PDA

View Full Version : My Sifu doesn't speak english very well

JaguarWarrior
11-10-2005, 08:33 PM
Hi, I'm new to the forum, I've browsed the forum here and there, but I'll probably spend a fair amount of time here now.(break time at work.)

I am a Canadian living in South Korea teaching English. I came across a great kung fu teacher, the only catch is his English is not very strong. I try to teach him all I can but communication outside of training is hard. (IE asking him more detailed questions.) I've been training just 2 months now but I train 5 days a week and just finished the first short form yesterday. It's great because if I come at the right time he teaches me one on one.(which can also be harder on my body because he pushes me to perfection harder, but I love it and have the drive to improve.)

I know that the style is Praying Mantis, but I don't know exactly which type. I've asked before but was unable to communicate with him properly. He has taught me all the names of things in Chinese, but I wrote them down the way they sound, not according to there proper translated spelling.

The form I do is called "So ban chaw"

The 8 basic stance I know are:
1) "dune san shik" the arrow
2)"ki ma shik" the horse
3)"tan shik"
4)"tak shik"
5)"orrim shik"
6)"dap shik"
7)"woo shik"
8)"wa shik"

The 7 kicks I practice every day are:
1)"u teh"
2)"yo um guk"
3)"bo in teh"
4)"mo me guk"
5)"pa yun teh"
6)"one ung guc"
7)"peng doong teh"

I also do a punching drill called "il bo sam kwan", I know il means 1 and sam means 3, so I think it means "3 single punches" or something like that. Because that is what I'm essentially doing.

I know my sifu also knows some taichi, and I seen a book on his shelf that said taiji kung fu, so I wonder is my style is Northern Praying Mantis, Taichi style.

Any thoughts?

Gowgee
11-10-2005, 10:10 PM
Yes. Don't be lazy, learn your teacher's language - Korean.

Seriously. :D

Also, ask him to write down the names of forms and techniques in Chinese characters for your reference too.

Have fun!

JaguarWarrior
11-10-2005, 10:19 PM
I should have noted that I am currently learning Korean, but my Korean is still worse than his English, so that doesn't help either. I suppose at some point we will be able to communicate better, I was just curious if any of the hardcores here might know based on the info I gave.

But I should get the actual Chinese characters as you mentioned, I guess that's what I'll have to do, and then perhaps use an online translator to figure it all out.

-N-
11-10-2005, 11:31 PM
1) "dune san shik" the arrow - climb mountain stance/bow and arrow stance
2)"ki ma shik" the horse - ride horse stance
3)"tan shik" ?
4)"tak shik" ?
5)"orrim shik" ?
6)"dap shik" ?
7)"woo shik" ?
8)"wa shik" ?

"il bo sam kwan" - 1 step 3 punches

N.

JaguarWarrior
11-11-2005, 12:09 AM
1) "dune san shik" the arrow - climb mountain stance/bow and arrow stance
2)"ki ma shik" the horse - ride horse stance

"il bo sam kwan" - 1 step 3 punches

Yes these sound accurate, the later one uses those first 2 stances. Step, stance one with left leg forward, right punch, change to stance 2 and left punch, then change to stance 1 again and right punch with a slight forward lunge. Then it starts over with a new step and sides reversed.

3)"tan shik" - stomp one foot and put other foot forward, heel on floor with toes pointed up.
4)"tak shik" one leg straight, the other bent, arm from straight leg side of you body straight covering crotch, other arm straight up, face straight leg.

Does anyone know of any links to pictures showing mantis stances that I could look at? I'm really trying to find out everything about my style that I can.