PDA

View Full Version : Training at Wudang Taoist Kung Fu Academy?

kayzen
11-03-2005, 02:39 PM
Hi Y'all,

In my quest to find a reputable kung fu school in China I came across Wudang kung fu. This style appears to be quite interesting and the location itself in the Wudang mountains seems beyond breathtaking. However, I'm not sure if this particular style, let alone this school, is right for me.

I understand that Wudang kung fu is an internal style and the only ''hard/external'' forms come from the cultivation of one's Chi. However, from what I understand the strengthening of one's chi is considered ''hard'' due to its immense power, regardless if it is invisible to a subtle eye. Gene, the Associate Publisher of Kung Fu Magazine wrote an amazing and detailed article on Mt. Wudang, which was crucial in my decision to look beyond Deng Feng and Shaolin.

While I have much respect for soft styles I also have a sincere interest in finding a style that combines both elements of wholeness-a happy marriage of external forms for practical defense purposes and inner development such as breathing/meditation.

I enjoy the fast and powerful kicks/punches/aerobics/5 animal defense forms found in traditional Shaolin gong fu. Unfortunately I've found that almost all kung fu schools in China only teach modern Wushu. This is what lead me to look into other styles such as Wudang.

From what I have read thus far it appears that Wudang kung fu in general focuses mainly on inner/softness styles such as taiji, and the external Northern styles with powerful and fast kicks/punches like Shaolin Gong Fu are not a part of Wudang kung fu. Boxing and taiji seem to be the staples of wudang without much emphasis on practical defense moves. If I'm wrong then please correct me:D

Does anyone know if wudang has any forms that are very similar to Shaolin gong fu or other external styles?

I'm considering going to Wudang Taoist Kung Fu Academy for training so has anyone ever trained there or knows of someone who has?

What's interesting is I tried to find other Wudang schools but it seems the only one that advertises heavily on the web is this school. I have heard there are over 8 kung fu schools in MT. Wudang but I cannot find any info on these other schools. If anyone knows of another school in this area please let me know:)

Thanks for all your help:o

Best,

Lara

viper
11-03-2005, 07:59 PM
maybe with this thread you should post it in the general kung fu forum might get some more hits. My advice just because it doesnt look hard doesnt mean it cant kik @ss.

chud
11-03-2005, 10:17 PM
Unfortunately I've found that almost all kung fu schools in China only teach modern Wushu.

Hello Lara, it is unfortunate that China has lost what it was once the mother of...great kung fu. You might find more authentic kung fu if you moved to any other country BUT China. It's sad to say that, but this is the legacy (or lack of one) that the government has left its people. The loss of tradition is a tragic thing.

Good luck to you though.