PDA

View Full Version : New Online Clip

Demi @ CSPT
11-13-2005, 10:05 AM
We just put up a new online clip. It's three minutes long.

http://www.demibarbito.com/new_video.html

The empty hands vs knife DVD is almost ready. This one is the best yet.

Demi
www.DemiBarbito.com

Mega_Fist
11-15-2005, 03:38 PM
Traditional martial arts can be used in self defence-

"Wei Xiao Tang was walking through town when he saw several Koreans attacking a Chinese merchant. Wei intervened to help the Chinese man and in the fight he defeated several opponents, who after that run after Wei around town. A Korean newspaper told Wei Xiao Tang had fought with about 50 men and had killed several" Mantis Cave

GunnedDownAtrocity
12-10-2005, 03:43 PM
the immediate attack on other styles opens the material up to much more scrutiny than normal.

and on that level it looks like a bunch of big guys playing hard ass. it could definatley be much much more than that ... but im just not seeing it from that video.

Mega_Fist
12-12-2005, 02:45 AM
What an absolute azs. Someone with traditional training should go whoop his azs. Someone like Ashida Kim could teach him a thing or two.

Anarchangel
12-12-2005, 05:44 AM
Mega Fist, how many years ago exactly did that story you told take place?????

How can you guys scrutinise this DVD already? The guy was just introducing it, not showing techniques yet. Maybe you should reserve judgement until you actually see it!

Yes, I don't totally agree that traditional MA can't be used on the street. The problem is they can't be used in the way they are taught in 99% of schools. It's the TEACHING, not the ART. However, Demi clearly has interesting stuff to teach, so is worth listening to. Only when you have experienced a system can you disregard it.

Mark.

David Jamieson
12-12-2005, 07:44 AM
Didn't really listen to the audio.

Thought the stuff shown wasn't much special, more same old same old I guess.

No opinion, would have to see more to come to any sort of stance about it.

If it was stated that martial arts from the traditional venues can't be used, then I think that is in and of itself incorrect and is coming from a point of not knowing.

Mega_Fist
12-13-2005, 04:44 AM
Mega Fist, how many years ago exactly did that story you told take place?????

How can you guys scrutinise this DVD already? The guy was just introducing it, not showing techniques yet. Maybe you should reserve judgement until you actually see it!

Yes, I don't totally agree that traditional MA can't be used on the street. The problem is they can't be used in the way they are taught in 99% of schools. It's the TEACHING, not the ART. However, Demi clearly has interesting stuff to teach, so is worth listening to. Only when you have experienced a system can you disregard it.

Mark.

I suppose you're right, he has a really good point about monopoly money- I've changed my mind.

Also, I really like the bit where he talks about this man who speaks English (and not Spanish); he then learns Spanish and goes on a trip to Mexico where he stays at a hotel. One night in the hotel there is a fire and he gets out of his bed and shouts "fire" which is in English.

I also like the part where he talks about a law school opening in a small town which is far away from Harvard.

That made me realise that traditional martial arts (like Hung Gar/Mantis/Bagua/Shaolin) are worse than the Lethal Force Institute's "C.S.P.T."

I really like the move when it shows two fat men with no hair vaguely punching towards each other- that was sweet.

I take back all that I said before- I reckon Demi Barbito would be way better than Dong Hai Chuan or Wong Fei Hung in a fight.

GunnedDownAtrocity
12-13-2005, 07:25 AM
haha ... 0wn3l) uR f4c3!!!!! (http://www.picpop.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10538/baby-punching.JPG)

JaguarWarrior
12-14-2005, 06:29 PM
It looks like he's going to get his side sliced or kidney stabbed here.

GreenCloudCLF
01-06-2006, 02:53 PM
Krav Maga talks about being developed in a time of war, as does the F.I.G.H.T. system. What kind of real life experience is brought to the table from Demi?

Oh, and I like how he beats up on the old guy.

