out that consistency in Mr. Blanco's listings.

Now I am curious about, among the graduates, who may have the book Shaolin Authentics, the historical mark of a disciple under Luo Guangyu. Apparently Mr. Hon chiu-wong does. I wonder about others because this book, according to legend, given to Master Fan on a visit to Shaolin. Bound to be good stuff in it!

Libingshao

-N-
11-05-2005, 10:09 AM
Guys, don't read so much into the Mantis Cave information. It is not the last word on all things Mantis, although there definately is a ton of good information there, and I refer to it frequently.

Fernando had started collecting information in the old days of Mantis online. This information was taken at face value from a wide variety of sources; Usenet newsgroups, mailing list information, forum posts, private communications etc. I even see some information from some of my ancient rec.martial.arts posts on there. I know of some things on MC that have been corrected over time, and other things that have not.

Just because something is or isn't in the MC is not necessarily of significance.

Those that want to know about Sifu Chow can find a respectul way to contact him and ask. Otherwise, it will be too easy to repeat misinformation. This is one way kf politics gets perpetuated. We don't need any more of that stuff!

best to all,
N.

loki
11-05-2005, 01:21 PM
Chiu Chi Man was never a student of Won Hon Fun

maxiaoyao
11-06-2005, 01:34 AM
loki,

Obviously there is some dissagreement here about whether Master Chiu Chi Man was a WHF student originally.

Would you care to ellaborate on your previous post? - Maybe provide some facts or material or other evidence to support you claim...

Thanks in advance

MXY

LawClansman
11-06-2005, 03:10 PM
maxiaoyao,

I believe it is you that need to provide your facts. Chiu Chi Man was a disciple of Law Gwong Yuk. Never Wong Hon Fun. You can go to the Mantis cave for his history or go to my website when it goes back up in a couple of weeks. Although it has been up for the last 8 years with the complete history of the Chiu Chi man clan as anyone else on this board can tell you.

Chiu Chi Man was my grandmaster. I have been in this system since 1957. I have been to Wong Hon Fun's school and Chiu Chi Man's school when They were still alive and teaching. There has never been any question that they were both Law gwong Yuk's students as were many others at the Hong Kong Jing Mo. You can email me anytime for more info at

lawclansman@gmail.com

Greetings to the rest of the forum,
As I just mentioned , my site is down for updates. I have recieved many emails requesting certian things been added. I have taken all of your requests into consideration and thank you all for your imput. The site should be up around the 15th of this month.

http://www.7starmantis.com

All the best

maxiaoyao
11-07-2005, 02:29 AM
Sifu Carl, many thanks for your information. It has been respectfully received.

Concerning Mantis Cave, there are previous posts addressing this. Though currently http://www.7starmantis.com is not accessible, I'm sure there is a wealth of information there.

Concerning the request to Loki, this could easily go out to xifanghong as well (maybe it still can), though since Loki chose to disagree with xifanghong's statement, the request was directed to him...

Please forgive my ignorance to lineages and the like - There was purely a discrepancy that needed (needs) to be addressed, something which obviously anyone else on this board was unwilling to mention :)

Respectfully,

MXY

loki
11-07-2005, 05:50 PM
MXY,

Sorry my previous reply was so brief. I figured this was something that didn't need any elaboration as it is common knowledge. Anyway, my SIFU has clarified it for you so there's no need for me to add anything else.