PDA

View Full Version : Have any of you internal lads tried out any of the Dragon Door fitness stuff?

Braden
04-13-2001, 09:06 PM
http://www.dragondoor.com/

I'm specifically wondering about Pavel's "Beyond Stretching" and "Relax Into Stretch", Matt Furey's "Combat Conditioning", and especially the "Zdorovye" and "Biokinetics/Biosomatics" stuff.

Danke.

Mr. Nemo
04-13-2001, 10:36 PM
I just got Matt Furey's "combat conditioning" about a week ago. I haven't had much of a chance to use it yet, since I came down with a nasty cold (damm!t) but what I've done so far was very encouraging. Hindu pushups and squats are certainly much harder than the normal variety, and the fact that you don't need equipment is very convenient.

It looks like that book is going to keep me busy for a while.

Repulsive Monkey
04-14-2001, 10:33 PM
To be honest I haven't had a detailed look at some of the stuff you mentioned, but looking at a Matt Furey article about 2Combat Training" I would have to say that it wouldn't benefit any Tai Chi martial artist in anyway to do some of the exercises hat he suggests. They don't seem to be beneficial to the spine or the cranial regions of the Pariteal and frontal lobes of the skull to be honest!. These exercises seem to be conditioning on an external level, and I hate to think what some of those head balancing exercises are gonna do to the Bladder channels of the head!!!

wujidude
04-14-2001, 11:41 PM
Braden:

Matt Furey's "Combat Conditioning" is excellent stuff. The production values of the tapes and the book are pretty basic, but they get the message across. Also, Furey is very accessible if you have specific questions. He's a pretty no-nonsense but light-hearted guy. By the way, Furey studied at some length with Ted Mancuso (I think it was taijiquan), in addition to all his wrestling background. That was before Matt moved to Florida.

Pavel's stuff is interesting, and does accord with some theory in exercise physiology. I would be careful about trying it out, though . . . I really think a tape would be the way to go. If you have a chance, he gives great seminars . . . he travels quite a bit, and I know his schedule should be available somewhere on the 'Net.

OldFatBaldGuy
04-15-2001, 01:37 AM
Pavel is remarkable. I attended one of his 'Beyond Stretching' seminars here in Denver and have his book....worth the price of admission IMHO.

Respectfully.

OldFatBaldGuy

"Madness takes its toll. Please have exact change."

IronFist
04-15-2001, 09:27 AM
I believe there is an article in this month's or last months BlackBelt mag (may be Inside Kung Fu) that gives some examples from his Combat Conditioning program.

The Hindu squats are good, especially if done on one leg.

Hindu pushups are good, but IMHO a better pushup routine can be found here:

www.geocities.com/Colosseum/Field/4992/100push.html (http://www.geocities.com/Colosseum/Field/4992/100push.html)

IF