PDA

View Full Version : Cold Front Equals Increased Pain

Qiman
11-06-2005, 10:54 AM
Ok, when we get a cold front my chronic back pain increases about 60%. My Grandmother used to tell me she could tell it was going to rain because of her arthritic hands. I think the falling barometer causes increased pressure in synovial fluid, connective tissue and muscles. After about two days things seem to stabalize even if the rain continues.

What is the TCM theory around this phenomenon? Also, what is the treatment of choice, would one treat it like inflamation/swelling? I would like to hear some input, we have long winters in N. Califorina.:(

herb ox
11-07-2005, 11:11 PM
Sounds like Wind Cold Bi pain to me... but I'm not making a diagnosis or anything, here. Some thoughts:

Keep your kidneys warm - cold kidneys may lead to back and bone pain.

Your seasonal experience is typical for arthritis sufferers the world over. In fact, my local weather webpage has an 'arthritis scale' - basically, they've figured out some forumula that they can use to calculate how bad your arthritis is 'expected' to be that day. While there are certainly some peculiar psychosomatic issues that may arise with such a scale, it represents a large enough poplulation experiencing similar results to warrant the effort required to design and implement such a device.

moxibustion or even a warm showerhead directed over your lower back may ease the pain as well.

Any of the TCM folk out there have any suggestions?

herb ox

Rhapsody Rain
11-08-2005, 04:05 AM
Living with a chronic condition such as arthritis is a challenge.
There are many resources for people living with arthritis.
Try a google search for the arthritis foundation. It might be .org?
They also offer free classes at most hospitals which can be very informative.
There are over 100 types of arthritis.
It's important to know which type you have.
Identifying which one or ones you have will help you to know which remedies will be helpful.
Resting, a good diet, alternating heat/cold packs can all be very helpful.
Natural remedies can go a long way to help arthritis!
I remember my grandmother "predicting" the weather, and watching her suffer.
It is very important to know how much to do, when to rest, and when to exercise.
I hope this helps.

TenTigers
11-08-2005, 08:45 AM
not to hijack the thread or anything but when you mentioned cold packs, it reminded me of something my OL , who's dit-da skillz are extraordianary said. I asked her if she ever uses ice.
She said, "Sure. If I don't like the person!" :D

herb ox
11-08-2005, 08:58 AM
Right...

I'm not very fond of ice packs either - especially in a lower back pain situation excacerbated by the cold. I'd go with a hot-water bottle instead.

peace

ox

vikinggoddess
11-08-2005, 06:23 PM
Ok, when we get a cold front my chronic back pain increases about 60%. My Grandmother used to tell me she could tell it was going to rain because of her arthritic hands. I think the falling barometer causes increased pressure in synovial fluid, connective tissue and muscles. After about two days things seem to stabalize even if the rain continues.

What is the TCM theory around this phenomenon? Also, what is the treatment of choice, would one treat it like inflamation/swelling? I would like to hear some input, we have long winters in N. Califorina.:(

If the pain is worse with rain, then this is damp painful obstruction. Can be like a cold-damp painful obstruction also. I get the ache in my hips in the damp weather.