PDA

View Full Version : First injury in school

Oso
11-09-2005, 08:45 AM
Had a woman break a bone in her hand Saturday. Classic boxer's break, albeit just a hairline fracture, of the metacarpal on the ring finger of her right hand.

Kinda sucks, first major thing to happen in 4 1/2 years.:(

-N-
11-09-2005, 09:37 AM
Oso,

Forearm smash, forearm smash.

Sorry to hear.

N.

Oso
11-09-2005, 09:52 AM
actually, it didn't happen from a punch.

she was trying to seal my arm with one hand and punch me with the other but jammed her finger straight into my forearm...it make a 'crack' sound but when I checked it there was no dislocation or major break visible. Told her to ice it and elevate it and tape the last three fingers together. She called me later in the day to say it was still hurting pretty bad so I told her she probably needed to see a doctor and she did.

sucks, she's been a great student but is kinda shook up about this. Hopefully I and her brother's and sister's can keep her spirits and motivation to keep training positive.

David Jamieson
11-09-2005, 10:16 AM
What's life without a little salt?

It's difficult to train in martial arts without at some point sustaining an injury of some sort.

*looks at mishapen finger*

-N-
11-09-2005, 10:17 AM
Poor gal.

Well, one of my classmates used his hand injury as an opportunity to develop a really really vicious reverse mantis claw strike :)

best wishes,
N.

Judge Pen
11-09-2005, 12:02 PM
That stinks man. Injuries are part of it, but it's worse when its a student. I subbed for my teacher one class and some kid rolled his ankle pretty good. His mother was very upset about it. It was a fine line between I'm sorry and sh!t happens.

Oso
11-09-2005, 12:23 PM
yea, she's just like 21/22 and has a lot of potential. she was getting ready for her first tourney this weekend and was going to do light contact sparring and forms. Just talked to her and will try and get her to still do the form cuz she looks pretty tight doing it. she was in good spirits about it and laughed when I told her how hardcore she would look stepping out with a splint on her arm. ;)

yu shan
11-09-2005, 12:45 PM
Not a bad track record there Oso. I`m really surprised my group`s stayed healthy for so long. (knocks on wood)

Tournament this weekend? Git er done.

Judge Pen
11-09-2005, 12:55 PM
Git er done.

Careful there Jim. Your 'Tennessee' is showing.

yu shan
11-09-2005, 02:47 PM
LOL I hear ya JP! Peeps back home in the sunshine state can catch the twang.

mantis108
11-09-2005, 05:40 PM
Sorry to hear that. I can relate to that. I have a female student who suffered 2 injuries. One on the shin and the other on the foot. Both didn't happened in my class though (thank God). She ended up having surgery. Before that she did pretty well and learn some 2 men forms from me too. Despite the pain she still come to do Kung Fu. But we have to catch up on the time lost due to her recovery period. I guess my point is the if there is a will there is a way. BTW, women in general handle pain better than men; otherwise, they won't have badies. ;)

:D

Warm regards

Mantis108

Oso
11-10-2005, 07:59 AM
Thanks, Robert.

This one doesn't handle pain so well. And, the more I talk to her the more I feel there is something in her past that makes it hard for her to handle pain/injury. And something like THAT is waaaay out of the scope of being a kung fu teacher.

still, I think I got her spirits up a bit yesterday. I Just realized that the usual 'suck it up'/'eat bitter' sort of commentary wasn't appropriate with this one.

EarthDragon
11-10-2005, 08:53 AM
Horrible story about the first 911 call in my kwon. I was teaching a large group of students a foundation leg sweep where you catch a kick with the arm plam the chest and sweep the foundation leg and slam your partner to the mat.

Well as always I stress to breath out forcfully upon impact with the ground forgetting that one of my students is hearing impaired and didnt realize I said breah out! my fault totally...... well he hit the mat and held his breath which cased the inside of his lungs to bruise form teh compression. NOT GOOD... knock on wood that has bee to the only injury to date....

Merryprankster
11-10-2005, 08:57 AM
And something like THAT is waaaay out of the scope of being a kung fu teacher.

Thank god you say this. So many people think that being an MA instructor makes them qualified to advise you about everything from your love life to your taxes.

