PDA

View Full Version : Learning To Relax

J-hon
11-02-2005, 09:28 PM
I was hoping someone could help me out here.... I study Southern Praying Mantis and I'm supposed to be very relaxed... but I just cant get there. I've always been a very tense person. So, now I'm looking for a way to just relax my body. I don't want to (can't afford to) take tai chi classes and really I just want something basic to work on. I was thinking maybe a good instructional dvd or book or website.

Any ideas?

J-Hon

SPJ
11-02-2005, 10:34 PM
Actually look inside of you instead of resorting to outside help.

Relax the mind first. A stroll in the park. A piece of music. A glass of milk.---

I always like to take a walk on the beach. The breeze, sea gulls, blue sky and waves always relax me. I like to watch the stars and the moon at nite.

We are so tiny and even not existent compared with the vastness of the universe.

Forget about ourself and be part of the nature or universe.

No memories. No emotions. No lingering thoughts. Just observe the nature and be aware of things around you.

Then take your mind back to focus on your breathing.

I usually do some Qi Gong. Inhale and exhale. Just enjoy all the O2 in your expanding lung. Exhale all the waste gas.

Do some light stretching around all joints and tendons/ligaments.

Then set you up for your training.

I usually do the forms or moves slowly initially. The more relaxed you are, the more smoothness in the transition of postures.

Do not use your mind to hurry your body. Let your body flow with the moves.

Your mind and eyes may follow the lead hand.

---

:)

cam
11-02-2005, 11:23 PM
You will need help to do this exercise.
Extend one or both arms out in front of you, careful to keep a slight bend at the elbows. Have a friend hold your arm(s) and let him take all the weight so if he were to suddenly let go, your arms would fall limply to your sides.
It's not as simple as it sounds, at least not for me. It will force you to relax!

YongChun
11-04-2005, 06:19 PM
Another Idea is to do pushing hands with a partner and use as much force as possible. Be really tense. Now slowly back off from there. For example make a very tight fist and then loosen it.

I think some people are more tightly strung and need lots of stretching exercises before relaxation is possible.

There is physical tenseness and there is mental tenseness. Stretching probably helps the physical problem and meditation the mental problem.

Ray

imperialtaichi
11-04-2005, 06:19 PM
No memories. No emotions. No lingering thoughts. Just observe the nature and be aware of things around you.

Well said!

Read up on Takuan Soho "The mysterious record of immovable wisdom". Just search for it under Google.

Cheers,
John

Chief Fox
11-08-2005, 12:55 PM
I have a hard time relaxing as well. Try meditation: http://www.urbandharma.org/udharma4/mpe.html