PDA

View Full Version : Large CLF website?

Shaolindynasty
11-16-2005, 03:14 PM
Shaolin has russbo.com, are there any large Choy Lay Fut websites like that? I'd like to find a site that has allot of info, haven't had luck so far.

Ou Ji
11-16-2005, 03:53 PM
hskwarrior is working on one. Why don't you give him a hand and help build it into a big CLF website.

I think he wanted others to create CLF sites on zoomshare.com and link them all together.

Shaolindynasty
11-16-2005, 04:15 PM
zoomshare sucks, my computer freezes everytime I try to view one of his sites, or maybe my computer sucks

hskwarrior
11-16-2005, 04:44 PM
sorry, the photo's are pretty big, but i never have a problem nor has anyone else yet.

but i am working on a few sites, and if you have any suggestions on a different site, then i would be glad to work on something with you.

thanks for looking out ou ji.

right now im working on another one which includes the whole lau bun lineage all on one site. have to choose the best photo's and text and such.

i have reached my limit with "All" the photo's on zoomshare so i have to open another site as a continuation. but my site at http://hlk.zoomshare.com has a few new photo albums where i we demonstate basic horses, punches, and even some applications.

check it out.

peace.

Eddie
11-17-2005, 02:53 AM
i have the domain choylayfut.co.za for my school, but im sure i can add an extra folder for a big choylayfut site. maybe www.world.choylayfut.co.za or something. then everyone can contact me on how to upload the files to the site.

Lohanhero
11-17-2005, 12:14 PM
lol i have to say am i the only one who thinks kung fu looks bad in shorts (looking at horse stance pics from hsk's site) :P

hskwarrior
11-17-2005, 01:36 PM
Come on man, you're picking on someone wearing shorts. there's only one of those pictures, and that's the only thing you can come up with?

what looks bad about his gung fu or, in fact his horse?

why pick up that? at least my student has the guts to wear what he wants. i've seen people wear alot worse.

lets see you in a horse with shorts. nah, never mind. ugly thought.

Shaolindynasty
11-17-2005, 01:59 PM
Hskwarrior- I tried to view your site and it happened again!!! I can read it but can't see the pics.

Mika
11-17-2005, 02:29 PM
How about www.clfma.com ?

Shaolindynasty
11-17-2005, 02:49 PM
I used to really like thier old site with the info and forum etc. I'd imagine that the cost of keeping it up outweighed it's actual benifit

hskwarrior
11-17-2005, 04:59 PM
let me know what i can do to get you the site?

sorry this is happening.

peace

CLFNole
11-17-2005, 06:03 PM
Hey Frank:

I was going over your different websites and noticed a pic of you with a staff and was wondering if the Lau Bun line has the sheung garp dan tow gwun (single & double end staff) set. From the pic my guess is yes but just wanted to ask.

How many hand and weapon sets did Lau Bun teach?

Lohanhero
11-17-2005, 06:28 PM
my appologys, what i had said was not aimed at your friend nor at your school or anything like that, i was making a light hearted joke about shorts and peoples "sexy legs" ^^
by all means dress as you want, just take things with a light heart ^^

hskwarrior
11-17-2005, 06:33 PM
clfnole,

yes we do have the single and double ended stick. although, most likely our sets are set up different. But that is the basic openening to any stick form we do. as you know it turns into a single or double ended after the bow.

some of our stick sets are both single and double ended as well. maybe a later creation.

it is not known exactly how many sets lau bun taught. the fact of the matter is how much did Jew Leong keep from his students that Lau Bun taught him? From what i know is that lau bun learned everything that Yuen Hai taught him. which i believe is the older version of clf because lau bun came to the u.s. in the real ealy 1920's, sometime after Yuen hai died, and there were no other choy lee fut people in america until around the 1980's.

the first time we ever saw other choy lee fut was tat mau wong, and we called his stuff "hong Kong" stuff because it was much flashier than ours. but you must realize lau bun wasn't into clf for the fun of it, he used it to take people out. so the flashiness has been lost for decades.

peace.

hskwarrior
11-17-2005, 06:41 PM
also we teach the kwan do, tiger fork, spear, gate, double gate, bench, daggers, single and double whips, gim, doh, double doh, butterfly knives and shield, the stick with a broken end on it, the Hoe, we teach a few different stick sets, now my minds drawing a blank, but if i remember anymore, i'll let you know.

peace

CLFNole
11-17-2005, 07:04 PM
What do you mean by gate and double gate? Never heard of that one.

Although Tat Wong came around 1980 I am sure there was CLF here in the states but probably not taught openly. When did Lau Bun open his school in San Fran? I guess it was chinese only until Jew Leong. Did Lau Bun have any sihing/dai that came to the US?

hskwarrior
11-17-2005, 07:12 PM
What we call the gate and the double gate is the spear which has a quarter moon sickle shape. the single has one, and the double has one on each side of the spear.

the only choy lee fut that were known to do choy lee fut in the states until maybe tat mau wong, it was us and dof fai wongs group. seriously.

officially, lau bun opened in san francisco in 1939. however going back to the 1920's he was teaching clf in chinatown there under his school name of Wah Keung, then came to sf during to tong wars. our school now technically as lau bun started here is around 80 or 81 years old now.

no one since he took yuen hai in his later years. i think some of his contemporary's were fong yu shu, tong sek (fut sans tong sek) and a few others.

peace

CLFNole
11-17-2005, 07:21 PM
Oh okay, the gate is what is known as "gik" sometimes fong ting wah gik.

