PDA

View Full Version : Rolling and Push Hands

Boulder Student
02-15-2001, 02:25 AM
BJJ is good stuff. It is applicable, subtle, and devastating. Your actions are tied to your partners. Sensitivity is key.

Tai Chi Chuan is good stuff. It is applicable, subtle, and devastating. Your actions are tied to your partners. Sensitivity is key.

Rolling is push hands on the ground.

Push hands is stand up rolling.

One must toughen up without losing one's tenderness.

Water Dragon
02-15-2001, 05:53 AM
The sensitivity translates, but you need to learn the respective game or you wont know what to do with it.

Although there are many styles, they all depend on the strong beating the weak and the slow falling to the quick. These are not related to the power that must be learned -- Taiji Classics

Waidan
02-15-2001, 07:53 PM
I actually had this conversation with a bjj instructor earlier this week.

I was sitting in on a class and chatting with the teacher and a couple students. I told him I felt his style had a lot in common with taiji and bagua. When I explained the adhiering principles and sensitivity training involved, as well as the concept of moving from the center, they agreed.

Their rolling was very much like a push hands/trapping exercise. The advanced students are quite fluid and use relatively little force to trap and contain their partners.

I also attended a tournament held at the same school last weekend. The participants ranged a great deal in skill, but the movements of the advanced players were quick and very strategic, and used little unfocused muscular strength.

Kind of funny to see such a distantly related art following so many familiar concepts. One of the KFO members has the tag "There is only one martial art". Seems to apply.