PDA

View Full Version : Ran/walked 5.25 miles

fa_jing
11-14-2005, 10:43 AM
haven't run in about 6-7 years....ouch. It was an off-road race. I kept up with the pack for the 1st mile, then we did a hill and I hit the wall. Stopped to walk about 10 times. Finished in just under 50:00. Forgot how much fun running is. Note to self: beware of chafing, use baby powder and buy something lycra. Got huge blister on foot from threadbare sock.

Oso
11-14-2005, 11:09 AM
good job. my hips kill me on anything not uphill. plenty of hills round here but eventually you gotta run down something.

heh, I started wearing lycra shorts under everything a few years ago. now I can't stand doing anything physical (work or training) w/o em.

Chief Fox
11-15-2005, 04:10 PM
Nice job. 5.25 miles in 50 min is a 9:31 pace.

What I've done in the past in races where it's difficult to run (ie: big hills or have hit the wall). I drop it into my "granny gear" or I take baby steps. These are two terms I use for a very slow jog. I try not to "walk" at all.

I do this for a few reasons.

1. Mentally I still feel like I'm running even though I'm jogging at the same pace at wich I walk. This helps me to keep going.

2. The mechanics are the same as running so switching over to a run is easier. This also may just be another mental thing but it feels more difficult to switch from a walk to a run rather than a slow jog to a run. So, in theory, you use less energy and can run longer or faster.

Next time you're out running, try the old granny gear out. It doesn't work for everyone but it works for me.

fa_jing
11-16-2005, 10:46 AM
When I used to run, my friend had me do granny gear rather than walk. I say the #1 reason is so that you can say you ran the whole way, you didn't "cheat." I think I was too spent for the granny gear, though.

7-8 years ago I ran a 10 mile race and made 7:45 for the miles. Haven't run in years, though.

zooki
11-16-2005, 05:45 PM
Hi, thats quite good for such a long time without doing running or aerobic excercise.

The key is to keep it up, to do at least 30-40 mins running/jogging 3 times a week. The intensity of the run is upto the individual and depends on your goals.

IronFist
11-16-2005, 09:56 PM
One time, at my max, I ran 1.8 miles without stopping.

Then I decided I didn't like running.

It happened like this. One day in college I went running for like 1.1 miles. It was hard and I almost died. A week later I went running again with my gf, who does marathons for fun, and I got 1.8 miles (in 18 minutes, so a 10 minute mile pace). Holy crap. It was so hard. My gf runs like 6 miles and calls it a light day so she was making fun of me. I said let's go see who can deadlift more and she shut up. I think I passed out after that and she went back out and ran like 5 more miles.

I mean, really though, if I could do 1.8 miles on my second day then I could probably one day train to run about 2 miles or something. But I really didn't like it.

A few years later (a couple months ago), I went running two or three times. It was like 1 mile, and then like 1.2 miles. Same 10 minute mile pace (I don't seem to be able to go faster or slower). I decided I liked weightlifting more so I didn't do it again. I was just proud of myself for not stopping.

I may be in shi.tty cardio shape, but I can do one armed pullups, so bite me n00bs* :D

*I mean KFM n00bs who are going to read this and be like "o man u r in bad shape u cant even run 1 mile lolz haha u suck y r u giving out advice lol!!!11!1!1eleven!!11!!"

Slade
11-16-2005, 10:29 PM
Nice job Fa_Jing I gotta admit thats not a bad time considering you havnt done it it such a long time. Cant say ive had the problem with chaffing though and I do a 5 mile every 2 days or so. Maybe its just my pencil legs from all the running, nothing touches :P