PDA

View Full Version : common thing i see

David Jamieson
11-13-2005, 10:36 AM
Here is something I have been all too familiar with in the time i have studied martial art.

truism 1- you must practice in order to do what you have been shown.

truism 2 - although self correction is doable if you understand underlying principles, it is near impossible if you do not.

truism 3 - no one has all the answers, different sources are more valuable than a single source.

truism 4- principles are more important than stylistic considerations.

Having noted these, I find it curious that people assume they 'know' something after they have only been shown that thing. When application is made and failure ensues, the assumption is that the application is incorrect rather than looking at the truth which is simply that without practice, you cannot properly apply.

truism 5- your kungfu is your responsibility. It lies in your hands and mind. You can be shown many things, you can be involved enough to come to an understanding of principles that will readily show themselves in application.

truism 6- kungfu is inside you. lessons are the chisel on the stone that is holding the sculpture within. If you don't apply the chisel, the stone remains a stone and the image is not brought forth.

comments? Other observations? Bueller?

GunnedDownAtrocity
11-13-2005, 11:58 AM
several of them could be condensed into one or two, but i like them. especially 6. its all artsy and **** yet true.

i have noticed myself that all too often i look at sparring all the wrong way. even if i'm not verbally thinking it or trying to fit in specific techniques, i'm always wondering what im going to do to my opponent. i just need to learn to listen. my opponent is continuously telling me how he wants me to hurt him and all i have to do is oblige.

Matrix
11-13-2005, 12:56 PM
Having noted these, I find it curious that people assume they 'know' something after they have only been shown that thing.Because that's human nature. Most people want to believe that they have the inside track on "the truth". It gives them a sense of empowerment.

When application is made and failure ensues, the assumption is that the application is incorrect rather than looking at the truth which is simply that without practice, you cannot properly apply.Maybe that's because their entire self-image is tied to this "knowing", and if that is wrong then their whole self-image is out the window. Poeple often make decisions based on emotion, and reverse-engineer the logic in place aftwrds in order to justify their position. Once there, you may need to jaws-of-life to extract them from their entrenched beliefs.

We're funny critters aren't we. :D

SPJ
11-13-2005, 02:00 PM
Cool thread.

The teachers, vcd, classics and books only showed us the way or direction.

It is entirely up to us to make the journey (practice, understanding of the principles via practice etc).

Peace out.

:)