PDA

View Full Version : Wong Shun Leung Science of Infighting: Sequals???

5thBrother
11-21-2005, 02:55 AM
cleaning my house cos moving and came across "wing chun the science of in-fighting" ... loong time no watch, so relaxed and watched...

anyways at the end there is WSL demonstrating parts of chum kiu, mok jong, bart jam do etc and the voiceover is saying something like "in the companion volume we will be looking at chum kiu form.... and we will look at the weapons on wing chun such as the bart jarm do in other volumes"

I'm thinking these were never actually made , or at least released. would that be correct?

in otherwords and there several sequal volumes "the science of in-fighting by WSL" ? such as one on chum kiu and intermediate wing chun, or WC wooden dummy etc

thank you

russellsherry
11-21-2005, 04:26 PM
hi 5th brother no the secound volume, was never made sifu wong was never paid for that and as i understand it sifu wong was going to do a ten volume set with george tan or somebody but passed away very sadly before he could make the videos peace russellsherry

5thBrother
11-23-2005, 03:51 AM
hi.

a shame he didnt have a chance to make his video series that would of been awsome. and sucks if he got ripped off on the science of infighting video!

thanks!

Anisole
12-14-2005, 11:52 PM
in addition there are wrong execution of techniques in that vid.

well you guys probably already know this.

Nick Forrer
12-15-2005, 05:23 AM
The majority of the video is kosher.............there are only a few deliberate mistakes...............it still remains a good testemant (sp?) to WSL's level of WC skill

CFT
12-15-2005, 09:12 AM
Nick,

Can you enlighten us as to what these are. I watched this a fair time ago so I can't remember seeing any.

lawrenceofidaho
12-16-2005, 11:14 PM
there are only a few deliberate mistakes
Help us out, please.........

Will you name a couple of the mistakes so we might watch it again with an eye for them?

-L

atlwingchun
12-17-2005, 05:20 AM
I know that jason lau trained on the same street as wong and they didn't meet till the 80's in chicago I belive that was where.Anyways they became good friends and drinking buddys. really the only one from the yip man family that lau got along with lau is said to have one of only a few original copys on 8mm and it has alot more stuff than the one sold i'll try to find out more on that.

Nick Forrer
12-17-2005, 10:35 AM
Help us out, please.........

Will you name a couple of the mistakes so we might watch it again with an eye for them?

-L

Okay okay, just cos its Xmas.....

The section where he shows tan da- the punch is off centre...... even though he is turning the centreline remains the same hence the punch should be on it

Also he does the forms at the end at breakneck speed......in reality he did them at a much slower pace

He also shows the scrapping hand action at the end of SLT as a way of breaking a grip...however the way he shows is not the way you should really do it.......and in any event thats not really the concept behind that section (although turning the palm up does give you the starting point for breaking a grip).

Actually the guy to ask is David Peterson.....However he didnt give a list when asked before on another forum what they were (for whatever reason- he may not have seen the request, may have been too busy to answer etc.)....I think he said though that there are about 7 in total.

lawrenceofidaho
12-18-2005, 09:21 AM
Thanks, Nick....... :)

Ultimatewingchun
12-18-2005, 09:39 AM
"The section where he shows tan da- the punch is off centre...... even though he is turning the centreline remains the same hence the punch should be on it." (Nick)

***COULDN'T DISAGREE MORE, Nick...

Turning the centerline to face the point of contact with your tan sao (against a punch being thrown) is absolutley the best way to go - which means that returning the fire (the punch that accompanies the tan) will, by necessity, not be on the same exact line.

Wong knew what he was doing. ;)

Nick Forrer
12-18-2005, 02:55 PM
Victor..I think (from what you write) that we have a different understanding of the centreline. For me the centre line is the two dimensional plane that interconnects via a straight line my central axis with that of my opponent. It is like a compass needle that always points magnetically north irrespective of which way I am facing. Thus no matter which way my opponent or I are oriented the centreline always describes the shortest distance between our respective central axes. So there is not MY centreline or HIS centreline- there is only THE centreline.
By way of illustration: If I and my opponent are facing each other and then my opponent turns to the side the centreline does not shift- it remains the same- thus i do not run around to the front of him to hit his 'centre'- i hit it from where I am, taking the shortest route to his central axis- consequently in this scenario my point of contact will be either his ribs, his shoulder or the side of his head but in each case the target is still the same - namely his central axis.

So provided my opponent stays in the same place the centreline does not shift just because the orientation of my body (as in - which way I am facing) changes.

I think we are actually saying the same thing just with different terminology or at least we mean different things by the same terminology........

Ultimatewingchun
12-18-2005, 05:21 PM
We're not saying the same thing, Nick.

I was taught exactly what you describe during my years with Moy Yat.

But with William Cheung it's different...and I think WSL was using some of the same principles as William - in certain instances.

What you describe works best at a very close range...not so at any other range. That's been my experience, as well as what I've learned from William Cheung in terms of theory.