PDA

View Full Version : Martial Art Styles

aikido_student4
11-04-2005, 05:00 PM
Hey,

I've been a student of martial arts for ten years and am currently enroled in aikido and was in tae kwon do (please excuse me for any spelling mistakes) about two or three years ago, which are the only two styles I've been in, but i was wondering what everyone's favorite style was and wondered what I should try to learn next. Thank you to any one who helps me out or even post any thing under this.

Dim Wit Mak
11-04-2005, 06:44 PM
AS4: Here is my one and a half cents. Study whatever interests you. Martial arts are supposed to be fun as well as deadly serious. There is a good chance they will never by used in a fight anyway, unless you are training for the UFC. My own tastes run in the direction of kenpo, jujitsu, and the various kung fu styles. My son studies aikido. If you like the instructor and the style, then you are in a winning situation. Too much advice can lead to paralysis by analysis, so listen to others for awhile, make up your own mind and go for it.:)

aikido_student4
11-04-2005, 07:34 PM
Thank you, I truely appreciate your guidence and all that you taught me even to you if it doesn't seem like much to me it was.

Dim Wit Mak
11-04-2005, 08:04 PM
You are welcome. You sound like a very dedicated student of the martial arts. I have always respected a person who puts diligent effort into any undertaking. You may know that the term kung fu can be translated as diligent effort. God bless.:)

SPJ
11-05-2005, 07:59 AM
TKD is Iron palm in Korean.

Aikido is a derivative from JJJ.

One is for punch and kick. The other is for yielding and throw.

Try to blend the 2 first.

Sometimes the answers are from looking inside first rather than looking outward or elsewhere.

:rolleyes:

SPJ
11-05-2005, 08:07 AM
Q. How many styles are there in Kung Fu?

A. There are 7 colors in the rainbow.

hint: there can be many varieties from mixing the colors.

Q. What is your fav style?

A. It depends.

1. A bigger, and faster opponent. Tai Chi yield and rediret. Ba Gua avoiding and counterattack body and step methods.

2. A equal size and skilled opponent. Tong Bei to go long and extend far. As If I have longer arms and more power from extended back.

3. a smaller and slower opponent. Ba Ji to run over him like a bulldozer or raging bull.

4. At will, Tan Tui to kick the pulps out of a tree. Shuai Jiao to throw in 7 meat and 8 veggie flavors or Qi Fun Ba Su.

edit: this post is intended to entertain.

:D

Ultimatewingchun
11-05-2005, 08:19 AM
as4:

Welcome!

Here's my advice. Study whatever seems to make the most realistic sense - if you ever have to fight for real on the street. And more often than not, this will depend upon the instructor more than what particular style(s) he teaches.

aikido_student4
11-05-2005, 09:21 PM
Thank you to everyone who has helped me by posting their opinions for me and showing me certian things i needed to see. Thanks again.

ShaolinTiger00
11-05-2005, 11:32 PM
Something that actually works?

welcome to the forum turd.

Wong Fei Hong
11-06-2005, 08:53 AM
aikido student 4 i think one of the things that would be most appropriate for you, is to learn about all the different styles, to do marrtial arts for 10 years and be blind to other styles is quite shocking in my eyes. Unless you have practised it as a sport and thus never felt the need to look into martial arts.
I think buying various books, looking on the net at various styles , is one of the most important things to do, not only from the viewpoint of what ELSE should i learn, maybe you dont need to change style, but its definately important to know what else is out there, how other people apporoach training, their methodologies , punches blocks kicks concepts etc.
If nothing else because theres so much great stuff out there its a shame to be oblivious to it.

aikido_student4
11-06-2005, 12:28 PM
ShaolinTiger00,

I have no clue where your statementis coming from so please explain cause right now you seem like the turd in this situation.

godzillakungfu
11-06-2005, 01:03 PM
Learn next?

I would say find a good style and train. If you start bouncing around you will never get good.

That whole"jack of all trades, Master of none."

Royal Dragon
11-06-2005, 01:13 PM
That whole"jack of all trades, Master of none."

Reply]
Many of those guys are the best figters though.

ShaolinTiger00
11-06-2005, 04:35 PM
ShaolinTiger00,

I have no clue where your statementis coming from so please explain cause right now you seem like the turd in this situation.

Ignorance is bliss.. I apologize. Please continue with your chi cultivation and your deep search for the ultimate art.

aikido_student4
11-06-2005, 05:01 PM
thank you Shaolin Tiger00 for apologizing and I respect you for that

Mr Punch
11-07-2005, 05:14 AM
Get while the getting's good AS4...

Shaolin Tiger is being extremely sarcastic in his apology in case you'd missed it.

He believes aikido has no worth for anyone... and it seems he thinks the same about TKD.

Some of us on the other hand, who have been taught aiki by LEOs and used it in sparring and on the street (and have had this argument with ST00 and his ilk countless times...!) can see that it has worth, depending on experience of course.

Even if the school sucked in its martial application of course ST00 is ignoring the fact that a lot of people practise MA for reasons other than purely effectiveness, and is obviously snide about any feeling of spiritual wellbeing MA may give to their practitioners.

Fair enough. That's his opinion. This is a public forum, and you don't need to lose sleep over it. If ST00 does choose to enlighten you on his opinion, it is usually worth it... but like I said, it's his opinion!

As for the topic... look at your goals in studying MA. Are you wanting to just collect belts, collect techs, become efficient in self-defence, a cage champion, calm spiritul flatulence, leap tall buildings in one bound...?!:D

As everyone said, check out the available teachers and schools and see if they fit with your goals. If you don't have any goals, continuing aikido would seem perfect...!:p :D

Slade
11-07-2005, 05:34 AM
Basicly do whatever you want too, dont worry if it works or not, once do a few martial arts you'll be able to deal with nearly any untrained guy in the street without much effort at all. from then have fun learn the stuff which you want to.

When I first started martial arts it was mainly for self defence puroposes, now that I realise thats a big bunch of horse poop, since i can get myself out of nearly any fight by words alone, I study arts merely for fun. I find combat based arts more fun, never really enjoyed wushu as much as other people did. For example people say pushhands isnt useful in a fight, and they are right to a degree, the whole thing isnt useful but parts of it is at certain times in a fight, as long as you like it, even if they dont always train realisticly who gives a flaming hoot. Ultimatly its about your personal satisfaction that you are doing something you love doing.

Kung fu its not just a way of fighting its a way of life.

ShaolinTiger00
11-07-2005, 07:42 AM
thank you Shaolin Tiger00 for apologizing and I respect you for that

Anytime Sir.

*rei*

SPJ
11-07-2005, 08:36 AM
underlying principles, tactics and stretagy.

if you have a core concept from above, you then may pick and choose whatever you need from one or several styles.

You may not need to learn the whole system of one style or more than one style.

Or you just need to learn the very basic moves of a style.

In the end, whatever works the best for you and your physical attributes is your style.

:)

Dim Wit Mak
11-08-2005, 06:14 PM
underlying principles, tactics and stretagy.

if you have a core concept from above, you then may pick and choose whatever you need from one or several styles.

You may not need to learn the whole system of one style or more than one style.

Or you just need to learn the very basic moves of a style.

In the end, whatever works the best for you and your physical attributes is your style.

:)

Very wise council. Sometimes you will see this expressed as doctrine, strategy, and tactics. Some would criticize this as "smorgasboard" martial arts, but I see much truth in it.