And worse, many people believe they are.

One of the things my wife used to hate at an old Kenpo school she trained at was that instead of getting an answer to her question, she often got "Life according to Sifu."

She told me she kept thinking "dude, I asked how to correct 'x', not for advice on living from a philandering ex-cop."

Oso
11-10-2005, 09:43 AM
it's a big pet peeve of mine as well...i've ranted about it before on other threads.

Knowledge in on area doesn't mean knowledge in another.

and it's true for all 'styles' as you mention a karate teacher doing the same thing.

funny, I wonder if anyone has done a study on the syndrome.

it affects everyone actually...I run into it everyday where I have highly degreed
educators trying to tell me how to manage the facility services here at work.

fa_jing
11-10-2005, 10:16 AM
In my TKD class I got the same hairline fracture breaking a board with a hammer fist, believe it or not. I also fractured a toe, f'd up my knee, got kicked in the nuts, slipped and fell and fractured my wrist. All that in 18 months.

-N-
11-10-2005, 10:27 AM
Torn ACL/MCL from waist cutting throw. Be careful with that one.

N.

Oso
11-10-2005, 11:12 AM
i guess i've been lucky.

got two hernia's my senior year in HS probably related to a groin pull that year in wrestling.

broke the outer two metacarpals AND dislocated them from the wrist of the right hand in 98 by punching a makiwara board mounted on a concrete block wall pretty hard.

other than that, just the shoulder getting ready to get operated on but that has been more long term degradation versus a specific injury.

Shaolinlueb
11-11-2005, 01:28 PM
that stinks man. but no matter how careful you are there is an injury that will pop up.

Oso
11-11-2005, 06:21 PM
well, she came in tonight for the last tournament training class before tomorrow's tourney. She does indeed just have a greenstick fracture.

The doctor told her that her finger was now twisted a little and if she didn't want it to be twisted forever she was going to need to have surgery.

:confused:

not that I'm a doctor or even pretend to know all there is about sports injury but I looked at her hand right after and about 30 minutes after and there wasn't even any bruising or swelling at 30 minutes and certainly not a 'twist'.

anyway, the doctor's prognosis just added to her apprehension about the whole thing.

she's not even going to travel with us tomorrow. I didn't say anything but the rest of the team was trying to get her to go telling her that she should go so she could see what a tourney was like and then she would have a better idea before we go to the next one in Feb. She muttered some excuses but that's all they really sounded like.

I'm definitely disappointed. She's come on a lot since she started 6 months ago.
She looks better at the form she was going to do than more senior students and has been sparring like a demon. I don't get it except for what I've already mentioned about there being something unusual about her reaction to this situation. I was hoping she was going to suck it up but she's not.

bung bo
11-11-2005, 07:23 PM
That really sucks, duder. It will probably heal alright since it isn't an irregular shaped bone. Tell her it's important to use herbal supplements(blood builders, anti-inflammation, bone & sinew building, etc.) to help the healing. Jin gu die shang wan REALLY helps. One of my buddies broke the same bone in his wrist that I did a year before I did. I have 70-85% more range of motion than he does. Actually, I've done a lot of research on this broken bones crap, so if you or she need any advice, just holler at me.

Good luck with your operation. I hope everything goes well. We're all pulling for you here in Nashville.

Oso
11-15-2005, 03:24 PM
ok, this doesn't sound right.

the woman's ortho has decided, today, 10 days after the break, that he's gonna operate and put pins in to 'stabilize' (her words) her finger.

Hasn't the bone already started to calcify and set at this point?

I know I'm not a doctor but I smell a doctor taking advantage of a situation. I've seen my share of broken hands (including my own which was a greenstick break of the pinkie and ring finger which also dislocated them from the wrist. All he did then was numb it, push the bones back into place on the wrist and splint it.) but have never seen this minor a break call for this sort of treatment.

As i said above, I looked at her hand immediately after the incident and again 30-45 minutes later and then again 3 days later. Her hand didn't look broken at any point.

Any input from a medical pro is welcomed.

I'm certainly not going to tell her I think her ortho might be taking things a bit far but this doesn't sound necessary to me. And it's totally played into her fear of getting injured.