PDA

View Full Version : Baguazhang: John Bracy and Hsing Chen

wujidude
02-12-2001, 12:00 AM
Does anyone have any experience with, or opinion about, the skill and teaching of John Bracy in martial arts, and baguazhang in particular? He co-authored a 1999 book on baguazhang with his teacher, Liu Xing-han (who passed away in Beijing last year). It's an interesting book, with a blend of history, discussion of qi, description of a circle-walking "inner palms" qigong routine, and some two-person training and applications routines.

I've heard that Mr. Bracy's xingyiquan skill is well-regarded. How extensively he studied bagua with Liu, I don't know. Mr. Liu was in his 80s then, and his group was in the habit of offering "indoor disciple" certificates after just a few days of training because of the prestige (and I suppose the dollars) that accompanied having foreigners as students.

wujidude
02-12-2001, 12:05 AM
Regardless of the significance of an "indoor disciple" certificate, the actual training experience is what matters. It's clear to me that Bracy had contact with senior students in the Liu Xing-han group, from whom he could have learned much. I don't know what ongoing contacts Hsing Chen has with the Liu group in China.

Waidan
02-12-2001, 01:35 AM
Hey there,

I've been studying at Hsing Chen for about a year now. I don't learn directly from Srfu Bracy, but I train privately with one of his senior students. I study Bagua, but the school also offers instruction in xingyi, Taiji, Taoist Yoga, and a couple other subjects.

Having only had brief contact with Bracy I can't really comment on his form, but I will say there is a strong emphasis on combative application, and the school's focus is primarily on Bagua. His senior students are capable fighters, and the school stresses a lot of deep stepping drills and legwork.

If you're looking for any specific info about the school or the arts taught there, feel free to post and I'll do my best to answer :)

neijiachuan
02-12-2001, 06:33 AM
I personally know one of his Senior students who know teaches strictly Hsing-I. He trained with Bracey exclusively. I can hook you up with his email address if you like. Let me know if I can help. I study Xingyiquan and have more experience in this style than the other Neijia styles which I also train in. This guy I know is extremely talented and highly skilled in this style. Something you may want to look into.

you can contact me at intellectualfist@hotmail.com

wujidude
02-12-2001, 07:03 AM
Thanks, guys. It's enough for me that you've found John Bracy to have at least some practical emphasis in his teaching.