PDA

View Full Version : Bragging - so hot right now

Toby
11-04-2005, 09:51 AM
In line with my reputation as a braggard, I pulled a PR today. 396.83lb == 2 x bodyweight. I've always wanted to crack the magical 400lb. Next time it's mine. DL has been feeling really good lately and today was no exception. Good form, no curved back, straight up with no worries. Now I've just gotta increase squats. Bench is going well too. I think it was at 286lb at few cycles back? Or maybe 292lb? I haven't tried for a PR for a while. Seems my bodyweight is at a pretty good level for me right now, although I'm carrying much more fat than I'd like. At least I've reached the 1000lb powerlifting total that I always wanted to reach. Back on the creatine again as of 4 days ago. I stopped for a month this time.</end random blogging stuff>

IronFist
11-04-2005, 11:05 AM
Nice job, dude.

My turn.

<brag>

I just got the vids of my powerlifting meet (waaaaay back in March) hosted at anabolicextreme.com. Unfortunately, that site has been down for maintenance for like a week now (changing forum software or something), but I was gonna post them when I had time. It's me DLing 325lbs @ 161lbs (3 pounds over double bw w00t) and doing 18 full range pullups. Not like I would have to specify that my pullups are full range, but one time my friend said he could do more pullups than me and then I watched him go down about half way and bounce all over the place and I'm like dude, those don't count :p"

I think I've only deadlifted about twice since then :(

But I'm back to doing squats to try and add some quad size.

</brag>

fa_jing
11-04-2005, 04:24 PM
I just pulled 405 a couple nights ago w/out a belt for the first time, and without peaking. I couldn't repeat it, but I feel I could hit it during any random workout, which is nice. Also, no undue soreness afterwards. I recently lost some weight unintentionally and weigh 195 now. Squat seems to have backslid just a bit, but then again I focused on it for perhaps too long, several months.

Bench has gone down over the last 6-10 months, strangely. But that moves pretty quickly when I focus on it. To a point, at least.

_William_
11-04-2005, 05:08 PM
Congratulations on the PRs everyone!

IronFist
11-04-2005, 05:53 PM
You guys are strong. Nice work.

chaiwai
11-05-2005, 11:40 AM
Speaking of bragging,
I was walking down the street the other day.
I was passing a Caravan. It look pretty light for a mini van , so I decided to lift.
Of coarse, I am not stupid, I was not going to go over to a van and lift it.
Instead I came over to a nearby mazda and did a few reps instead. Now I was totally warmed up. I banged about 20 shoulder presses with the wan.
Next morning I was a little sore, but that's because I did not stretch properly after the mini vann presses.
:D

IronFist
11-05-2005, 03:37 PM
^ Actually, this one time, some smaller car, like a Chevy Cavalier or something was blocking this other guy's car in, so we picked it up and moved it. I think there were 4 of us. We didn't pick the whole car up, but we picked up the back and swung it out of the way. I felt fvcking cool that day. "Yeah man, we just picked some guys car and moved it." w00t.

Toby
11-05-2005, 07:26 PM
^ You can move a car fairly easily by bouncing it on it's springs.

Ford Prefect
11-07-2005, 09:05 AM
Nice work guys. All my maxes have plummetted rather far. The only thing I could do over 300 lbs now if probably DL. **** you gymnastics! ;) I'm slowly working my way back up though. I'm trying something fun with my pull-ups which left me feeling pretty sore for my first time in ages after pull-ups. I'm doing a 613 tempo. I can get about 10 or for my first set, but then after that it goes down considerably. I'm happy I work out at home. What an ego crusher!

Oso
11-07-2005, 10:13 AM
"613 tempo"

as in

6 up
1 pause
3 down

or do I have that backwards?

good job everyone.

fa_jing
11-07-2005, 12:03 PM
Yeah, I'm getting alot of comments

re: deadlift -- 1. man, be careful with that! 2. What's that for?

re: squat -- You need to get a belt!

Ford Prefect
11-07-2005, 12:56 PM
"613 tempo"

as in

6 up
1 pause
3 down

or do I have that backwards?

good job everyone.

Backwards... 6 down; 1 pause on bottom; 3 up

Chief Fox
11-07-2005, 03:51 PM
Yeah, I'm getting alot of comments

re: deadlift -- 1. man, be careful with that! 2. What's that for?

re: squat -- You need to get a belt!
"Squating is bad for your knees" :rolleyes: I've gotten this one before.

IronFist
11-07-2005, 04:01 PM
I can get about 10 or for my first set, but then after that it goes down considerably.

That seems to be the trend with me for everything. Stupid years of low rep training ;) I'll do like 15 or 12 or something on my first set, I'll be feeling awesome, and then on my next set I'll hit failure at like 6. Then, if I try a 3rd set, I'll fail at around 4. I'm like wtf? I'm especially bad with this on biceps curls.

Oso
11-07-2005, 07:00 PM
Backwards... 6 down; 1 pause on bottom; 3 up

gotcha, thanks.

Ford Prefect
11-08-2005, 06:47 PM
Pffft. Bicep curls... That's what you get, sissy. :p

IronFist
11-08-2005, 07:07 PM
Yeah. I can do pullups all day, I can do weighted pullups for half the day, and I can do a 1 armed pullup once a day, but the moment I try biceps curls with some girly-ass 25lb dumbells my biceps are like "hell no, we're not doing this s.hit."

Or, maybe I just have trouble because I use a full ROM when I do curls. Maybe I should try using 45lb dumbells and go from all the way up to 2/3 of the way up and back again for my ROM. Then I could probably get more reps.

Except all the people who do it that way have way bigger arms than me.

Maybe having s.hitty form DOES make you big. :eek:

Ford Prefect
11-09-2005, 05:39 AM
haha! I hear ya. Because of the whole bb'ing experiement, I'm doing curls for the first time in years. I loaded 95 lbs on the barbell and could eek out all of 4 with good form. Last time I did curls regularly, I was doing sets of 10 with 135! But man, all my maxes really have gone done. That gymnastics experiement was a BIG mistake. I have a kick ass advanced tuck planche now... yay. :(

rubthebuddha
11-09-2005, 08:08 PM
ford's street cred < sevenstar's street cred

:D

Ford Prefect
11-10-2005, 08:59 AM
You will pay for that. Oh yes. You will pay.

IronFist
11-10-2005, 04:45 PM
I get the biggest front shoulder pump from biceps curls. I hate it. Even when I do DB curls on a recline bench. Even when I use an arm blaster belt. Even when I do preacher curls, which I don't like, because all the tension runs out in the top half of the movement (and coincidentally all the frat boys only do the top half of this movement). We have one machine at my gym where your arms go on a horizontal preacher bench and you do curls (it's a machine, remember, so the fact that this wouldn't work with free weights due to gravity doesn't come into play), and if I use that, and I consciously push DOWN with my elbows as hard as I can, I can sometimes keep my front delts out of it. Think of this as the same principle as Janda situps, but for biceps. By actively flexing my rear delts, it should force my front delts to relax.

Now, I know that front delts are supposed to come into play a bit in biceps curls, but when I finish a set (with strict form, no less), and I have a huge delt pump and my arms are tiny and look like toothpics stuck in an orange (the arm coming out of the shoulder), I get p.issed.

I must have really messed up neural pathways or something.

Then again, I get a huge front delt pump from flat bench, too. And squats. And situps. That's why I have big ass strong shoulders and I never do shoulder movements.

chaiwai
11-12-2005, 09:11 AM
OK, you guys lost me.