PDA

View Full Version : cheongsam/long robe

ZhuiQuan
11-15-2005, 09:47 AM
Does anyone know a good source to find a long robe/cheongsam for men? I found one at asianideas.com, but does anyone know if they're any good? Or where else can I get an "authentic" long robe?

sean_stonehart
11-15-2005, 09:49 AM
jonie uniforms

ZhuiQuan
11-15-2005, 10:55 AM
Thanks for the response (although mysteriously vague). These are more expensive, but are they better or just over priced? I've encountered the most bad online shopping experiences since i started buying from martial arts supplies stores. I'm trying to avoid the rip off/knock off/flea market/swanky online market place stores. I was just recently screwed by Wing Lam Enterprises.

MasterKiller
11-15-2005, 11:35 AM
Jonie Uniforms is quality stuff. Maybe a little pricey, but good quality.

sean_stonehart
11-15-2005, 11:44 AM
I don't see how it's vague, but whatever. You're welcome.

Buddy
11-15-2005, 12:46 PM
Why not just wear a dress?

GeneChing
11-15-2005, 01:01 PM
I was just recently screwed by Wing Lam Enterprises. Explain that, ZhuiQuan, please. :confused:

NorthernShaolin
11-15-2005, 05:37 PM
Never had enough nerves to buy one and wear it but if you do buy one let me know the quality. I'm having second thoughts now that I'm older and dumber.

Go here:

http://www.orienttouch.com/product_info.php?products_id=808

Wong Fei Hong
11-15-2005, 05:54 PM
sorry to sidetrack but gene i ordered from wing lam about 8 years ago so i probably ordered when you were in charge and i must admit they were the only place online you could get really good rarer books from the east, i was always happy with them, until i managed to buy 1 of each of the books they were offering :D

Indestructible
11-15-2005, 09:41 PM
http://www.jonieuniforms.com/

Second for Jonie Uniforms.

ZhuiQuan
11-16-2005, 10:57 AM
I don't see how it's vague, but whatever. You're welcome.

Your message said nothing but the website address. That's why I said it was vague.

Explain that, ZhuiQuan, please. :confused:

I ordered "feiyue" shoes and a xiangqi set. The shoes were nothing like the feiyue's I have now. The soles were hard and flat, not soft and flexible. The fit was different too. I'm assuming they were knockoffs. Unless any company can use the phrase "feiyue". The chess set cost about $18, it was very cheaply made, the wood was very airy and brittle, the characters were sloppy, the ink was bleeding and the top layer of the board was already separating from the bottom. When I bought from Wing Lam I felt like I bought stuff from some trashy knick-knack store. That was just my experience.

David Jamieson
11-16-2005, 11:47 AM
Keep in mind that nothing looks tackier than a gwai lo in a 17th century scholars robe from China. :D

It looks even worse if you have a mullet. :p

Sifu Darkfist
11-16-2005, 12:03 PM
here is a link of a company that responds very fast with great pricing and good chinese clothing
http://asianideas.com/menscheongsam.html
James
yes i have bought from these guys several items

sean_stonehart
11-16-2005, 12:30 PM
Eh... could've swore I typed in a web address.

Well if you're not too keen on the mail order, you can always roll down to Mott Street in Chinatown to Bok Lei Po to buy hands on. If they don't have them, I'm sure they can direct you to somebody who does or maybe even a tailor who will hook you up something hand made... for the right price. ;)

GeneChing
11-16-2005, 12:43 PM
I addressed the issue of feiyue knockoffs in the infomercial I did on it a while ago. (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/ezine/article.php?article=527) Knock offs are a huge problem in Chinese products, of course. I can't comment on the chessboards since that product came in after my watch was over. As for the books, I was really into bookbuying for a while - my wife worked for Sierra Club books, so I went to ABA a lot back then. Anyway, thanks for the comments.

I've been trying to develop a nice 'fighting' cheongsam for a while here - it's a backburner project, but I would be interested in any comments about what works and what doesn't for those of you who've actually used them for training. I've already made a note: no mullets.

David Jamieson
11-16-2005, 12:55 PM
Removal of the mullet from robe wearing already has solved 78% of the overall problem related to formal robe usage . :D

I think knee length at the max with slits to the upper hip would allow for kicks and because the cut wouldn't go past the knee, there shouldn't be much interference between cloth and kick.

I still prefer sweats and a tee, but hey, I understand the need to look pretty while skipping around on the basketball court in your local highschool. :D

all in all, anything looks better than sky blue silks on a wushu boy. :p

ZhuiQuan
11-16-2005, 01:34 PM
Removal of the mullet from robe wearing already has solved 78% of the overall problem related to formal robe usage . :D

I think knee length at the max with slits to the upper hip would allow for kicks and because the cut wouldn't go past the knee, there shouldn't be much interference between cloth and kick.

I still prefer sweats and a tee, but hey, I understand the need to look pretty while skipping around on the basketball court in your local highschool. :D

all in all, anything looks better than sky blue silks on a wushu boy. :p

I don't know who that was directed to, but I thought it would be cool to have traditional formal wear for use during demonstrations or halloween. I prefer t-shirt and loose athletic pants for training. But hey, I understand the need to make sarcastic comments. And I'm with you on the sky blue silks thing... guhh..

shrub
11-16-2005, 03:06 PM
Look here for some real nice cheongsams:
http://web.6park.com/bbs/messages/89589.html

ZhuiQuan
11-16-2005, 07:33 PM
Clever, but I know cheongsam is a woman's dress. Gene Ching can you help me out here? The woman's cheongsam has a similar cut, but the men's cheongsam is a long robe that was worn as formal wear before the introduction of western suits right?

GeneChing
11-17-2005, 01:34 PM
Cheongsam is Cantonese - in Mandarin, it would be Changshan although they usually say Changpao. Literally, it means 'long shirt'. Now, just like in English, shirt is not sex-specific meaning boys and girls both wear shirts but only girls wear blouses (well, I've heard a rumor about KL, but...:p ). Of course, you can tell the difference between some women's shirts and some men's shirts, ie: men generally don't wear baby-doll shirts.

Those long women's dresses with the slits up to the armpits are sometimes called qipao, and they are one of the greatest inventions of China.

David Jamieson
11-17-2005, 01:50 PM
it's a Frock not a Blouse!

Don't mock the Frock G~!

:p

Hey, a guy can feel pretty every now and again can't he?

sean_stonehart
11-17-2005, 02:17 PM
Those long women's dresses with the slits up to the armpits are sometimes called qipao, and they are one of the greatest inventions of China.

Yes yes they are... qipao are truly wonders of fashion.

Now let's combine a little American fashion sense (or lack of) & create a baby doll qipao... :eek:

... and maybe smother them in nacho cheese sauce as well

David Jamieson
11-17-2005, 03:58 PM
hmmm, edible baby dolls, I think you're onto something there Sean.

and like the panties, buy three because you'll likely eat two of them on your way to her place. :D