I wasn't implying that there were other schools than yours just other CLF people. With all the chinese that came here I am sure some where CLF people only they never taught openly.

hskwarrior
11-17-2005, 10:31 PM
i am sure that there may have been other choy lee fut people around back then, just no one teaching choy lee fut privetely or otherwise. if there were, im sure they would have contacted lau bun, anyone in chinatown that wanted to open a school all went to ask permission of Lau Bun first. it is pretty customary, and tat mau wong did that to my Sigung Jew Leong. he wanted to open up there, but jew leong said not in chinatown. that is why he opened outside of chinatown.

the san francisco chinese community is a tight knit one, and if something happened everyone would get wind of it.

the same goes for a certain well known master who claims he has had some legendary fights. however, no one in the chinese community has heard about it.

but, clf nole, Ark wong yuey and T.Y. Wong who was a Shaolin Fut Gar master were there shortly after Lau Bun. after that there was a big time span before any new gung fu masters emerged in the bay area. of course we had other styles there too.

Eddie
11-18-2005, 12:23 AM
Hi, this is bit of topic, but in the Bruce Lee documentaries they speak of Wong Jack Man and their legendary fight. How Old was Master Wong Jack Man when he fought Bruce Lee? Im tying this in with the story that no one before BL taught Westerners kung fu. Your school seems to have been open since before that.

hskwarrior
11-18-2005, 01:30 AM
Im assuming Wong Jack Man was in his early 30's late 20's. Joe Keit and I was there in texas when Hop Gar Master Dean Chin told his account of what happened since he was there.

He admitted that Professor Lau Bun and some of his students had a part to play in that. But I don't want to reveal too much without Sifu Chin's prior approval. I guess i can call him to check. i have his number.

But eddie, yes our school has been around since the early 1920's first starting in L.A. then brought to SF. For a while Lau Bun was the only gung fu teacher in the bay area alone. Then bruce lee came along and wanted to teach outsiders.

I joined the tien loong gung fu school in 1981 and came in on the tail end of that "Don't teach outsiders" mentality. that's why if you notice in a lot of the pictures, i am the only white guy there. some have come around, but none have stuck in through as i have ( not meaning to toot my own horn). basically i am the first caucasian person to make it to Lau Bun's family tree.

its funny, they were so serious about not teaching outsiders, the outsiders could catch them practicing gung fu and ask the person about it and the chinese person will act like he doesn't understand a word. i was crazy then because you didn't know if the chinese teacher was teaching his chinese students the real deal while teaching the outsiders bunk stuff.

but i made it through that period. thank god.

hsk

hskwarrior
11-18-2005, 01:35 AM
clfnole, is the "Gik" pronounced with a "guh" or "gee"?

does the lee koon hung lineage teach the gik?

CLFNole
11-18-2005, 07:56 AM
Frank:

It is kind of pronounced how it looks basically lick with a "g" instead.

I have seen a set before have pics of sifu with the weapon but I don't think he taught this much. Either that or it wasn't a weapon students were very interested in. Might be kind of like the drunken set most of the HK students didn't care for it.

Peace.

hskwarrior
11-18-2005, 08:42 AM
we don't really care about the drunken set either. i mean its nice to have, but that's about it.

did lkh teach the garden ho?

CLFNole
11-18-2005, 10:03 AM
Yes we have that set also the chinese name for hoe is "chau tow". This one was also not to popular and is a bit boring if you ask me.

Back on the drunken set. I remember being so eager to learn it then years later realized that the whole drunken concept is somewhat stupid. I mean if someone knows your not drunk and that you are acting drunk whats the sense. People say "when using drunken .... they don't know where the attacks are coming from" Yeah, but you can be unpredicatable with your attacks while sober also.

I think drunken sets were created for visual appeal only and more and more were made when chinese realized that most gwai lo's eat that **** up. :D

hskwarrior
11-18-2005, 01:09 PM
you're right,

your outsider gwai lo does eat that up, and that is why they are so attracted to the esoteric side of gung fu, and believe that nonsense.

however, i feel that if you have a good drunken set, it can teach you a few things about body placement, balance, how to strike from strange angles. aside from the strange angles which you can get being sober, i think there are some benefits, physically, and mentally, but fighting wise.

so what were the other weapons that were not liked all that much?

CLFNole
11-18-2005, 03:02 PM
Frank:

I agree the drunken set is good to know and helps with different angles and might work once or twice in fooling someone that your drunk. Overall though I don't think acting drunk will help to achieve any advantage in the modern world.

As far as the weapons go many of the kwan do type things were not that popular, the kwan do or dai do were but things like the hoe, monk spade, gik, crescent moon spade or gold coin lance were not that popular. Also hook swords and I heard we had a double axe set although I never saw anyone perform it. I am not sure these weapons were not liked just not as popular.

I would say staff and spear were most popular considering the number of sets we have. Flexible weapons like 3-sec staff, 9-sec whip and double 3-sec whip were popular as was broadsword & butterfly knives.

Peace.

Troy Dunwood
11-20-2005, 11:48 PM
Forgive me guys but I had to speak on this, when considering drunken boxing as a fighting style, consider the mentality of a drunk, this is what was taught by my teacher Lau Yee Chan of the Eight immortals system. Yes there are techniques unique to this school alone. The eight immortals style does not imitate one as if he was drunk in a fight much like Tai Shing Pek Kwar doesn't imitate monkey when they fight, nor does white crane imitate a bird when they fight, but the tactic are very deceptive and relentless. Last but not least because this system originated in Mo Dong(wu tang), consider its energy and sensitivity which is most important, explosive power, inch power, reeling power etc. Most find it hard to learn because to truly understand eight immortals style one must understand the relationship between intent, energy and spirit.

Troy Dunwood