PDA

View Full Version : Time spent practicing in a day

liangZhiCheng
02-13-2001, 02:48 AM
I'm curious as to how much time people spend practicing martial arts everday, given time constraints such as school and work. I myself practice about 2 and a half hours a day now, which will increase to 3 hours next week when I've finished learning the wu taiji form.

Daniel Madar
02-13-2001, 04:33 AM
I'm currently on sabattical but when I'm going, I'm at 3 hours a day.

doug maverick
02-13-2001, 09:30 PM
i train about six hours a day 2 in the morning before school 2 after school and 2 before bed its hard but it's worth it

liangZhiCheng
02-13-2001, 11:24 PM
Hey Black tiger, just curious, what martial art style do you study?

Sincerity, knowledge
Liang Zhi Cheng

mhhar
02-14-2001, 03:19 PM
Time is not everything! How about the focus and quality of practice?

liangZhiCheng
02-14-2001, 04:10 PM
I definitely agree, but I don't think it'll do you much good if you're extremely focused for two minutes a day on martial arts. Moral of the story-practice using what time you can find, but make sure that the practice isn't just a routine, focus and explore each time you practice

Sincerity, knowledge
Liang Zhi Cheng

HuangKaiVun
02-14-2001, 08:33 PM
No, being extremely focused for two minutes a day can do wonders for one's martial arts ability.

I am constantly training in that I'm always working on my speed, agility, strength, mind, etc. even while doing "everyday" activities.

Kung fu training shouldn't be limited to one's practice sessions.

doug maverick
02-14-2001, 08:50 PM
i studied dragon claw kung fu under larry lu,
i've studied hung gar, black tiger, and 5 animals,
now i'm studing pa kua and xing yi. been training for almost all my life...

let the warrior seek his own path

liangZhiCheng
02-14-2001, 10:35 PM
I definitely agree, martial arts is a lifestyle-it should be a part of everything you do. I agree my post seemed one sided.

Sincerity, knowledge
Liang Zhi Cheng

PlasticSquirrel
02-15-2001, 12:21 AM
i was wondering-- how do you divide up your time during practice?

liangZhiCheng
02-15-2001, 04:53 AM
Personally, I just practice the wu taiji form six times in a row after some warm up exercises. If I had more time, there's a whole lot of things I'd do like post standing (zhan zhuang), meditation, etc. But don't forget that everyday actions can be training as well. For instance, walk fast. In order to keep up your pace, you have to be able to react quickly, weaving through and around, and sometimes be able to stop quickly. I try to make my movements as efficient as possible whenever I move. When I cross the street, I use my intuition to tell me when it's safe to cross (but of course, I look both ways just to make sure :) When you're standing somewhere, practice rooting. The list potentially goes on and on. Remember, find the joy in the simple

Sincerity, knowledge
Liang Zhi Cheng

neijiachuan
02-19-2001, 05:05 AM
I follow the training regime my teacher has suggested me to follow:

Start with Qigong.
Standing Post for about 30 minutes a day.
Silk Reeling Exercises, 40 minutes.
An hour of form practice.
Do the form three times, then hold the form...each posture about 5 breaths, then do the form again a couple of times to cool down.

I've noticed that this net results pretty fast. I try to do more of everything when I have the time.

neijiachuan

brucelee2
02-19-2001, 03:32 PM
I am overcoming a major training hurdle today. For some time now some of the senior students have been training near me 5 mornings a week before they go to work. I don't work that early and have never been able to drag myself out of bed to train with them- but today I woke up early and I'm leaving shortly- I WILL NEVER BE THE SAME AGAIN