Taiji-Rory
01-20-2006, 06:15 AM
I always tend to think that these types of system are just made to generate revenue, all though I'm sure the system works okay, the idea that a traditional martial art can't be applied to real life situations is spurious, I mean I know I've said this before but you are at the end of the day fighting normal people, I find the way people these days tend say the words 'street fight' with a sought of reverence odd, Their is of course a difference between those who study for sport and those who study to know their art, but street fighting is often made out to be some big terrifying ordeal the fact is most people don't know how to fight or are drunk when they do, so theirs very little to fear... Obviously weapons are an issue but if you train hard, you can slowly chip away at the risk...

Jun Fan
02-14-2006, 06:32 AM
Hey Demi, I just noticed you're in Paso Robles. I love that town. Some friends of my family used to live there a few years back. That is a really beautiful part of the state. If I ever moved back to Cali I would definitely want to live in that area.

P.S. You're full of ****! Judging by that clip I'd say your "system" is nothing but the same old same old. By the way, your statement about traditional MA being useless in the real world was classic. I've got $50 that says my Shifu would whoop your excessively tattooed ass.

WOW
03-03-2006, 10:40 AM
he has made some good points.

when attacked attack back and slaughter the guy first.
fight only to protect
better to be prepared

technique wise I guess it is a mixture of grappling, boxing, etc. nothing particularly inventive.

the knife training is so and so. there is very little you can do when someone has knife but run!

traditional ma does work otherwise it wouldn't have survived this long. also, TMA has been tested thoughout its history may be less so in the modern age. sure, lots of teaching done these days are about forms and sets. your mind set is vital if you hesitate then your lights will go out!

Mr Punch
03-04-2006, 05:28 AM
LOL Mega Fist :D

That first knife stuff was a ****ing crock of ****.

Oops. Was that a bit harsh?

Sorry, but somebody advancing holding the knife up and letting you bend down with some bs two-handed grab with your body right in front of it at arm's length, is going to get you killed. No look at controlling the knife-hand, moving your body out the way on the way in to wrapping and attacking the assailant. I've seen more realistic aikido knife defences :p At least they get your body out the way and then back into a range where you can wrap it.

CaptinPickAxe
03-11-2006, 10:29 PM
You got stabbed a few times there, pal.

Also, I like the slap to the face and run away...f@ckin' classic!

HAHAHAHAHA-NO!

SevenStar
03-15-2006, 02:07 PM
Hey Demi, I just noticed you're in Paso Robles. I love that town. Some friends of my family used to live there a few years back. That is a really beautiful part of the state. If I ever moved back to Cali I would definitely want to live in that area.

P.S. You're full of ****! Judging by that clip I'd say your "system" is nothing but the same old same old. By the way, your statement about traditional MA being useless in the real world was classic. I've got $50 that says my Shifu would whoop your excessively tattooed ass.

realistically, people from traditional styles get owned all the time. We've all seen it happen. a guy from my old longfist school was getting beaten in a bar, and controlled the situation when he started using his high school wrestling. I've seen karate and tkd black belts get dominated by untrained guys in street fights. But on the same token, two of the best fighters I know are a karate and tkd guy. It's all in the training methods.

SevenStar
03-15-2006, 02:21 PM
traditional ma does work otherwise it wouldn't have survived this long. also, TMA has been tested thoughout its history may be less so in the modern age. sure, lots of teaching done these days are about forms and sets. your mind set is vital if you hesitate then your lights will go out!

I have always hated both of these arguments. tae bo has been going strong for about 15 years now, it must be effective in the street too, right? I mean, it IS based on ma...

The most popular ma on the planet right now (and has been for years) is TKD - a sport that is less than 100 years old. judo is probably second. - another sport, less than 200 years old.

most people don't train for the sole purpose of fighting or learning to defend themselves. they want to get in shape - without using a treadmill, find an activity for the family to do, simply learn more about another culture, etc. The arts have survived because people have wanted them around for some miscellaneous reason - not simply because it's effective.

tma has been tested... no, really it hasn't. those practitioners have been tested. When I compete, I'm not testing muay thai, nor was I testing judo, longfist or anything else I've trained. I was testing ME. Those practitioners were being tested as well. the fact that they fought and lived noes not lend credibility to the idea that you are good. they can't test something for you...

