PDA

View Full Version : Pong Lai Mantis videos

Hua Lin Laoshi
11-17-2005, 05:34 PM
Ok, since there is interest in seeing Pong Lai mantis I volunteered to post some video I have from Nick Scrima's tournament in 2001.

Yu Shan checked with his Sifu and got the ok to post them. The links are in the Videos thread at the top of the forum.

When Kevin gets back online he can explain the clip of Master Shr.

I would post some Wah Lum but I don't expect to be getting approval for that so this is all I can do for now. Enjoy.

Hua Lin Laoshi
11-18-2005, 07:21 AM
Ok guys, I think you're forgetting that comments about video clips go in the associated thread (here).

Anyhow I was just capturing video into the computer and remembered there were requests for Pong Lai stuff.

If too many peeps have trouble viewing it I'll try converting it to another format.

shirkers1
11-18-2005, 07:28 AM
I had no problems watching them.. :) Thanks for posting. I've had the pleasure of working side by side with these guys and it was a lot of fun. :) Now if only we could get some clips of yu shan banging out some two man.. :D

DISCLAIMER: before any one freaks out and insinuates that I'm trying to throw in a gay erotic joke don't go there. I was talking about two man mantis drills and yu shan's love of hitting hard.

I love having to explain myself in every detail now by the way..:rolleyes:

yu shan
11-18-2005, 07:35 AM
Hua Lin Laoshi

I justed wanted to thank you for this effort. I have wanted to put stuff up but Shifu John said to wait. He is working on a website that will have plenty of clips of our material there. Who knows maybe someday I can have this on my website.

About Wah Lum video, I have some awesome footage. What do you think? Maybe it could let alot of folks see what you guys have.

My poor kf brother had just learned this form and to be quite honest, I think he was basically fighting just to keep from getting his head knocked off. It is not real fun doing partnered forms with Shifu, he doesnt f*ck around. There is better video of Steve and John doing this form, especially the Grand Opening show in Tampa. Shifu John unloads on Steve with roundhouse kick (sorry no fancy kf name) and sounds like a shotgun going off. Shifu John sent me home with a massive bruise from the deltoid to the elbow from this kick.

Jake, no secrecy with us, we have had quite a few seminars open to everyone. Master Shr`s seminars are not just hours long, he is usually here for a couple of weeks, so you can learn a ton of stuff. Steve Cottrell has seen him in action.

We are all looking forward to Shifu Kevin Brazier coming home. I hope to support anything he does.

yu shan
11-18-2005, 07:41 AM
I`m trying my man I`m trying!:D Soon as I get the green light. Heck instead of my ugly mug, think I would rather put up some of my cuties bopping the crap out of each other. cuties = female students juz wanted to make that clear. ;)

Hua Lin Laoshi
11-18-2005, 07:59 AM
I'm sure footage of public demos wouldn't be a problem. All the sets are either created specifically for performance or are modified so the standard curriculum forms are never shown.

It's nice to get the players permission too but that's not always possible.

yu shan
11-18-2005, 08:39 AM
Teach you.... you will have to give me the inner core of mantis first! ;)

mantid1
11-18-2005, 09:16 AM
Yushan

I can teach you how to get the inner core of the mantis boxer. But, first I would have to ask my teacher. He would have to ask his teacher. His teacher would have to have a seance with his teacher and his teachers teacher and of course....Wang Lang. Then Wang Lang would have to find someone who is a pet psychic to communicate with the original praying mantis via pet seance to get permission for me to teach you the inner core.

This can be a problem. I have to tell you that Wang Lang did not have permission from the mantis to use his techniques. Yes, Wang Lang stole the techniques. This may re spark a very old feud. This was the first split in the mantis family. Wang Lang was not even a disciple of the mantis.

This may take some time to get permission. You have to realize that my stuff is better than others and I dont want people to get it.

Well, on second thought, I will email you a video of the core of the mantis boxer. Just dont post it or tell anyone you have it:)

I know for a fact I cant give you 8 elbows. That form is WAAAY to secret:D

Have a nice day

Oso
11-18-2005, 09:31 AM
LOL at mantid1....too funny.

yu shan
11-18-2005, 09:44 AM
Mantid1

LOL that is some funny sh*t man. I`m going to laugh about that the rest of my day... thanks!

Shirkers

I know what you meant bro, aint no ****phobia here.

mantid1
11-18-2005, 09:58 AM
Well the thing that uset the mantis the most was that while Wang Lang only trained with him a short time he was going BEHIND HIS BACK and training with 17other peaple! Can you believe that? Then after training with all of those people he had the nerve to name it "Praying Mantis Kung fu". The mantis was so diluted it did not exist in the style.

The history of the 12 key words is even worse.:(

EarthDragon
11-18-2005, 12:40 PM
Hey mantid1 do you think all systems of kung fu share this dilema? It's to funny that every mantis player out there can relate to what your saying..... even in the same school! LOL

mantid1
11-18-2005, 05:39 PM
Once again, the vids look great.

Earth Dragon

I know all systems have this dilema. Forms and "secret" information are to commrcial Chinese kung fu schools as to what colored belts are to Karate. "Power"over another human.

This secret information can also play the same type of roll in the traditional school, but not as often. I have figured out why some of these masters are holding out. I have had two students go off and decide to open their own "clubs" in the past year. The amazing thing is that it was not mantis kung fu but tai chi. Neither of these guys were good. Both over weight and out of shape and do not understand the concept at all because they are to lazy to practice. I never gave them permission to teach

If fact the the last old guy went 3 miles from my school to a yoga place to teach. He cant get through the form by his own memory and cant stand long enough to get through the second section. I have already hadpeople come into my school and tell me they were going to take classes there. When I ask why they say because the yoga place is cheaper. Not my current students.

This old guy came to me three months ago and said he wanted to teach there. I said no. You do not have the knowledge and are physically to weak to do it. I didnt come out and tell him how lousy he was. He said he had neighbors that wanted to learn. I said bring your friends to my school during the day and you can try to work with them. If they want to pay you something you can keep all of the money. I thought I was fair and he was able to save face. But I told him t remember he is not a teacher.

Did I mention that he just came back to class two weeks ago because he was out with back pain? To fat you know. I told him he did not have to pay me. Then this.

I can see why some instructors hold back. I hope I will not let myself do this. I do know that I dont enjoy teaching the higher level stuff anymore. Cant trust anyone.

The satisfaction I do get is knowing that these guys are going to die some day. It may be a slow and miserable death.

Other than that I am not bitter at all.

Go ahead and move this on Bei. Just needed to vent.

Its your turn to tell me to work my qigong now dragon:)

Frogman
11-19-2005, 03:11 PM
Wow that su[ks!!! In the long run after a given time some of your former student’s students may see that he is not all that and come seeking you for the training they desire.

As for Wong Long I heard that he was very disrespectful to his teacher poking him with a stick and all. I would also expect that Wong Long did not speak praying mantis very well and would be willing to bet that a lot of material was lost in translation.
:eek:
fm