PDA

View Full Version : Intermural san shou

Sifu Darkfist
11-05-2005, 05:28 PM
Hello all i would like to discuss the possibilities of san shou practice between Chinese Martial Arts schools any schools interested? how do other teachers feel about this? I know my students could use the practice.

mantid1
11-05-2005, 07:50 PM
I think it is a good idea.

Other than the possibility of egos I can think of one problem that could arise.

My school practices the san shou because I feel they need the full contact experience with the low kicks, throws and ground work. Combined with some basic grappling it is more like a "real" fight. But most of my students do it for fun. Many only do the class D which does not allow head shots.

We do not train for competition. So If an instructor is training for hard core competition it may not be beneficial for the hard core school to work with a school like mine.

Other than that if everyone is on the same page it sounds like a good idea.

mantis108
11-05-2005, 09:02 PM
I believe sparring is a tool no more no less. We believe in integrating high percentage techniques against a fully resistive opponent in a relatively safe testing ground. That’s the philosophy behind our sparring practice in a nut shell.

Protective gears are minimal. Light contact matches are done without gloves, mouth guards or cups. Medium to full contact will require gloves, mouth guards, cups and/or helmets. Experienced referee is always present. We do want our combatants to be able to go to work in one piece the next day. So their safety is the priority.

Mats are generally used for novice and intermediate level sparring. Advanced sparring would be on flat grounds such as the carpeted concrete floor as seen in my previous clip.

We also have 2 different formats of sparring but not San Shou (the sport) format and rules.

1) 3 rounds of 5 minutes and all tools and ranges goes (stand up, clinch and ground)

2) 3 rounds of 3-5 minutes all and with different tools and ranges.
a. 1 round of striking and kicking only
b. 1 round of striking, kicking, clinching and takedowns only
c. 1 round of all of the above and ground fighting.

Our goal is to breach the old thinking that Kung Fu stylist should only spar Kung Fu stylist (preferably of the same style) in order to appreciate what is considered as “pure” Kung Fu techniques. There is no reason that Kung Fu cannot adapt to different fighting formats in our view. We have sparred with Taekwondo based art, Karate, German Jujitsu, and wrestling. It's all good and it's all fun. :)

some tips for our sparring formats.

Goal – either knock out or submission

Strategy –
1. Launch highly disciplined attacks
2. simple and direct approach without showboating.
3. Taking the least resistive path
4. taking the opponent out of his game,

Tactics – positional dominance

Techniques - (high % finishing moves)
1. Rearmount (top or bottom) & Rear naked choke
2. straight armbar
3. guillotine (standing or from the guard)

Mantis108

PS I can relate to Mantid1's student base as well.

Sifu Darkfist
11-06-2005, 08:45 AM
i believe it is most important for the student to learn to play by the rules of the house regardless of style.

Even though my guys want to compete the students i teach that want to spar / compete are relatively new however are highly monitored and intensively trained. i bring no egos my philosophy is you must fight better fighters in order to learn, and there is no such thing as the best.

You guys have frameworks that we could work within, seeing how we all do Northern mantis as well as other styles we can benefit from each other tremendously.

Besides i dont think that a guy should have to pay 50 bucks every time he wants to spar outside of his school.