SevenStar
03-15-2006, 02:42 PM
I've said this before but you are at the end of the day fighting normal people, I find the way people these days tend say the words 'street fight' with a sought of reverence odd, Their is of course a difference between those who study for sport and those who study to know their art, but street fighting is often made out to be some big terrifying ordeal the fact is most people don't know how to fight or are drunk when they do, so theirs very little to fear... Obviously weapons are an issue but if you train hard, you can slowly chip away at the risk...

The smart MA will not just blanketly assume these things.

1. street fighting CAN be terrifying
2. not everyone on the street is untrained
3. unless you are at a bar, then the chances are slim that your opponent will be drunk.

WOW
03-16-2006, 03:01 AM
tma has been tested... no, really it hasn't. those practitioners have been tested. When I compete, I'm not testing muay thai, nor was I testing judo, longfist or anything else I've trained. I was testing ME. Those practitioners were being tested as well. the fact that they fought and lived noes not lend credibility to the idea that you are good. they can't test something for you...

Sure, its always about the individual! :) Why would it be anything else :confused: But, if you don't use your training and use something else, then why not do that something else.

Tested in time - in HK back in 70's students looking for new schools/systems didn't just pay a fee, they would challenge the instructor and only joined if they were convincingly beaten. The instructor would normally allow the new student/challenger to pick from his senior students. A duel would follow if the challenger won then existing students would leave the school. The challenger looses would join the school and introduce others. Challengers would have studied a previous system before.

I guess most schools today don't train their students to fight nor do most students want to train to fight. Self defense may be their aim.

Jun Fan
03-16-2006, 01:31 PM
realistically, people from traditional styles get owned all the time. We've all seen it happen. a guy from my old longfist school was getting beaten in a bar, and controlled the situation when he started using his high school wrestling. I've seen karate and tkd black belts get dominated by untrained guys in street fights. But on the same token, two of the best fighters I know are a karate and tkd guy. It's all in the training methods.

I agree. I was commenting on his statement that TMA's are "Useless". While a vast majority of MA practitioners these days are hacks and poseurs that's got nothing to do with the MA's they pretend to study. It's all about the individual and the training.

SevenStar
03-17-2006, 10:11 AM
Sure, its always about the individual! :) Why would it be anything else :confused: But, if you don't use your training and use something else, then why not do that something else.

Tested in time - in HK back in 70's students looking for new schools/systems didn't just pay a fee, they would challenge the instructor and only joined if they were convincingly beaten. The instructor would normally allow the new student/challenger to pick from his senior students. A duel would follow if the challenger won then existing students would leave the school. The challenger looses would join the school and introduce others. Challengers would have studied a previous system before.

I guess most schools today don't train their students to fight nor do most students want to train to fight. Self defense may be their aim.

I agree. I don't consider that a test of the style though, merely the individual. If a guy walked into a school to challenge, he just may have picked the one student that could beat him. Or, he may have just had an off day. I can't call that a test of the style, but just a test of the way YOU use the style.

metsubushi
03-21-2006, 11:39 PM
Yeah, how can you test a style anyway? Styles don't feel pain, no style has a will. Fights are about attributes, not styles. My belief is that every style on earth has what it takes to do the job. Whether it's a groin shot or a kimura lock, it's up to the man to make it happen. Which should go without saying.

But, this guy Barbarito has the worst analogies ever. Knife fighting just boggles my mind. One day someone is actually gonna use this knifefighting in a defense situation and find themselves locked up. You can't slice someone 347 times and walk away scot free. Jesus. This man is full of fear.

The Willow Sword
04-20-2006, 03:30 PM
I cant stop laughing at the analogies this guy was spouting to justify his little buisness venture. I also cant stop laughing at those eyebrows either(the hair do sure does match as well). LOL:D

TWS