PDA

View Full Version : Tai Chi decline

mantid1
11-19-2005, 07:59 PM
For the instructors or anyone else into the Tai Chi.

Has anyone else noticed a drop in their class sizes in the last year?

My classes went to having 18 to 20 people down to 5.

I know that tai chi is not the "thing" right now.

I have noticed that the yoga craze my be dying down a little also.

What is big now?

Thanks for any input.

Slade
11-19-2005, 09:45 PM
I hate to say it but GOOD, im sick of tai chi being this health dance thing, maybe it finally can mend its ways and once again be known as a martial art.

SPJ
11-20-2005, 08:43 AM
Qi Gong is always big since the Song dynasty.

:D

shog
11-20-2005, 11:25 AM
Taijiquan would be fine, if not for the ignorant, pious, hypocritical Christian groups and online forums pushing it as new age spiritualism.

I agree that we need to market it friends and neighbors, and the world, that it is one of the oldest, and finest martial art systems out there today, incorporating principles from most every CMA.

The Martial Arts are about pugilism (that is, they come from societies that were based upon feudal dynasties, warring states, etc), not religion.

Sadly, religious groups use the physical and mental aspects of refining, and balancing one's body as done in Taijiquan and Qigong, for their own selfish ways toward enlightenment, which is nothing more than an altered state of consciousness.

The arrogance of the western mind does not surprise me. They need a little more accepting of their fellow human beings, and learn what it means to learn from history, and not try to twist it into their own ethnocentric closed mindset.

Let's leave Martial Arts as it is meant to be, and as it was. It's only fair to preserve history, and not twist it around for your own selfish religious 'calling'...

Perhaps the more we post what the Martial Arts are really about, the more some will get the clue.

It may not be pretty, and it is primarily physical, but it's not religion.

:)

yu shan
11-20-2005, 05:00 PM
Mantid1

I have been wondering about this phenomenon. Basically I think it is just laziness! This lazy attitude and with all the s h i t going on in the world, people seem to be weirdin`out. Have you noticed how much mental illness there is now? Anyway, my Taiji teacher is doing OK, but as good as he is, I wish people would take advantage of his teachings. I push my kf students to study with him, most would rather sleep in, this generation is slothful. I hate this "rather sleep in mentality". JMO

Scott R. Brown
11-20-2005, 05:28 PM
“The wise man strives to not become what he despises most!”

There is room for everyone within the “Supreme Ultimate”! If there was not room enough then it wouldn’t be supreme or ultimate.

We all train for our own reasons. Some train for combat, some for self-defense, some for personal improvement, and some for exercise. None of these are the one true expression of Tai Chi. Each has meaning within its context!

Tai Chi may have been primarily devised as a self-defense or combat form, (and I don’t necessarily subscribe to this view.) but that does not detract from its other expressions. We each find meaning in Tai Chi according to our own purposes. My purpose is not necessarily yours, yours is not necessarily mine. We may have some common purpose or we may not, but we will each express Supreme Ultimate according to our individual personality and purpose.

Life is a process that occurs in cycles. Tai Chi became prominent in the late 60’s and early 70’s, as well as yoga, then went through a period of decline. Both found renewed popularity in the 90’s and now a new Yin cycle may have begun. Yang too will return in time, it is inevitable.

We will approach our highest skill when we explore our own personal expression of Tai Chi and remain not only open to sharing it with those who find meaning in our expression, but open to the expressions of Tai Chi by others of differing purpose.

imperialtaichi
11-20-2005, 06:33 PM
Hmmm...

I don't find the numbers dropping. In fact, I am finding more demand.

However, I do find that more people are looking for fitness, wellbeing and "looking" good, and less on the martial art side of Tai Chi. But if I have to teach Tai Chi for the mind body spirit hippy spin, I rather not do it at all.

At the moment, I am also teaching a Bokken class, and I do find that more people can identify and appreciate with it than Tai Chi in general. It is a lot easier to teach, and everyone's having lots of fun and very much enjoyable. :)

The problem with Tai Chi is that to really get something good out of it requires a lot of dedication. Most people do martial arts for fun these days, and Tai Chi is not really delivering what they want.

Cheers,
John

shog
11-21-2005, 10:24 PM
Most people do martial arts for fun these days, and Tai Chi is not really delivering what they want.

I agree with that statement whole heartedly.

Perhaps it is up to the instructor to liven things up, and make it fun, as a Martial Art, and less appealing as some religion or health craze.

I agree that at the very least it is healthy, and good for you.

I also agree with the fact that in order to at least preserve it for health reasons, then we should at least teach the long form along with push hands.

But the true yin and yang effect, that is when they combine to become Taijiquan, (note the use of the required term 'quan'), then and only then does Taijiquan truly become Supreme Ultimate Fist.

Again, perhaps it is time that instructors evolve a bit in order to meet the changing demands of society.

sayloc
11-22-2005, 06:56 AM
Some great posts.

I have to think that I agree with most of them. I do think it is Yin right now but will come back around.

