PDA

View Full Version : Thai Equipment: What do you recommend?

YongChun
11-07-2005, 03:32 PM
For those who also do some Thai stuff, what do you recommend for:

1. Pads - e.g. http://store.titleboxing.com/tp.html
2. Videos that teach pad training methods

If nothing else, a three minute pad workout is very excellent for fitness. A three minute grappling match is good too if you do a lot of stuff as opposed to lying there for three minutes.

Ray

Sifu Darkfist
11-07-2005, 04:49 PM
on my links page is a good place almost all equip from thailand it is the mcs link. good stuff

Don J
11-08-2005, 08:38 AM
Hello, some good pads to work with are Vut Kamnark's brand , Fairtex is good as well well made and very sturdy can take alot of punishment through the years.
As for videos i realy wouldnt recommend learning through the videos for pad training , theres a difference between a good feeder and a bad one. I would recommend checking out a thai gym around you if you can. Its just like trying to learn chi sao through videos theres a feel to it. Good pad holders know how to work the hitters , inexperienced ones just stand and hold.

Good training

stricker
11-08-2005, 06:22 PM
I dunno if you can get any good videos on it i dont think muay thai's really set up that way, its not bjj! the way ive learned is from working the pads myself for a few weeks then start holding them. The more you work them youself the more combos and coaching tips you pick up from the better guys. The really good guys its almost like sparring with the pad man kicking and punching and not just going through calling out combos, although you still have to do that. For mma you can throw in takedowns and sprawls, and work them on the ground with bits of groundwork too. Thai padwork rocks! five minute rounds are a killer :eek: :D

oh yeah i recommend going for the proper thai stuff like twins or thaismai, stuff like that. if you go for the cheaper stuff be careful, some of its alright some of it isnt. the real thai pads feel much better to really beat the cr*p out of :D

SevenStar
11-10-2005, 01:13 PM
windy
twins
thaismai
ringside

fairtex has good gear, but the shipping is usually really slow.

As for vids, you can go to ringside.com and check out their vid "mastering the mitts" There are other vids around the web as well. When using mitts, just drill in combinations... jab, hook, cross. jab, lead hook, cross. double jab, cross, uppercut, rear bodyhook...

eventually, you want to get to a point where you can work evasion into the picture. Then, you want to get to a point of spontaneity where you give him a feed and he hits it. Any combo he wants for as long as he's being shown the feed.