PDA

View Full Version : Has anybody in here ever actually used Yang Cheng-fu Taiji in a real fight before?

Chris McKinley
04-25-2001, 06:35 AM
And if so, what EXACTLY did you do?

Ma_Xu_Zha
04-25-2001, 09:29 PM
after we were done from rolling on the ground and getting up and he was still on ground i was in the punch down position just giving the guy some punishing blows. it wasnt pretty seeing the damage i did with the pictures in court. especially the shoe print i left on his forehead.

Mr. Nemo
04-25-2001, 09:36 PM
I used it in sparring, does that count?

As to what I did, whenever they punched I just tried to step in and ward off. If I warded off with my opposite hand, I'd try to throw them with part the horse's mane. If I warded off with my inside hand, I'd use either lady works shuttle or fan through the back.

All I tried to do was step in with peng no matter what they did, or if they didn't do anything, and then find a place to push them. If you saw it, it would probably just look like a bunch of shoving on my part. But it worked, sometimes against people that had been taking martial arts much longer than I had.

The closest I've ever had to a streetfight was when some guy started shoving me. I used something like the opening movement of the form followed by a two-handed push and he fell right over.

TheBigToad
04-25-2001, 10:54 PM
I've used "single whip" to break their balance and cause injury to their shoulder followed with "sweep the lotus" to place them hard and flat on their back.

Chris McKinley
04-26-2001, 07:10 AM
Ma Xu Zha, that's all neato and stuff, but where did the YCf Taiji come into play? That's why I asked what EXACTLY did you do?

Mr. Nemo...no, that does NOT count. That's why I mentioned "real fight". Besides, with due respect, if you looked like you were just having a shoving match, it doesn't sound much like p'eng anyway. P'eng should either redirect his incoming force to allow you to counterstrike in such a way that his balance is taken, or it should be used more offensively to take his balance directly. Neither use should result in his being able to continue the shoving match, since he ought to be off-balanced from the first contact.

Your use of the opening movement followed by a shove might arguably count as Taiji, giving you the benefit of the doubt, but you must also admit that it sounds suspiciously close to a simple external shoving match movement.

Kevin, that's the kind of response I was looking for. Actual, discernable Yang Cheng-fu Taiji technique being applied, as it is taught, in a real fight.

Mr. Nemo
04-26-2001, 07:53 AM
"Mr. Nemo...no, that does NOT count. That's why I mentioned "real fight". Besides, with due respect, if you looked like you were just having a shoving match, it doesn't sound much like p'eng anyway. P'eng should either redirect his incoming force to allow you to counterstrike in such a way that his balance is taken, or it should be used more offensively to take his balance directly. Neither use should result in his being able to continue the shoving match, since he ought to be off-balanced from the first contact."

That's what I did - the first p'eng unbalanced him, and the push pushed him over. When it worked, that is. It may not have always worked perfectly, but I used something I learned in tai chi training to put someone on their back. And it probably was external, since at the time it happened, I'd only been started learning tai chi about five months before.

Why are you asking this question?

Ma_Xu_Zha
04-27-2001, 01:47 PM
when i fought i never thought of what i will use after the fight and looking back i realize what postures i ended up using, punch down, and a fa jing solo da lu method taught by my yang teacher.