PDA

View Full Version : Allan Lee feedback

BetaSao
11-18-2005, 07:06 AM
Hey you all, I would like some pointers from those who are familiar with Allan Lee in NYC. I have a good friend who is moving to the area and is considering studying WC with him. Do any of you know him, know of him, and have any thoughts that you would like to share? I understand that he studied under Lok Yiu and Duncan Leung, and possibly also under Yip Man at one point in time.

Any feedback is much appreciated. Thanks.

Phil Redmond
11-18-2005, 02:09 PM
Hey you all, I would like some pointers from those who are familiar with Allan Lee in NYC. I have a good friend who is moving to the area and is considering studying WC with him. Do any of you know him, know of him, and have any thoughts that you would like to share? I understand that he studied under Lok Yiu and Duncan Leung, and possibly also under Yip Man at one point in time.

He's a very good teacher. I know personally.
Phil

FooFighter
11-18-2005, 02:48 PM
Betasao,

This is kind of bias of me because I know Lee Sifu personally however from my experience with him, he is an exceptional, demanding, and dedicated instructor who takes his gung fu seriously. Lee sifu's experience and insight of his art speaks for itself and his integrity for his art is amazing. What attracted me to him the most as his understanding of wing chun theory and application and the way he could communicate his art to me. He made me feel the difference both intellectually and physically. He made me think for myself and was sometimes harsh about it. Demanding that I should think for myself and not believe him completely. "Bao, how old am I?" I replied, "Sifu, you are you older than me. "Right, how many years do you think I have? You have to think for yourself because I will not be here forever. A wing chun student must test the art for himself and look for his own understanding. I will tell you how to do this again, but use your head and think, Bao. I will not be here forever." Lee sifu is a candid and funny man when explaining his art. He would sometimes give me you stupid fool look but had the compassion to help this fool out. LOL. He didn't dance a carrot over me or treated me differently than my juniors or seniors or created a false sense of pride in my ability. He demanded better and you knew what better meant. He would call it how he saw it. If you were good, then you are good. People can see it in your performance. No rank or belt was needed to comfirm this fact. Maybe a junior can outshine his senior (this has happened before), but at his school everyone respect everyone regardless of class status. What matters at his school is your attendance record, performance, and your understanding of the system. I was also attracted to the specific and unique wing chun exercises which develop combative attritubes unique to wing chun gung fu. Lastly, I was extermely attracted to the physical contact nature of his wing chun which added more confidence for me in the system. I hated mirror or karate drills commands practice because I have ADD. LOL. (Never was attracted to formal Japanese/Korean systems because of this reason) People at his school wear protective gear to learn wing chun techniques. This way you can throw some force and pressure behind your attacks and allow the wing chun do his wing chun techniques without you being hurt as the attacker. The protective gears are wore to protect ourselves from the wing chun techniques and not from the attacker. Your friend will learn the theory and reasoning behind all fighting applications from Lee Sifu. He will make you think and do deeply into the practice. As always, I would highly recommended that your friend to visit Lee's school and go to other wing chun schools to see what works for him. Shop around and make a wise investment in time and money. Because one man's sifu, may be a A-hole to another, right? Money can be replace, but your time cannot be replace. Good luck to your friend. If your friend need any help or has any questions, please refer to www.wingchunnyc.com

marcus_pasram
11-18-2005, 11:11 PM
Hi,

They're plenty of Wing Chun schools in NYC. Your friend should visit them to find out which one is best suited for his/her goals. That being said, if your friend has the time to qualify for SiFu's attendance requirement, he will have a very practical and realistic approach to Martial Arts and Wing Chun specifically. SiFu Lee is a very strict, rigorous and demanding instructor. One of his favourite proverbs, which he takes to heart, is "Teaching without seriousness is a teacher's laziness, Jade that is unpolished is not Jewelry."

You might find SiFu Lee's recent articles helpful: Selecting a School (http://www.wingchunnyc.com/html/articles/xselecting_a_school.htm) and The Essence of Wing Chun (http://www.wingchunnyc.com/html/articles/xEssence.htm)

Good luck,
Marcus