PDA

View Full Version : ATTN Ray

SevenStar
11-15-2005, 01:56 PM
Why did you delte the second thread?

Actually, I can kind of see face2fist's point. I was gonna address it too... Here's one of the most recent posts:

My fear is to fall into your type of thinking and prepare for a long, multi round fight. I'm not interested in that. I don't care about a medal or trophy. I care about 1 thing: Can I beat a well trained San Da fighter in a fight? I'll know after the first real exchange.

After that I can go home a "winner" or a "loser" but I will have footage of me beating this guy as good as a human could beat another human with boxing gloves and head gear before officials pull me off of him.

That is my goal. That's what I'm training for. I'm not training for him to kick me, me to take it, circle, hit him afew time, have him grab the rope or slip, have it stop, get back up, do it a few more times, bell rings, breath heavy, bell rings again .... repeat for 9 minutes.

I'm 31 with $hit to do on a Sat. I'm going there to beat someone and go home with footage and share it with my friends over a pizza pie.

Going there to beat someone is fine - we all do that. We don't step in with the intention of trading blows. If you score a quick KO, that's always great, but if you go into it putting ALL of your focus on doing that and the guy thwarts your attempts, then the end of that footage will result in you getting beat like last time. Now, if you are cool with beating him for a few seconds then either withdrawing or losing later, then your idea is fine, I suppose, but the logical way is to train for the venue you are competing in. Since you are competing san shou, train for it. When you compete mma, train for it.

As far as your throwdowns only drawing kooks, this kinda goes with what FD and I have been saying - to get good competition, you should go to where the competition is. My guess is that the guys at ross' event will be much better than the guys at the throwdowns because this is what they are training for, and they want to be good at it.

Either way, good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Ray Pina
11-15-2005, 02:30 PM
I deleted it because I didn't feel it apropriate to insult him... felt bad about it. So if he, and anyone else, wants to continue telling me what I shoudl do and how I should do it even though I have more real life practical experience in being me -- and fighting -- then so be it. It's not my job to point out how rediculous it is to give me hell for fighting no rules, no gear, saying that I should go compete .... then when I go compete, telling me I'm taking the wrong aproach that I'd be better off fighting no gear, no rules ...... I'm flabbergasted that he can't see how retarted that is. And then add to the fact that he has done no fighting and still wants to tell me what's what.

How do you communicate with someone like that?

I really don't feel like discussing this subject anymore, because, well, I'm fighting in a few weeks and don't want negative energy and I'm not going to change anyway .... I'm an internal fighter. We don't train to be better conditioned. There's actually a good article in Grappler that starts by stating "with everyone doing the same thing, and conditioning like crazy" -- or something to that effect -- metal preporation comes into play.

I think that is true. But I am doing something different anyway. Do you really think it is wise now, 3 weeks before my fight, to try and train like you do? Or should I keep training the way I've been training, the way I've been winning NHB fights all summer and see what happens?

SevenStar
11-15-2005, 02:45 PM
we do plenty of mental preparation. It's a must. Three weeks out from the fight, I would be focusing on lightening up my weight training and increasing my aerobic conditioning. I replace weight training with more sport specific training and my plyometrics. But my final three weeks would be based on a 12 week cycle. Being that you have not been training that way, no, I would not start now. I'm referencing training for future san shou fights. the same will apply for mma.

Oso
11-15-2005, 03:34 PM
Ray, the most amazing thing to me is that you aren't giving any credit to the people who have been there and done that.

Seven, FatherDog and others have competed and have offered good advice.

You have to train for the venue you are going to fight in. Seven said it above but I'll repeat it because it's true.

You're being pretty hardheaded, dude. Maybe this event will be a reality check for you.

Mr Punch
11-16-2005, 05:18 AM
Ray, to summarise what I said on your other thread, props to you for fighting again.

And I'm not going to give you any advice on how to train, but I will say, if you don't do any conditioning, the chances of you losing will be a lot higher. That's not advice, that's a fact.

Wong Fei Hong
11-16-2005, 06:07 AM
I havent posted properly on this matter, apart from teasing ray for his bear posture, but on a serious note.

I think first of all i agree with ray that it sux when your going through a bad patch and everyone is negative around you and you start absorbing that.

Secondly I know where ray is coming from because i have been in pretty much IDENTICAL circumstances to which ray is in, in fact i thought i was the only one in the world it could happen to. When i read what he went through i was in shock because it was like he was telling everyone what happend to me.

In this light entering a competition isnt a way to go and win, its something that keeps it all together, just when you dont want to do anything with yourself you set a goal and try to accomplish it, the fight itself isnt so important more the fact that you dedicate yourself to training more than ever before.

Thirdly on the point of cardio and conditioning, All i can say is that this is personal preference, ive seen people who wanted to take out the other guy in the first few seconds do it well and ive seen other people who trained for this not only have to go 3 rounds but into extra time after that, obviously he lost on points.

So in this light i think its a personal style, you gotta be able to go a couple of rounds , just as a matter of fitness, but you cant tell someone whotrains for power to change this and try and go for 2-3 rounds. Esp so short before competition, not only this but its a matter of flavour, people always complain that kung fu is like kickboxing, etc so if someone wants to try and take people out as fast as possible then thats his personal choice since kung fu and internal arts were made for that.

SevenStar
11-16-2005, 11:44 AM
In this light entering a competition isnt a way to go and win, its something that keeps it all together, just when you dont want to do anything with yourself you set a goal and try to accomplish it, the fight itself isnt so important more the fact that you dedicate yourself to training more than ever before.

wrong. the fight is ALWAYS important. winning means nothing - the fight itself, is everything. If you don't think the fight matters, then you shouldn't be fighting.

Thirdly on the point of cardio and conditioning, All i can say is that this is personal preference, ive seen people who wanted to take out the other guy in the first few seconds do it well and ive seen other people who trained for this not only have to go 3 rounds but into extra time after that, obviously he lost on points.

regardless of conditioning, a quick win is the ideal.

So in this light i think its a personal style, you gotta be able to go a couple of rounds , just as a matter of fitness, but you cant tell someone whotrains for power to change this and try and go for 2-3 rounds.

sure you can. Even tyson in his prime was good for 4 rounds. And he was about as powerful as they come.

Esp so short before competition

this, I agree with.