PDA

View Full Version : Penetrating Hammer

Judge Pen
11-04-2005, 08:04 AM
Do any of you guys practice a mantis form that is translated into something similiar to "Penetrating Hammer?" We have a form by that name (I haven't learned it so I don't know its origins) and I was curious to see if any other schools teach this form. Thanks.

GermanMantis
11-04-2005, 09:10 AM
Hi Judge Pen,

do you mean the "插捶" Chaap Cheui / Cha Chui? Could be translated as "Piercing strike" or "Piercing Hammer Fist". Yes we do practice this form. It has some longfist influence and a lot of jumps and hammerfists in it.
Hope that helps.
GM

Judge Pen
11-04-2005, 09:14 AM
Great. Thank-you for your input, it sounds like the same form. Any idea if there's a vid of it out there?

Chief Fox
11-04-2005, 09:25 AM
That sounds like a great form. I love the hammer fist.

sean_stonehart
11-04-2005, 09:25 AM
Seven Star version of it...

http://www.northernmantis.com/tsahpchoy.html

Judge Pen
11-04-2005, 09:32 AM
Seven Star version of it...

http://www.northernmantis.com/tsahpchoy.html

Thanks. I should rely upon my kung-fu research connection.

yu shan
11-04-2005, 10:38 AM
As usual Sean_Stonehart comes thru... thanks alot.

Could be wrong, but I think this is the form Steve Cottrell demonstrated for Master Shr when he was in Florida. (Anniversary for Ponglai school)

Oso
11-04-2005, 10:45 AM
I could be wrong but I thought Sifu Carl Albright had pics of his chop choy on his websight but I just looked and it's down.

is it the same form, JP?

that mantis form on the Atlanta SD website sucks ass, it would be nice to see if they had a real mantis set. not a jab at you or SD. just saying.

When I first met the Bob, he told me your sifu had just taught a mantis seminar at his school. do you know what form he might have taught?

Judge Pen
11-04-2005, 11:37 AM
I could be wrong but I thought Sifu Carl Albright had pics of his chop choy on his websight but I just looked and it's down.

is it the same form, JP?

that mantis form on the Atlanta SD website sucks ass, it would be nice to see if they had a real mantis set. not a jab at you or SD. just saying.

When I first met the Bob, he told me your sifu had just taught a mantis seminar at his school. do you know what form he might have taught?

Well, I've only seen the form, so I don't know for certain, but it appears to be the same with some differences.

We supposedly have a lot of mantis. The Atl video is of Tang Lang Chien (which is a generic name). I've seen it played a lot better than the ATlanta version, but I don't know the form to really comment more than that. We also have versions of BungBo and White Ape Steals the Peach but I don't have our versions of those. I've seen our version of Steals the Peach and it is a version of the same form that I was taught in Nashville, with some major differences. It still has 4 roads and the signature moves, but it is missing some of the nuiances that were in the version that Jake taught (which I still want to work back up with a video ;) ).

The mantis form that I have is very small and basic (that was probably the form taught at this seminar--Tang Lang Tse Ju). I'll work it up and show it to you next time I'm down your way. It has some good technique, but the footwork is more Tam Tui than mantis.

sean_stonehart
11-04-2005, 11:45 AM
As usual Sean_Stonehart comes thru... thanks alot.

No problem but you give me too much credit. I just remember things & from time to time, it comes in handy.:D

Judge Pen
11-04-2005, 12:31 PM
not a jab at you or SD. just saying.

Nah, not taken as such. SD is what it is. It's also what I do. I appreciate anyone calling it as they see it.

libingshao
11-04-2005, 01:42 PM
Judge Pen,

As I have heard, Cha Chui Quan was created by Wang Rongsheng, (teacher of Master Fan Xudong). He lived from mid 1800's to early 1900's I think.

For a video of this set, you can purchase one of Al Cheng, (John Funk's teacher), on http://www.secretsoftheorient.com/secretsoftheorient/Praying%20Mantis.htm

Anyway that is all I have on this set.

Libingshao

El Tejon
11-06-2005, 08:58 AM
Hi, Judge Pen, I'm Seven Star PM in Al Cheng's line (Jon Funk->Dwight Edwards->us knuckleheads). We call it "Piercing Hammer" in English. It is our 3rd level form and usually the 4th or 5th form we learn (we learn non-"required" stuff on the side so to speak).

Like all long fisty PM forms (Four Routes, etc.) it is very aerobic and a great burn. A great challenge is the beginning of the 2nd line, getting those quick half steps and strikes continual; a hard road for me at least. Actually I also had problems with the receding on the first line, learning to extend and use body power when fading back, it was like learning a "reverse gear."

As well, watch that ling side!:D Have to be quick on those continual kicks (I speak from experience--wear a cup).:p

This is us: http://www.kung-fu.addr.com