PDA

View Full Version : Hung jay pang staff form of CLF

kup choi
11-07-2005, 12:26 PM
Does anybody know anything about this form? Is it in anybodie's lineage?

CLFNole
11-07-2005, 12:57 PM
I know this set (I am from the Lee Koon Hung line) and I know quite a few other lines have it as well such as Chan Kin Man (HK & China) and Edmund Ng (England).

It is a sheung tow kwun or double end staff set.

Peace.

Mano Mano
11-07-2005, 01:11 PM
If you are from sifu Edmund Ng's school in Newcastle the form is called Hang Jeh Pang, travel person staff or Pilgrim staff.
There's a story about your sifu's sigung Chan Hon Hung fighting some nationalist soldiers with some of the forms techniques.

CLFNole
11-07-2005, 01:38 PM
It is funny about the translation of the set. Some translate it to monks staff/monks pilgremage staff and others as monkey king staff. Hung gar (although a different form) uses the monkey king staff translation but some CLF people use it as well.

I think the monk translation makes more sence.

Mano Mano
11-07-2005, 02:24 PM
As Hang Jeh can be used to describe a monk on a pilgrimage. I like to stick to the reference to Monkey king in the old Chinese novel The Journey to the West. In the novel Wu-kung the Monkey King, is also known as Shun Hang-Jeh “Pilgrim Shun”.

CLFNole
11-07-2005, 02:55 PM
So are you saying that the Monkey King was on a pilgrimage? Is hung jeh referring the the monkey king himself or the monk that was traveling with him?

Mano Mano
11-08-2005, 09:53 AM
I was told by one of my CLF brethren who is Chinese speaker and has been involved in CMA Hung Gar, CLF & San Sao since child hook in Singapore that Hang Jeh translates as a person who travels or Pilgrim.
I not sure if pilgrim refers to the Monkey King or Xuang-Zang (Tripitaka) but both were on the pilgrimage.

kup choi
11-08-2005, 01:22 PM
Yeh, i actually know it as Pilgram staff, but have seen it translated to monky staff, (thats why i asked) cheers for the response.
I've heard the story about fighting the solidiers with it aswell, good stuff

Shaolindynasty
11-09-2005, 09:29 AM
we have this set and call it monkey king staff.