PDA

View Full Version : Test your skill: NYC THROWDOWN Nov. 13

Ray Pina
11-03-2005, 09:14 AM
Organizing a Throwdown for Nov. 13 in Mind-town Manhattan, 3 blocks from Penn. Station.

This is not sparring (though you could arrange that with guys who show up) but a test of your fighting ability against other martial artists using light, MMA gloves. There is no ring or cage, wide open space, and we only ask that you respect the tap.

fiercest tiger
11-03-2005, 10:09 PM
Is there any Matts?

Is there any insurance for injuries?

ft

Ray Pina
11-04-2005, 06:56 AM
There's mats but I'm kind of against them .... they have nice, soft wood floors.

Guys last time wanted to use them and they caused a problem. The guy was happy throwign strikes but as soon as I jumped on them he turned and ran off the mats. I made it clear, this is not sport, there is no mat or designated area.

As for insurance against injuries: that's kind of a thought I don't think about going into a fight ... that I'm going to get injured. You skill should be insurance policy No. 1.

After that, they make you sign a waver to participate ... don't know if their insurance covers you.

fiercest tiger
11-04-2005, 07:46 AM
Ray,

Maybe you wont be saying that if you get a broken jaw, knocked out teeth, eye damage or spine injuries? Is it absolutely the only way for you to test your skill or cant you go into a thai boxing, UFC, PRIDE match where they have great fighters and controlled conditions?

I understand you wanting to prove your art, but sometimes things dont work out like they should and YOU may get very badly hurt!?

Maybe you dont think so but things do happen thats all! Anyway if i lived in N.Y i would come check it all out and maybe have a crack at ya. :) How old are you RAY?

FT

Ray Pina
11-04-2005, 08:59 AM
I know I can get hurt. The tricky thing has been finishing fights as quickly and agressively as I can without hurting the other guy too bad. For instance, when they shoot and give me their head ... I'm trained to seize it and crank it. Can't do that. But if fighting in a real venue with insurance and doctors I could express myself fully.

I'm actually speaking to my master tonight about a ring fight I'd like to take next month if its not too late.

Until then, or as I prepare for the cage next year, I'll keep doing this type of thing because it keeps me sharp. I like the hypersensitivity of my mind and soul when I'm fighting with no gear and no rules. My goal is to be able to conjure this type of mind for a fight in a ring, with gloves and head gear, a ref to stop it. To go in looking for a kill, not a point.

As for injuries. I never think about them, though I know if I'm going to lose I'm going to be hurt, because I just won't roll over. It will take me getting opened up, and broken something for me to say, "OK, that's enough .... tap, tap."

But I've broken ribs surfing, opened my head up surfing. Sometimes you can get hurt doing what you like to do -- take mountain biking. I know a guy who sepreated his shoulder twice and now has a high-powerd phone to call for help when in the deep woods.

To me, that's crazy. And for someone to break my spine! Man, that guy would have to control my like a rag doll and I just don't see it. Or train myself not to see that happening going into a fight.

You just can't think that way before a fight. You think about winning. Let the Tao handle everything else.

fiercest tiger
11-05-2005, 12:40 AM
Hahaha i know the feeling ive been cut up 3 times surfing myself. Well anyway good luck to you and its good you are having a go for the CMA in the NHB. It does take some Balls to get in to the ring and fight. I competed back in the early 80's in kickboxing and full contact Kung fu, but fighting has changed alot in regards to Competition rules. So now we have take downs, ground and pound which is cool if you are good for the ground.

What is E Chuan stand for by the way? Not I or Yi chuan right?

FT

Ray Pina
11-07-2005, 07:14 AM
E =

Evolution
Easy
Energy