As for it being a martial art. I agree. I came to the conclusion a few years ago that I am only teaching a very few "Tai Chi" . The rest are just killing time.

I think I will go back to 5 or ten students in my program and not except anyone that I do not feel can do it. My standards for accepting students have just gone up.

I have had two students in tai chi go off and start "teaching" . They were only beginners. Like Yushan said they were lazy. Just because they spent a few years in and out they thought they were "good". I am afraid this type of "teacher" represents 95% of the tai chi Insturctors out there.

It is sad.

Ray Pina
11-22-2005, 10:00 AM
Do your practice, let everything else take care of itself. Worrying about what the "next in thing is" is no starting point for self cultivation or the improvement of technique.

When you are secure in your own way, other's way will only make you identify more closely with your own. Like when certain individuals insist that I need to "condition" like a boxer to fight. To me, that is only more evidence as to why I am on the right path for me.

If you change with every fancy ... you'd be doing karate, then ninjitsu, then kung fu, then Gracue jujitsu, then MMA then Thai Boxing and MMA, etc., etc., etc.

Find your way and stick to it, veen if that means changing in your way later.

shadowlin
11-22-2005, 01:18 PM
Taijiquan would be fine, if not for the ignorant, pious, hypocritical Christian groups and online forums pushing it as new age spiritualism.

I agree that we need to market it friends and neighbors, and the world, that it is one of the oldest, and finest martial art systems out there today, incorporating principles from most every CMA.

The Martial Arts are about pugilism (that is, they come from societies that were based upon feudal dynasties, warring states, etc), not religion.

Sadly, religious groups use the physical and mental aspects of refining, and balancing one's body as done in Taijiquan and Qigong, for their own selfish ways toward enlightenment, which is nothing more than an altered state of consciousness.

The arrogance of the western mind does not surprise me. They need a little more accepting of their fellow human beings, and learn what it means to learn from history, and not try to twist it into their own ethnocentric closed mindset.

Let's leave Martial Arts as it is meant to be, and as it was. It's only fair to preserve history, and not twist it around for your own selfish religious 'calling'...

Perhaps the more we post what the Martial Arts are really about, the more some will get the clue.

It may not be pretty, and it is primarily physical, but it's not religion.

ironically, the very things you harp about as being Western are the very same follies you're making in your post. :rolleyes:

TaiChiBob
11-23-2005, 06:37 AM
Greetings..

Something can be "spiritual" without being "religious".. we often refer to the martial "spirit", that elusive quality that indicates the depth of our understanding of the art.. it is the signature of our intentions..

I don't see a decline in the interest in Taiji.. i do see a more educated public, they are becoming more aware of the differences between authentic Taiji and "feel-good" Taiji.. noting the lack of authentic Taiji teachers, i think there is a disillusionment with the general offering of Taiji instruction..

I also think there is an "expectation" of the general public that the Taiji instructor is some wise sage-like character.. and, at some level, we need to feed that expectation.. not with BS but with genuine understanding of the history and philosophy that is inherent to the art.. Those that insist that Taiji is purely a martial art are in denial of its broader applications and potentials.. but, make no mistake, i fall squarely on the side of those that recognize Taiji as a valid and formidible martial art, i simply don't confine it to that definition..

Taiji marketing is like fishing.. we can be purists and try to grab the fish as it swims by.. or, we can use shiny lures and be a bit more successful.. it has been my experience that students like uniforms with an oriental flavor, it seems to impart a feeling that they are doing something "special", and they are.. sometimes we downplay the uniqueness of the art in favor of our own understandings and forget that the student has an entirely different perspective.. The object is to keep the student's interest long enough for them to have a real Taiji experience, then the rest will take care of itself..

Taiji doesn't decline.. it is what it is.. interest and presentation may vary, though..

Be well..

shog
11-23-2005, 11:35 AM
ironically, the very things you harp about as being Western are the very same follies you're making in your post.

I am being anti-western in my thought, though western myself by region, but not necessarily philosophy.

I believe that there is a baseline human condition or experience with all things, and to view the world with a set of particular philosophies is wrong.

I agree with TaichiBob that their is spiritual and that their is religion.

Each of us have our own human spirit. Each of us have our own religion.

Each of us strives to cultivate our spirit, either through religion or some other practice.

Some of us strive for enlightenment, others reincarnation, various few - nothing but the physical best, and yet others for salvation.

My path is toward salvation. However, to each their own.

My point is that Taijiquan is no less spiritual than american football...Both are esoteric, and contain many ethnocentric values that only those that truly digest them understand.

I am not saying be 'trendy', rather, it wouldn't hurt to make Taijiquan as alive as it is meant to be.

When we do not do this, yes, there is too much Yin, and not enough Yang. I also agree that Yang will reappear at some point, but believe that it is mankind that brings it together, or should.

shog
11-27-2005, 09:43 AM
The masters could do Taijiquan fast, and with fajing, etc. T

heir boxing skills were also extremely quick ~ they were fighters.

The Taijiquan form is just part of the equation.

That is what is often overlooked. They take out the 'quan'...